Welcome to the Fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Movie Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 360, 361, 362

View previous topic :: View next topic  
WheelsOfConfusion

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I picked up Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers from the first episode and made it most of the way through some of Power Rangers Turbo and the accompanying movie. After that, meh. What started as awesome schlock started taking its "continuity" too seriously.
Marik

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

to properly judge this nostalgia-job movie i need five posters with attitude
Vixine

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Linkara thought it was okay. He is basically my reference point for all things Power Rangers related.

Shit, no, augh, now I want to rewatch all of History of Power Rangers again.
Taemon

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So... the new Blade Runner?
Like, sexist as fuck?
Usagi Miyamoto

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 1:56 am    Post subject: Spoiler alert Reply with quote

There is only one woman (to be specific, Lt. Joshi) in Blade Runner 2049. She is not, shall we say, shown as an object of desire, played to the male gaze. I would go so far as to say that the role was not gender-specific. The Bechdel test is therefore failed on a technicality.

There are many other female-looking characters, some whose purpose and motivations are intentionally the most sexist imaginable, literally created as sex toys and companions for men. It would be weird if they didn't play to cishet male fantasy. The rest are more opaque, but clearly both alien and suspect. Almost all are depicted as psychopathic, or psychically damaged. They are not... human.

It's interesting, the reactions I've seen to the replicant having an AI girlfriend. Does it represent a kind of slave to another slave? Is it just two different sorts of robots playing house? Variations on a Pinocchio theme? Racter chatting up Eliza in the mid-twenty-first century? Could she be or do anything other than what she is and does?

The advertising, the Joi toys, the Vegas megastatuary, the naked newborn yet fully grown replicant slathered in amniotic goo, they all drive objectification home with a sledgehammer. This seems to go beyond ordinary kinds of sexist voyeurism, the kind that sucks the audience into complicity. Instead it becomes more of a "look what I've done here" kind of meta-commentary on sexist depictions. It isn't... titillating. It knits your brow into concern, worried about what it means.

Sexist? Yes, and also no. Humanist? Also yes, and no. Unsettling, for sure.

I really want to see it again.
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was told that much of the movie was superfluous visual masturbation and the whole thing could've been at least 30 min shorter.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Ookamo

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darqcyde wrote:
I was told that much of the movie was superfluous visual masturbation and the whole thing could've been at least 30 min shorter.

On paper, sure, but it's meant to be visual masturbation.

I just wish it generated more ticket sales. We could use more films like this.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:47 am    Post subject: Re: Spoiler alert Reply with quote

Usagi Miyamoto wrote:
There is only one woman (to be specific, Lt. Joshi) in Blade Runner 2049. She is not, shall we say, shown as an object of desire, played to the male gaze. I would go so far as to say that the role was not gender-specific. The Bechdel test is therefore failed on a technicality.

There are many other female-looking characters, some whose purpose and motivations are intentionally the most sexist imaginable, literally created as sex toys and companions for men. It would be weird if they didn't play to cishet male fantasy. The rest are more opaque, but clearly both alien and suspect. Almost all are depicted as psychopathic, or psychically damaged. They are not... human.

This forum really is the worst place possible to come up with the sentient toaster-argument. They are not human, but they certainly are female and they are made to suffer because of it.

Usagi Miyamoto wrote:
It's interesting, the reactions I've seen to the replicant having an AI girlfriend. Does it represent a kind of slave to another slave? Is it just two different sorts of robots playing house? Variations on a Pinocchio theme? Racter chatting up Eliza in the mid-twenty-first century? Could she be or do anything other than what she is and does?

I don't mind that his girlfriend is an AI. I mind that his girlfriend is a Republican's wet dream and that this is shown as a good thing. A great thing. A fantastic thing.

Usagi Miyamoto wrote:
The advertising, the Joi toys, the Vegas megastatuary, the naked newborn yet fully grown replicant slathered in amniotic goo, they all drive objectification home with a sledgehammer. This seems to go beyond ordinary kinds of sexist voyeurism, the kind that sucks the audience into complicity. Instead it becomes more of a "look what I've done here" kind of meta-commentary on sexist depictions. It isn't... titillating. It knits your brow into concern, worried about what it means.

I'm pretty sure what it means and if you think cishet men don't find that stuff titillating you have watched the 3D version without glasses. I'm pretty sure very few men don't even see the problem here. It gets hardly even mentioned.

Nothing wrong with visual masturbation, though.
Taemon

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saw Thor: Ragnarok. Now that was fun! No sleaziness, no kicking women when they're down, dare I say no misogyny whatsoever! Oh, and a lot of jokes and cartoon violence. As far as pretentious entertainment goes, this one was in the top.

Edit: I'm a total mythology nerd so I watch everything Thor. To see Surtur and Hel and Fenrir on the screen, next to my all-time favourite Loki, is mindblowing. Even if they're a little different from the, er, real thing. Ha! Now they have to bring Jormungandr in the next movie!
Sam the Eagle

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a popcorn movie, Thor was fun. But as comic and myth nerd... Not so much. I sooo waited Hel to call Loki 'Daddy!'. And Ragnarock without Jormugrand or no Fimbulwinter?...tough to swallow. No water, I'm fine thanks

I still have the Simonson comics so the way Skurge was treated was a big minus too. Being a coward in Valhalla is quite a contradiction in term.

Okay, done venting stupidly. It was a fun movie, easy to flike. Loki's 'Now, this is how it feels' still makes me giggle.

Otoh, Blade Runner 2049 is not an easy one to love. Just saw it, saw Thor last week. But it made a deeper impression, much like the first movie, it leaves a lot of questions open. The ending didn't help too on that account. But visually it's stunning, much like 'Hero', the chinese early 2000 version. Like that movie, it was not only stunning but purposefully stunning.

A tad, *cough*, long but one I'm looking forward to watch again, dunno director's cut version.
Taemon

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm no comic nerd, so I don't care about that. I had no idea that Surtur would even be in there, it was awesome to see him. Would have been nice to see him and Loki interact.

I don't care that Hel is Odin's daughter in the movie (I do care that Loki is Odin's adopted son, that makes no sense). Just to see them all was great. And when Thor fought Fenrir I went automatically "Fenrir! (Noooo!)" out loud.

I loved Loki's "We're not doing the 'get help'".
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Casual Chat All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 360, 361, 362
Page 362 of 362

Jump to: