Welcome to the Fest
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

December 29, 2017: MMXVII 52

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Sinfest
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Nobody Important



Joined: 18 Jan 2016
Posts: 767

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 7:58 pm    Post subject: December 29, 2017: MMXVII 52 Reply with quote



Okay this is just getting crazy. I didn't think tat was gonna go this far with the anvil dropping.

Edit: Forgot about this strip. Still a bit much though.


Last edited by Nobody Important on Thu Dec 28, 2017 8:52 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
kagalei



Joined: 13 May 2017
Posts: 42
Location: I'm not sure either to tell the truth.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And why would she believe that? You just killed/maimed the other two that said they loved their jobs...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Onimaru



Joined: 16 Apr 2013
Posts: 629

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is another case of Tat using unfortunate reality as a means to deliver a disjointed message, thanks to his narrative going from flighty and silly, to grimdark and serious.

But the truth is this is a sadly VERY realistic depiction of any Prostitute trying to leave the life if she's run by a Street Pimp. They use 3 very simple and effective tactics to keep their girls. Debt, usually the 'fees' for protection and other factors are more than a girl can ever pay off, and usually if she ever gets close, something will come up that she's suddenly responsible for paying off. Addiction, this tends to tie into debt, and more often than not, it isn't a willing choice, most girls will be injected or forced to do drugs to force a dependency that burns up their money and makes escaping the life infinitely harder, and again, since much of it will be given on 'loan' they can say it cost or has an 'interest' amount of whatever they want, trapping the girl ever further, another trap is she's 'responsible' for drugs given to her for 'party' events, and if it goes missing, she's on the hook for it. And lastly, as displayed here, FEAR, IF she's managed to get out of debt, IF she's evaded every filthy trick to get her hooked on something, and IF she's prepared to walk and get a real job, go back to her family, get her life together? They let her know that their only worth to them is as 'one of the girls', they will kill them, they will inform anyone you try to work for what you used to do, hell they'll send bomb threats and anthrax to your fucking friends and family.

Not because that ONE girl is worth all that, but an example that one CAN leave the life can be an inspiring thing to others, so an example of what happens when you TRY can be a powerful display of keeping the others in line.
_________________
I now wield the power of 'Adorbs Thumbs Up Vainglorious!' I will use its power responsibly until such time I hand its power onto a more worthy individual.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
0z79



Joined: 06 May 2013
Posts: 571

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm bored. This is making me want to jump into my old Thor/Summoner so I can snipe myself another eye and a pimp cane.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Nobody Important



Joined: 18 Jan 2016
Posts: 767

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Onimaru wrote:
This is another case of Tat using unfortunate reality as a means to deliver a disjointed message, thanks to his narrative going from flighty and silly, to grimdark and serious.

But the truth is this is a sadly VERY realistic depiction of any Prostitute trying to leave the life if she's run by a Street Pimp. They use 3 very simple and effective tactics to keep their girls. Debt, usually the 'fees' for protection and other factors are more than a girl can ever pay off, and usually if she ever gets close, something will come up that she's suddenly responsible for paying off. Addiction, this tends to tie into debt, and more often than not, it isn't a willing choice, most girls will be injected or forced to do drugs to force a dependency that burns up their money and makes escaping the life infinitely harder, and again, since much of it will be given on 'loan' they can say it cost or has an 'interest' amount of whatever they want, trapping the girl ever further, another trap is she's 'responsible' for drugs given to her for 'party' events, and if it goes missing, she's on the hook for it. And lastly, as displayed here, FEAR, IF she's managed to get out of debt, IF she's evaded every filthy trick to get her hooked on something, and IF she's prepared to walk and get a real job, go back to her family, get her life together? They let her know that their only worth to them is as 'one of the girls', they will kill them, they will inform anyone you try to work for what you used to do, hell they'll send bomb threats and anthrax to your fucking friends and family.

Not because that ONE girl is worth all that, but an example that one CAN leave the life can be an inspiring thing to others, so an example of what happens when you TRY can be a powerful display of keeping the others in line.


Oh, I didn't know that. That's sad but not surprising.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
OlympianSoul



Joined: 25 Nov 2017
Posts: 135

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So are we sure it's not piloted?
_________________
Honestly, when I first found this series, I thought it was about Fuchsia and Criminy.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Samuraiko



Joined: 04 Feb 2015
Posts: 152
Location: Filming on the internet

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Capt. John Sheridan: You know, it's funny, I was thinking about what you said, that the preeminent truth of our age is that you cannot fight the system. But if, as you say, the truth is fluid, that the truth is subjective, then maybe you can fight the system. As long as just one person refuses to be broken, refuses to bow down.

Interrogator: But can you win?

Capt. John Sheridan: Every time I say "no."
_________________
All the world's a stage, and my role is that of a latecomer in the audience. -- Ashleigh Brilliant
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Caimsen



Joined: 12 Jun 2014
Posts: 712
Location: The good old World

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just say yes and run away as soon you have the chance. Or just count that Somebody will take him down now.

Hm, any Chance that the Dragon comes and gets him? Or Clio shuts him down?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Lone_W_Hunt



Joined: 23 Nov 2016
Posts: 43
Location: Reality Zone ... it sux here

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the previous years have taught me anything, I'll bet that Ms. 2017 here is gonna use herself as a magnet of sorts for Death's RPG round, killing herself and blowing up PimpBot in the process. Cuz all of the previous years have gone out with a bang.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger
Miss Magenta



Joined: 09 Jun 2011
Posts: 3708
Location: Resigned From Position

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OlympianSoul wrote:
So are we sure it's not piloted?


its remote controlled. either by milton, or by the pimp originally working the district, its not clear which of the two is in charge of pimptron.
_________________
Character Chart | Terminology Dictionary | Flashback Strips
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
OlympianSoul



Joined: 25 Nov 2017
Posts: 135

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Miss Magenta wrote:
OlympianSoul wrote:
So are we sure it's not piloted?


its remote controlled. either by milton, or by the pimp originally working the district, its not clear which of the two is in charge of pimptron.


Well that makes it way less cool. Should of just been like an Eva, or a gundam.
_________________
Honestly, when I first found this series, I thought it was about Fuchsia and Criminy.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Miss Magenta



Joined: 09 Jun 2011
Posts: 3708
Location: Resigned From Position

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well the pimptron was much smaller when it first appeared in this incarnation so it wouldnt have been ... large enough for someone to pilot

but then tat made it inexplicably larger for ??? ??? reasons??? ???? probably intimidation reasons??? (shrugs)

knowing tat he could easily retcon it so it IS actually being piloted by the pimp (or milton ... again... not very clear who is in charge of that behemoth) and its not like we'd be any the wiser
_________________
Character Chart | Terminology Dictionary | Flashback Strips
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
OlympianSoul



Joined: 25 Nov 2017
Posts: 135

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Miss Magenta wrote:
well the pimptron was much smaller when it first appeared in this incarnation so it wouldnt have been ... large enough for someone to pilot

but then tat made it inexplicably larger for ??? ??? reasons??? ???? probably intimidation reasons??? (shrugs)

knowing tat he could easily retcon it so it IS actually being piloted by the pimp (or milton ... again... not very clear who is in charge of that behemoth) and its not like we'd be any the wiser


Does Ishida retcon a lot?
_________________
Honestly, when I first found this series, I thought it was about Fuchsia and Criminy.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Onimaru



Joined: 16 Apr 2013
Posts: 629

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OlympianSoul wrote:
Miss Magenta wrote:
well the pimptron was much smaller when it first appeared in this incarnation so it wouldnt have been ... large enough for someone to pilot

but then tat made it inexplicably larger for ??? ??? reasons??? ???? probably intimidation reasons??? (shrugs)

knowing tat he could easily retcon it so it IS actually being piloted by the pimp (or milton ... again... not very clear who is in charge of that behemoth) and its not like we'd be any the wiser


Does Ishida retcon a lot?



Don't even get me fucking started.....
_________________
I now wield the power of 'Adorbs Thumbs Up Vainglorious!' I will use its power responsibly until such time I hand its power onto a more worthy individual.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Absynthe



Joined: 07 Dec 2006
Posts: 702

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OlympianSoul wrote:
Miss Magenta wrote:
well the pimptron was much smaller when it first appeared in this incarnation so it wouldnt have been ... large enough for someone to pilot

but then tat made it inexplicably larger for ??? ??? reasons??? ???? probably intimidation reasons??? (shrugs)

knowing tat he could easily retcon it so it IS actually being piloted by the pimp (or milton ... again... not very clear who is in charge of that behemoth) and its not like we'd be any the wiser


Does Ishida retcon a lot?


He does.

It's a semi-serial webcomic, and an evolving viewpoint on the part of the author informs the ongoing topicality, content, and structure.

Some people can't internalize this, and believe that any change to the 'canon' is some horrifying abomination of the scripture of Sinfest, or something. Much gnashing of teeth and clutching of pearls ensues, at any rate.

Mostly, Ishida's canon appears to be in the heads of the readers, and there's a shit-ton of projection on the part of many of the people who try to interpret the message behind the work and define the meaning of a strip or arc.

Lots of analysis of the author's positions and beliefs too.

There's a few people here who seem to think the comic is a direct transcription of Ishida's therapy sessions rather than a work of fiction which may explore themes that aren't 100% aligned with the author's personal viewpoint.

The past neither shapes nor necessarily informs the future of Sinfest. The association between todays strip and yesterdays strip is usually about 99%, as you regress in days, that associative value diminishes. Sometimes he'll pull a reference from two years ago and make it relevant again, sometimes he'll seem to contradict himself inside of a few months.

There's always something amusing here, if not the comic, then the commentary.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Sinfest All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group