Welcome to the Fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

January 2, 2018: MMXVII 56

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr. Meddler

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 8:05 pm    Post subject: January 2, 2018: MMXVII 56 Reply with quote

She got her wish?

Click here to see my artwork!
Click here to check out my Tweets!
Sir Craigius

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What? So the job of being the year can be passed onto a person?

And does this mean she's now doomed to die at the end of 2018? I doubt she wanted a new job with a death warrant attached to it.
Strix Varia

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 5:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would be nice if she were to get the job of being the new year babies care-giver/mentor/inspiration.
Irinei

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's more of a "Request granted, signed MMXVII"

Also, maybe a reminder that someone gave their life so she could be free, so don't waste it.
Onimaru

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Free HOW exactly? I mean I get that destroying Pimpbot is significant in that the IMMEDIATE threat is gone, but she has NO New Job, she's still 'branded' and since a machine was what had the code to trigger the shock, one would imagine the replacement will have the same.

Now admittedly, the electro Magic Hand Fembot, or the Sisterhood can probably remove the Bar Code, or chip under it, so I know that's not really going to be a Big deal.

But what about all the other VERY REAL hindrances and obstacles she'll face? Bias against her in finding employment due to her history? A lack of an actual education, again she ran away at 13 so she most likely doesn't even have more than a Grade 6-8 education. The very basic needs for survival, food, a place to live and such, so she'll need money and as we've seen she doesn't exactly have a nest egg to get by on to till she finds work.

And again, this can/most likely will be handwaved and she'll work for Nana, or Kate because Tat's not going to let her wind up homeless or CHOOSE to go back to the BOMF district to Survive.

But up until now he's done his best to portray Roxanne with 'fairly' realistic troubles that real life prostitutes face when trying to leave the life behind. And to have that suddenly discarded to having her future as the prize in some Royal Rumble with a Giant Robot is kind of insulting. Having someone break her out of a Glass Box and openly declare she 'Doesn't like the Job!' isn't some magic spell that makes the 'Why don't you just LEAVE!' suggestion to someone in that life any less ignorantly insulting.

But still, let's see how it develops Razz
OlympianSoul

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Onimaru wrote:
Free HOW exactly? I mean I get that destroying Pimpbot is significant in that the IMMEDIATE threat is gone, but she has NO New Job, she's still 'branded' and since a machine was what had the code to trigger the shock, one would imagine the replacement will have the same.

Now admittedly, the electro Magic Hand Fembot, or the Sisterhood can probably remove the Bar Code, or chip under it, so I know that's not really going to be a Big deal.

But what about all the other VERY REAL hindrances and obstacles she'll face? Bias against her in finding employment due to her history? A lack of an actual education, again she ran away at 13 so she most likely doesn't even have more than a Grade 6-8 education. The very basic needs for survival, food, a place to live and such, so she'll need money and as we've seen she doesn't exactly have a nest egg to get by on to till she finds work.

And again, this can/most likely will be handwaved and she'll work for Nana, or Kate because Tat's not going to let her wind up homeless or CHOOSE to go back to the BOMF district to Survive.

But up until now he's done his best to portray Roxanne with 'fairly' realistic troubles that real life prostitutes face when trying to leave the life behind. And to have that suddenly discarded to having her future as the prize in some Royal Rumble with a Giant Robot is kind of insulting. Having someone break her out of a Glass Box and openly declare she 'Doesn't like the Job!' isn't some magic spell that makes the 'Why don't you just LEAVE!' suggestion to someone in that life any less ignorantly insulting.

...Criminy might need an assistant for whatever it is he does to make money.
Caimsen

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OlympianSoul wrote:
Onimaru wrote:

We never saw him at any Job until now. At least i cant remember. He is allways there and reading Books. Maybe he is rich.
But maybe Xantes Grandma needs one?
OlympianSoul

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Caimsen wrote:
OlympianSoul wrote:
Onimaru wrote:

We never saw him at any Job until now. At least i cant remember. He is allways there and reading Books. Maybe he is rich.
But maybe Xantes Grandma needs one?

Yeah, to be honest that was just the first thing that popped into my head. My head cannons is that Crim's either a full time DJ, or he's a collage student who gets financial aid.

Kinda wondering what jobs Roxane is going to attempt.
Homeslice

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's always retail.
Irinei

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Onimaru wrote:
Free HOW exactly?

She had two major obstacles.

One was mental. She decided she wanted out of that life and started reaching out. That's the first and most important. There is a world of difference between "I can't get out" or "I want out someday, but I can't yet" and "I want out".

The other was physical/social. A "jailor". In real life, this would be a mix of pimp, drugs, acquaintances, and so on that keep her in that life through intimidation, demoralization, and/or dependency. In the comic, this was all represented by a giant robot. I'm sure using the robot was a lot easier than the year long arc required to show the rest.

Now she has overcome them both. She has decided to leave and her "jailor" is gone. She is free. Free does not mean easy. No-one said the way forward is going to be easy. She'll have the difficulties you mentioned, but as long as those two major obstacles are out of the way, she at least has the opportunity to start moving forward. That's much more than she had before.

I grew up in poor inner-city areas. I've had good friends hooked on drugs, homeless, involved in prostitution. I've been homeless myself before. Some of them have escaped that life, and others have not. Don't underestimate those two obstacles. They are the hardest to get past, but once you do, all other obstacles are minuscule in comparison.

So, I'll say it again. She is free. As for the difficulties ahead: What are they to someone who has been where she has?
CopperRose

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Irinei wrote:
Onimaru wrote:
Free HOW exactly?

She had two major obstacles.

One was mental. She decided she wanted out of that life and started reaching out. That's the first and most important. There is a world of difference between "I can't get out" or "I want out someday, but I can't yet" and "I want out".

The other was physical/social. A "jailor". In real life, this would be a mix of pimp, drugs, acquaintances, and so on that keep her in that life through intimidation, demoralization, and/or dependency. In the comic, this was all represented by a giant robot. I'm sure using the robot was a lot easier than the year long arc required to show the rest.

Now she has overcome them both. She has decided to leave and her "jailor" is gone. She is free. Free does not mean easy. No-one said the way forward is going to be easy. She'll have the difficulties you mentioned, but as long as those two major obstacles are out of the way, she at least has the opportunity to start moving forward. That's much more than she had before.

I grew up in poor inner-city areas. I've had good friends hooked on drugs, homeless, involved in prostitution. I've been homeless myself before. Some of them have escaped that life, and others have not. Don't underestimate those two obstacles. They are the hardest to get past, but once you do, all other obstacles are minuscule in comparison.

So, I'll say it again. She is free. As for the difficulties ahead: What are they to someone who has been where she has?

I agree with this.

No one is saying finding a new job will be easy for her being a dropout runaway and all (I even mention this in a past thread and got jumped on). But, the big steps were mustering the courage to work on an escape and get around Pimp Bot. Even when she was off the clock, he was looming over her reminding her that she "love her job" (remember when she was talking to Story Time?).

He was preventing her from finding better opportunities with threats of bodily harm and mental abuse. Now that he is gone and no longer a threat, she's FREE and has a CHANCE to find employment that exclude the following on her list.

Also Happy New Year, everyone.
HKVeteran

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suddenly, I want her to be a new Devil Girl along side Abby and Blue
Chronometry

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HKVeteran wrote:

Being subservient to the kingpin of the Patriarchy? Isn't that exactly the kind of thing she wants to avoid?

This poster is a white cismale heterosexual. Feel free to ignore him if he starts speaking nonsense.
Drooling Fan Grrl

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CopperRose, The important moment, imho, was when she said, "I don't like this job" to the pimpbot. She said no. I like how it's her story here.

http://www.sinfest.net/view.php?date=2017-12-21
HKVeteran

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chronometry wrote:
HKVeteran wrote:

Being subservient to the kingpin of the Patriarchy? Isn't that exactly the kind of thing she wants to avoid?

She didn't say that, she just asked for a job without pleasuring strange men, without STD's, and without pregnancy. She could be Blue's new assistant, Abby can be flakey sometimes.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Sinfest All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: