Welcome to the Fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

June 14, 2018: Repair 12

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Argus

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 5:55 am    Post subject: June 14, 2018: Repair 12 Reply with quote

I kinda wanna facepalm a bit.
I would be less inclined to do that if Theo didn't say anything.
But he did.
And so I do.
Kind of.
Nobody Important

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wouldn't a 10 year old boy normally be freaked the hell out if some random bikini clad woman behind glass started saying something like that to them with that tone and facial expression?

Does Tatsuya think that if you're male you just inherently have this urge to control women? Let alone one so strong that you have it as a child?

If that's true than that's just fucked up. I'm hoping this is just symbolism or allegory. Even if it is this strip still comes off as weird and creepy at least.
Strix Varia

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sexual curiosity is definitely a thing even at an early age. Why do they have different parts than me? What do those different parts look like? What do those different parts do? Wanting to figure those things out isn't just normal, it's a sign of intellectual growth.

Rape isn't about sex. It's about fear and anger. Trying to repress sexual curiosity and development, especially through guilt and fear, is far more likely to bottle up a persons frustrations until they feel they are forced to find a release. If they can't find that release in a publically acceptable way then they are more likely to find publically UNacceptable ways to do it.

I am in NO way suggesting that it is a parents duty to get their twelve year old child laid but do try to remember that sexual curiosity is a natural thing and excessive punishment for it can lead to far more harm than good in the long run both personally and socially.
Zilla

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this is supposed to be Tat confronting the conditioning he absorbed unconsciously before his turnaround. As such, it's probably going to be a more personal story, that may not be so globally applicable. At least, I hope there's that context behind it.

This particular strip is very Catholic in terms of "resist temptation, or become corrupted into a monster." It's nice that the aim is noble, but there are a lot of problems when moralizing through that approach. It can be a starting point, but it isn't about being good for your own sake. It's using fear as a control mechanism. Some people do need that as a kick in the pants to start them on the right path, but it can warp and twist good values, and make what should be a healthy, positive interaction into a fitful, stressful one.

Really, deep growth takes a lot more than fear of consequences. That's only stage 2 on Kohlberg's scale of moral development.
Caimsen

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zilla wrote:
I think this is supposed to be Tat confronting the conditioning he absorbed unconsciously before his turnaround. As such, it's probably going to be a more personal story, that may not be so globally applicable. At least, I hope there's that context behind it.

This particular strip is very Catholic in terms of "resist temptation, or become corrupted into a monster." It's nice that the aim is noble, but there are a lot of problems when moralizing through that approach. It can be a starting point, but it isn't about being good for your own sake. It's using fear as a control mechanism. Some people do need that as a kick in the pants to start them on the right path, but it can warp and twist good values, and make what should be a healthy, positive interaction into a fitful, stressful one.

Really, deep growth takes a lot more than fear of consequences. That's only stage 2 on Kohlberg's scale of moral development.

Moral is a very nice construct. Something what had many changes in Human History. I mean, it was ok to own Slaves, to cut out Hearts of Prisoners as a gift to the Gods and some other nice things.

Hm, looks like the old Tat came out a bit. Lets see if Bikinis will have an influence on him in the future.
cobradane

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zilla wrote:
I think this is supposed to be Tat confronting the conditioning he absorbed unconsciously before his turnaround.

There's no zealot like a convert...
Vixine

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zilla wrote:

It's just more of the overlap between SWERFs and fundamentalists.

I also strongly agree about the "what the hell prepubescent kid is enticed rather than unsettled by that? Maybe I'm projecting because I've always been very self-conscious when it comes to IRL engagement but especially as a kid that kind of thing would have me power-walking the other direction. Maybe blushing, but certainly not staring like a creeper.
Argus

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobody Important wrote:
Wouldn't a 10 year old boy normally be freaked the hell out if some random bikini clad woman behind glass started saying something like that to them with that tone and facial expression?

Heck, that would probably mildly freak me out now. Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Sinfest All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: