Welcome to the Fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

June 10, 2018: Repair 8

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chronometry

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 11:41 pm    Post subject: June 10, 2018: Repair 8 Reply with quote

Y'know, this should probably have been your first clue that this guy isn't entirely on the up and up.

ALSO

Hello miss sword-swallower lady I'd like to know more about your life story.

(Her name is Leanne, she's got a degree in Social Psychology from an online course she took while travelling with the circus, and her most impressive trick involves 3 bayonets and a shamshir.)

This poster is a white cismale heterosexual. Feel free to ignore him if he starts speaking nonsense.
Kurt91

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What, that the guy likes the haunted house attraction? Where I live, the local theme park does a total makeover for Halloween, even temporarily re-naming the park from "Silverwood" to "Scarywood". Yeah, when they have to do budget cuts, parts can get kind of lame, but there are some attractions that they try to prioritize budget for so they're fun every year. Doesn't mean that everybody who goes there is a horrible person.

(Yeah, I get the symbolism that Tat's going for, but taken at face value, all we really get is that he likes the House of Horrors. Big deal.)

EDIT: Also, if that sword-swallowing lady wants to do something REALLY impressive, let's see a zanbato. (Yes, I actually did look it up to find the name. I haven't seen Rurouni Kenshin in forever.)
Samuraiko

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Welcome back, my friends, to the show that never ends
We're so glad you could attend, come inside, come inside..."
Chronometry

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kurt91 wrote:
EDIT: Also, if that sword-swallowing lady wants to do something REALLY impressive, let's see a zanbato. (Yes, I actually did look it up to find the name. I haven't seen Rurouni Kenshin in forever.)

Fun fact: The zanbato as depicted in Rurouni Kenshin is actually closer to an eku in design.

Not that swallowing either would be unimpressive, but it's nothing compared to the Tri-Bayonet-Shamshir-Festival.

This poster is a white cismale heterosexual. Feel free to ignore him if he starts speaking nonsense.
Taemon

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leanne was born into the circus; her parents are respectively acrobate and lion-tamer. She loves this life but doesn't want the same for any future children, hence the psychology. She's currently considering her next move. I mean with regard to psychology. Well, maybe with regard to swords too, I mean, I don't know her that well. Yet.
Irinei

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

House of HORorrS. Very subtle.
Kurt91

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chronometry wrote:

Fun fact: The zanbato as depicted in Rurouni Kenshin is actually closer to an eku in design.

Not that swallowing either would be unimpressive, but it's nothing compared to the Tri-Bayonet-Shamshir-Festival.

Clicked the link to see what an Eku was. Reminds me, I've got to get around to playing Chrono Cross one of these days. I wonder how well my 3DS can emulate it.
Argus

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kurt91 wrote:
(Yeah, I get the symbolism that Tat's going for, but taken at face value, all we really get is that he likes the House of Horrors. Big deal.)

This strip is, like, 99% Symbolism, dood. Smile

Also, WHOA, that is some really cool symbolism there! And art, the art is nice, too.
Mr Zero

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I _hope_ this strip is symbolism, because one panel ago they were walking into the red light district. The idea of a fun small-town carnival (several blocks in size) being located in the Bompf District, and then being a happy young entertainment (is this a date?) place is sorta... weird.
"Let's go to a happy fun place!"
"No, let's take this into the creepy haunted house."
Perhaps it's meant to explain that all boyfriends are (long string of negative descriptions of men).
I _hope_ this strip is symbolism, because all readers have to take things at face value. Without knowing, due to cues, what parts are a fantasy sequence or metaphor or just gotten it wrong, they could be very confused as to the sudden carnival.
Especially swift readers, casual readers and people who arn't deeply into the story and versed in every aspect and facet.
Argus

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And now I'm reeeally tempted to link to a very NSFW page from the webcomic Oglaf just for the image of Taking Things Literally...

C'mon, if House of Horrors isn't enough, the "Tunnel of Love" before it just paints "METAPHOR" in big, glowing letters.
Mr Zero

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought the tunnel of love was presented as a "hey, this is what the girl thinks would be a fun thing to do." vs the haunted house, which is "hey, this is what the guy thinks would be a fun thing to do."
Too late, he's in the house, we're doing this.
Which will predictably turn into scary reality stuff with the guy turning into the pimp, and the house turning into a crack house or something.
Assuming we don't get another half-dozen bunch of strips following the flying robot man.
Argus

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, here's my take on it:
The circus is all a metaphor, and these strips are not about the Pimp being a nice guy who eventually becomes, well, a pimp. He was never a nice guy, unlike, for example, Milton.
When he meets Codename "Roxanne", she sees him as a nice guy helping her, and thinks it may be a beginning of a love story (thus the "Tunnel of Love"). But the thing is, he is already a pimp, and he is not even interested in her aside from using her to make money. He's just manipulating her into prostitution right from the start, and it's a slow process - it's not like he just tells her: "Hey, here's an idea - how about you become a prostitute and make moneyz?"
So I don't think it's like: "Love?" - "Naah, Horror!" It's more like she didn't even realize it was Horror until she was deeply in it and it was already too late to just walk away.
Caimsen

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Argus wrote:
Well, here's my take on it:
The circus is all a metaphor, and these strips are not about the Pimp being a nice guy who eventually becomes, well, a pimp. He was never a nice guy, unlike, for example, Milton.
When he meets Codename "Roxanne", she sees him as a nice guy helping her, and thinks it may be a beginning of a love story (thus the "Tunnel of Love"). But the thing is, he is already a pimp, and he is not even interested in her aside from using her to make money. He's just manipulating her into prostitution right from the start, and it's a slow process - it's not like he just tells her: "Hey, here's an idea - how about you become a prostitute and make moneyz?"
So I don't think it's like: "Love?" - "Naah, Horror!" It's more like she didn't even realize it was Horror until she was deeply in it and it was already too late to just walk away.

Milton a nice Guy? Well, he build Toys for Kids, so he could have been one at the start and got obsessed later. Its no real wonder. Allways at work, everybody hates your "Babys", exept for the Fembots, never a nice work about doing a good Job and no healthy contact with a Woman. I mean, it would be a wonder if he had no mental health issues or ticks. Still no excuse for his behaviour.

Hm, the comic reminds me about the Song from Pink: It used to be a Fun House. But now it's filled with evil Clowns.
At least she is now out of that House. Still not complettly save, but out of the dangerzone.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Sinfest All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: