Welcome to the Fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

the reign of president trump covfefe
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 132, 133, 134 ... 140, 141, 142  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sam the Eagle

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And here I was told Sockholm was pretty in December

Not that it was a surprise, we had a betting pool running (lost btw) on it. Still, shying away from a novel prize worth summit may not look so good on coming elections.
mouse

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nono, he _had_ to back out because n. korea was saying Mean Things. and he left the door open and said he'd love to meet kim and all. so he can say it was all kim's fault and he's still trying to be nice, and north korea will say it's all donald's fault because he wimped out, and both sides will be happy.

and i'm sure he'll come up with another reason he deserves to with the nobel prize....i'm sure bolton will have a great explanation about how nuking iran was really the only way to achieve peace in the middle east.
WheelsOfConfusion

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just in case you thought the Administration's given exucses, like "they didn't show up at the logistics meeting," are credible? NPR's bureau chief in Seoul says that's been par for the course with NK for years.
https://www.npr.org/2018/05/24/614195907/how-south-korea-is-reacting-to-the-cancellation-of-u-s-north-korea-summit
Elise Hu wrote:
On the logistics meeting where North Korea didn't show up, we have to keep in mind the context, which is that North Korea often makes 11th-hour decisions after not showing up or total silence or no explanation of its behavior. It's pretty par for the course for North Korea negotiating behavior or pre-negotiation behavior - this week, as an example, where not only did North Korea not show up to a planning meeting; it also wasn't allowing South Korean journalists into its big nuclear site dismantlement, did not grant visas, no explanation until the morning of. The morning of the trip to Punggye-ri to actually see this dismantlement, it suddenly allowed South Korean journalists to fly in by a government plane.

The Olympics is another example of this. North Korea will often sort of test the leniency of its negotiating partner. So last - all last year, Moon Jae-in was trying to make efforts to get North Korea to participate in the Olympics. North Korea just never responded. It went months without responding until the last-minute, if you will, change of course where it agreed to participate and took part in the unified team that we saw at the Olympics in February. So, you know, this is not a huge surprise. What is a little bit more surprising is that U.S. negotiators are citing it as a reason for pulling out because, you know, those with background and history with North Korea wouldn't have been surprised by this behavior.
Sam the Eagle

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wasn't there some noise a few month ago on huge budget cuts or high end personnel leaving the State Department?

This would explain that, one doesn't make a deal with North Korea the same way one tries to close a used car sale deal.
Zilla

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back when I had the stomach for keeping up with political news, I used to get my fix from What The Fuck Just Happened Today. It's been a pretty good place for keeping tabs on all the narratives going on in a condensed format, with links to sources.
Sam the Eagle

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zilla wrote:
Back when I had the stomach for keeping up with political news, I used to get my fix from What The Fuck Just Happened Today. It's been a pretty good place for keeping tabs on all the narratives going on in a condensed format, with links to sources.

Thanks for the link, handy.

I never go for national news when reading a political analysis, it's way too hard to avoid a political bia and barring some cases, news in english are easy to come by. That's why I quote mostly the Guardian for US news, even when #tehDonald does something utterly baffling, which is every other hour.
mouse

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sam the Eagle wrote:
Wasn't there some noise a few month ago on huge budget cuts or high end personnel leaving the State Department?

This would explain that, one doesn't make a deal with North Korea the same way one tries to close a used car sale deal.

tillerson did substantial gutting of the state department, leading to the departure of a truly frightening percentage of experienced diplomats, on top of the trump administration simply failing to fill a lot of posts. we have, for example, an unprecedented number of ambassadorial posts unfilled...including ambassador to south korea.

but of course trump wasn't trying to close this like a used car sale! he was planning to close it like a real estate deal....and if you make a closer examination of his history with those, you won't be particularly surprised that this one crashed. (don't have time to look up the references, but he's really not all that great a deal-maker.)
WheelsOfConfusion

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mouse wrote:
Sam the Eagle wrote:

tillerson did substantial gutting of the state department, leading to the departure of a truly frightening percentage of experienced diplomats, on top of the trump administration simply failing to fill a lot of posts. we have, for example, an unprecedented number of ambassadorial posts unfilled...including ambassador to south korea.

He just got around to nominating someone the day before yesterday.

He's much quicker to lie than to nominate people. As of May 1st, Trump told just over 3,000 lies in office. Recently he's been averaging 9 per day.
Quote:
In the 466 days since he took the oath of office, President Trump has made 3,001 false or misleading claims, according to The Fact Checker’s database that analyzes, categorizes and tracks every suspect statement uttered by the president.

That’s an average of nearly 6.5 claims a day.

When we first started this project for the president’s first 100 days, he averaged 4.9 claims a day. Slowly, the average number of claims has been creeping up.

Indeed, since we last updated this tally two months ago, the president has averaged about 9 claims a day.

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Canada, Mexico, and the EU are all gearing up for counter-tariffs.

Trump seems hellbent on waging war against American exports.
mouse

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trump is pretty much hellbent on waging war with the US* just in general.

*does not include trump offspring, worshipers, or the few americans trump himself worships.
WheelsOfConfusion

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who can keep up?
Incoming link dump to cover some of the developments these past few days because fuck trying to summarize it all.

In the news of the Russia Thingy:

Mueller Accuses Paul Manafort of Attempted Witness Tampering

Rudy Giuliani Says President Trump Couldn’t Even Be Indicted for Murder

Trump: I Have 'Absolute' Power To Pardon Myself, But Have Done Nothing Wrong
These latter two are the most concerning, not because I think the arguments are plausible but because I'm not the target audience and this is clearly a PR blitz to prime Republicans against impeachment or any Mueller developments.
As the GOP itself, which was raving and frothing at the mouth about presidential overreach the second Obama was sworn in, remain oddly silent about all of this, Republicans in general currently Trump more than they did Reagan. That's horrifying. Some of this may be skewed as fewer people actually identify themselves "Republican" in favor of "Independent," but it's not enough to explain the overwhelming support this ambulatory sack of petty human faults enjoys.

In the news of Trump's War On Un-Patriotic Un-American Mostly-Black People:
Trump Praises NFL Decision, Questions If Protesting Players Should Be In The Country
This one is actually fucking scary. De-legitimizing the citizenship of people who disagree with the president is not something to be taken lightly, especially given the racial component inherent in this mess.

President Trump Rescinds Invitation To Super Bowl Champion Philadelphia Eagles

In the news of the "but why tho?"
EPA Chief's Latest Ethics Issue: Used Mattress From A Trump Hotel
WheelsOfConfusion

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jesus Christ it never ends with this guy!

Scott Pruitt enlisted an EPA aide to help his wife find a job — with Chick-fil-A

Quote:
Three months after Scott Pruitt was sworn in as head of the Environmental Protection Agency, his executive scheduler emailed Dan Cathy, chairman and president of the fast food company Chick-fil-A, with an unusual request: Would Cathy meet with Pruitt to discuss “a potential business opportunity”?

A call was arranged, then canceled, and Pruitt eventually spoke with someone from the company’s legal department. Only then did he reveal the “opportunity” on his mind was a job for his wife, Marlyn.

“The subject of that phone call was an expression of interest in his wife becoming a Chick-fil-A franchisee,” company representative Carrie Kurlander told The Washington Post via email.

I don't even!
Taemon

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fake news! Breitbart doesn't say a word about that, so it obviously isn't true! Arglbargl.
Zilla

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holy shit. This stuff is nightmarish. The propaganda is thick and heavy now, and there are people believing it. The fact that nothing is being done and people are pretending any of this is normal is maddening. Everything is exploding in slow motion. Something must be done.

I'm sorry I'm not really saying anything consequential, I'm just overcome with emotion about the state of the US. People are going to die. People are already dying.
WheelsOfConfusion

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I have some bad news.

Judge orders EPA to disclose any science backing up Pruitt’s climate claims

Pruitt's been told by a court that his agency has to turn over all documents upon which his amazing and revolutionary claims ("CO2 isn't causing most of the warming!") were based.

That's horrible. Those poor EPA staffers will now have to take time out from his apartment hunting and various other personal errands to comply with this request! How is anything supposed to get done?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 132, 133, 134 ... 140, 141, 142  Next
Page 133 of 142

Jump to: