Welcome to the Fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The post-postwhoring thead of DOOOOOOOOOMMMMMM!!!!!!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 267, 268, 269, 270  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chronometry

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

See, this is why I make a point of getting around on my bike whenever possible. Don't need to exercise if your commute is exercise. *points at head*

This poster is a white cismale heterosexual. Feel free to ignore him if he starts speaking nonsense.
mouse

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

learning to ride a bike is also on my list of things to do when i retire (the cats probably won't care about that one).
reasonablymad

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Victim Here wrote:
In the sea of years that drifted us apart, I'm glad you're as much a rock of yourself as ever rm.

just for you I fill the sea of years that drifted us apart with rocks until the waves break on rocky islands and islands become continents that we can ride our bikes across in our retirement.

mouse wrote:
thinking about getting a dog when i retire although i may also have to wait until the cats die....

because we set limits on the number of pets we are allowed, we often find ourselves waiting for a pet to die so that we can get a new one. I, however, am opposed to the cats dying.
mouse

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i am also opposed to the cats dying. however, the cats - well, one of them, at least - are pretty opposed to dogs. one has actually made friends with some neighboring dogs, and she might be OK with a mid-sized dog (she is leery of the big ones, and seems to think the chihuahua-sized ones are just a joke).

other cat, though....he seems to feel dogs are an entirely unnecessary part of the universe and wants nothing to do with them (he clearly thinks first cat is crazy for socializing with them). i'm afraid he'd be pretty traumatized if i brought a dog into the house. he's high-strung and a bit insecure as it is, and i love him too much to stress him out more unnecessarily.

so just have to wait and see how we all weather the years, really.
Sam the Eagle

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mouse wrote:
yay for the weight loss! and you seem to be making the most important lifestyle changes: reducing sugar and fast food.

there is a peanut butter powder you can get - a lot of Weight Watchers members like it, i guess it has a lot less fat - can't say anything about it myself because i'm allergic to peanuts, but i pass on the info in case it helps.

i've got to figure out how to get more exercise in my life. i keep reading articles about how people who exercise are much less prone to the ills of aging...but then they keep coming down to interval training as the most effective exercise, and that....just doesn't appeal.

thinking about getting a dog when i retire although i may also have to wait until the cats die....

Learn to ride a byke before any learnnig mishaps have lingering consequences, like sprained ankles. I ride to work and back day in day out, effects are notable heart likes.

If that not possible, try walking (dog is good for that)
WheelsOfConfusion

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A well-sized, active dog is good for walking. Ask my 8-year-old boxer, going grey all over but still frisky after a 2-hour stroll at the park just now. He's basically my personal trainer.
mouse

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, i walk on saturdays with a friend and her lab mix, who sets us a vigorous pace (even over rough ground). would love to have a dog but besides the issues with the cats, it really wouldn't be fair to the dog while i'm working. i don't have a yard, so dog would need to be shut up for 9+ hrs/day, so unless i can find one that knows how to use a litterbox...
WheelsOfConfusion

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I want to write a malicious app and submit it to the Apple and Android stores.

But instead of stealing data or mining fake coins, it waits until you're riding in an elevator. Then it randomly blurts out "Pooping imminent. Pooping imminent. WARNING! WARNING! WE HAVE A BREACH!"
Taemon

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Watch a burning T-rex!
The Victim Here

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's definitely some level of hell that that thing chases you on, while crying in your mother's voice.
WheelsOfConfusion

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saw a big ol' Eastern garter snake nosing around the foundation. Fortunately it was kind enough to hold a pose while I went inside to grab my phone for some snekpics.

This is one of the largest garters I've seen in the wild. It was definitely a fat old snek, engirthened from a long and productive life.
Taemon

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Niiice. Thanks!
WheelsOfConfusion

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WheelsOfConfusion wrote:
WheelsOfConfusion wrote:
More to come?

Cutting out fast food for lunch and sweet tea has resulted in me dropping 8 pounds/3.6 kilos/0.6 stone since late February! The replacement meal of Soylent and unsweetened caffeine brew seems to be doing to the trick to keep me going so far.

I would not say Soylent is a joy to consume, and I can't see myself ever going all-Soylent (like some people have tried), or doing this longer-term. But as a crutch to get me through some weight loss for a while, I'll definitely put up with it. Hopefully this isn't a case of "the first ten pounds are easy, anything else requires IMMEDIATE MAJOR LIFESTYLE CHANGES FOREVER." But at least I'm out of the danger zone when it comes to the company weight limit.

2-month Downdate: Self weigh-in today was 13.2lbs less than the initial, company weigh-in. Still haven't made any changes besides the Soylent lunch and lack of sweet tea.

In terms of exercise, well, I'm trying to log at least 10,000 steps on work days and 20,000 when I'm off. Schedules are changing back to 4 10-hour days per week so that gives me 3 days off, and a better chance to be on my feet for 10k steps while on the clock.
WheelsOfConfusion

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only decent pic I snapped of a Carolina anole on the porch railing this afternoon.

The ash-colored stripe on the back means it's most likely a female.

They are skittish and don't like being approached by lumbering photo-giants. This was the last pic in a series that started with me walking down from the gate and catching it on the top railing, getting a few pics of it scurrying around to the back end of the post, peeking over the top, and then crawling down to the bottom level (above).

Last week I also saw another specimen on the porch of a customer's premises, but it was too quick and hopped away from post to post before I could get any decent shots. They've always reminded me of little velociraptors with their pointed snouts, stiff tails, and leaping habits.

For some reason I'm far more likely to see them perched on railings than anywhere else. Maybe it's just because they tend to stand out more on bare/painted wood than natural surfaces? Anyway, these things are everywhere around here; they're like the second most common lizard sighting for me. The first most common being, of course, the bright blue tail of a juvenile five-lined skink. They are, unfortunately, even more skittish than anoles and ten thousand times faster so I don't have any pics of one.

I actually kept a store-bought anole as a pet for a while when I was a wee WoC, but they're surprisingly delicate and I wasn't able to keep it for long. Back then I didn't realize they were abundant native fauna and it seemed like some kind of exotic micro-iguana. I mean, they are micro-iguanas but they're the furthest thing from exotic.
WheelsOfConfusion

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bonus Herp!

Clicking embiggens

Pretty sure it's an American toad, though we have quite a few around here that look very similar, and the diagnostic identifying features aren't easy to make out from crappy cell phone pics.

I'm making that assessment based on the known range of the American toad versus the Southern toad (which shouldn't quite reach up into my neck of the woods), the lack of a Southern toad's pronounced crests, and the spacing of a Fowler's toad's post-orbital ridges and parotid glands (a.k.a. the big pouches where the toad makes its toxic chemical skin goo).

But to be honest it's kind of a hard call between Fowler's and American as far as I can tell.

Spotted between posting the lizard pics and leaving the house for dinner.

I actually did kind of seek out both this toad and the anole earlier. Ever since I was single-digit years old the patch of un-turfed dirt near the heat pumps has been prime toad-spotting territory, and over the last few years I've learned to keep an eye out for lizards on the porch railings because they like to sun themselves there. It's usually a good idea to keep track of where you spot herps, and remember to check on those places again over time.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Casual Chat All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 267, 268, 269, 270  Next
Page 268 of 270

Jump to: