Welcome to the Fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

December 29, 2017: MMXVII 52

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nobody Important

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 7:58 pm    Post subject: December 29, 2017: MMXVII 52 Reply with quote

Okay this is just getting crazy. I didn't think tat was gonna go this far with the anvil dropping.

Edit: Forgot about this strip. Still a bit much though.

Last edited by Nobody Important on Thu Dec 28, 2017 8:52 pm; edited 2 times in total
kagalei

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And why would she believe that? You just killed/maimed the other two that said they loved their jobs...
Onimaru

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is another case of Tat using unfortunate reality as a means to deliver a disjointed message, thanks to his narrative going from flighty and silly, to grimdark and serious.

But the truth is this is a sadly VERY realistic depiction of any Prostitute trying to leave the life if she's run by a Street Pimp. They use 3 very simple and effective tactics to keep their girls. Debt, usually the 'fees' for protection and other factors are more than a girl can ever pay off, and usually if she ever gets close, something will come up that she's suddenly responsible for paying off. Addiction, this tends to tie into debt, and more often than not, it isn't a willing choice, most girls will be injected or forced to do drugs to force a dependency that burns up their money and makes escaping the life infinitely harder, and again, since much of it will be given on 'loan' they can say it cost or has an 'interest' amount of whatever they want, trapping the girl ever further, another trap is she's 'responsible' for drugs given to her for 'party' events, and if it goes missing, she's on the hook for it. And lastly, as displayed here, FEAR, IF she's managed to get out of debt, IF she's evaded every filthy trick to get her hooked on something, and IF she's prepared to walk and get a real job, go back to her family, get her life together? They let her know that their only worth to them is as 'one of the girls', they will kill them, they will inform anyone you try to work for what you used to do, hell they'll send bomb threats and anthrax to your fucking friends and family.

Not because that ONE girl is worth all that, but an example that one CAN leave the life can be an inspiring thing to others, so an example of what happens when you TRY can be a powerful display of keeping the others in line.
0z79

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm bored. This is making me want to jump into my old Thor/Summoner so I can snipe myself another eye and a pimp cane.
Nobody Important

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Onimaru wrote:
This is another case of Tat using unfortunate reality as a means to deliver a disjointed message, thanks to his narrative going from flighty and silly, to grimdark and serious.

But the truth is this is a sadly VERY realistic depiction of any Prostitute trying to leave the life if she's run by a Street Pimp. They use 3 very simple and effective tactics to keep their girls. Debt, usually the 'fees' for protection and other factors are more than a girl can ever pay off, and usually if she ever gets close, something will come up that she's suddenly responsible for paying off. Addiction, this tends to tie into debt, and more often than not, it isn't a willing choice, most girls will be injected or forced to do drugs to force a dependency that burns up their money and makes escaping the life infinitely harder, and again, since much of it will be given on 'loan' they can say it cost or has an 'interest' amount of whatever they want, trapping the girl ever further, another trap is she's 'responsible' for drugs given to her for 'party' events, and if it goes missing, she's on the hook for it. And lastly, as displayed here, FEAR, IF she's managed to get out of debt, IF she's evaded every filthy trick to get her hooked on something, and IF she's prepared to walk and get a real job, go back to her family, get her life together? They let her know that their only worth to them is as 'one of the girls', they will kill them, they will inform anyone you try to work for what you used to do, hell they'll send bomb threats and anthrax to your fucking friends and family.

Not because that ONE girl is worth all that, but an example that one CAN leave the life can be an inspiring thing to others, so an example of what happens when you TRY can be a powerful display of keeping the others in line.

Oh, I didn't know that. That's sad but not surprising.
OlympianSoul

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So are we sure it's not piloted?
Samuraiko

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Capt. John Sheridan: You know, it's funny, I was thinking about what you said, that the preeminent truth of our age is that you cannot fight the system. But if, as you say, the truth is fluid, that the truth is subjective, then maybe you can fight the system. As long as just one person refuses to be broken, refuses to bow down.

Interrogator: But can you win?

Capt. John Sheridan: Every time I say "no."
Caimsen

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just say yes and run away as soon you have the chance. Or just count that Somebody will take him down now.

Hm, any Chance that the Dragon comes and gets him? Or Clio shuts him down?
Lone_W_Hunt

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the previous years have taught me anything, I'll bet that Ms. 2017 here is gonna use herself as a magnet of sorts for Death's RPG round, killing herself and blowing up PimpBot in the process. Cuz all of the previous years have gone out with a bang.
Miss Magenta

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OlympianSoul wrote:

its remote controlled. either by milton, or by the pimp originally working the district, its not clear which of the two is in charge of pimptron.
OlympianSoul

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Miss Magenta wrote:
OlympianSoul wrote:

its remote controlled. either by milton, or by the pimp originally working the district, its not clear which of the two is in charge of pimptron.

Well that makes it way less cool. Should of just been like an Eva, or a gundam.
Miss Magenta

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well the pimptron was much smaller when it first appeared in this incarnation so it wouldnt have been ... large enough for someone to pilot

but then tat made it inexplicably larger for ??? ??? reasons??? ???? probably intimidation reasons??? (shrugs)

knowing tat he could easily retcon it so it IS actually being piloted by the pimp (or milton ... again... not very clear who is in charge of that behemoth) and its not like we'd be any the wiser
OlympianSoul

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Miss Magenta wrote:
well the pimptron was much smaller when it first appeared in this incarnation so it wouldnt have been ... large enough for someone to pilot

but then tat made it inexplicably larger for ??? ??? reasons??? ???? probably intimidation reasons??? (shrugs)

knowing tat he could easily retcon it so it IS actually being piloted by the pimp (or milton ... again... not very clear who is in charge of that behemoth) and its not like we'd be any the wiser

Does Ishida retcon a lot?
Onimaru

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OlympianSoul wrote:
Miss Magenta wrote:

Don't even get me fucking started.....
Absynthe

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OlympianSoul wrote:
Miss Magenta wrote:

He does.

It's a semi-serial webcomic, and an evolving viewpoint on the part of the author informs the ongoing topicality, content, and structure.

Some people can't internalize this, and believe that any change to the 'canon' is some horrifying abomination of the scripture of Sinfest, or something. Much gnashing of teeth and clutching of pearls ensues, at any rate.

Mostly, Ishida's canon appears to be in the heads of the readers, and there's a shit-ton of projection on the part of many of the people who try to interpret the message behind the work and define the meaning of a strip or arc.

Lots of analysis of the author's positions and beliefs too.

There's a few people here who seem to think the comic is a direct transcription of Ishida's therapy sessions rather than a work of fiction which may explore themes that aren't 100% aligned with the author's personal viewpoint.

The past neither shapes nor necessarily informs the future of Sinfest. The association between todays strip and yesterdays strip is usually about 99%, as you regress in days, that associative value diminishes. Sometimes he'll pull a reference from two years ago and make it relevant again, sometimes he'll seem to contradict himself inside of a few months.

There's always something amusing here, if not the comic, then the commentary.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Sinfest All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: