Welcome to the Fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

My honest feelings about Sinfest

View previous topic :: View next topic  
HKVeteran

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:44 am    Post subject: My honest feelings about Sinfest Reply with quote

I am going to post this on the other forum as well, because I really want to get it off my chest. I know I run the risk of sounding like this guy, but to hell with it.

For a long time I have seen the forums devolve into a bloody re-enactment of the feminist sex wars of the 1980's with similar results. Meanwhile I realized (with a growing sense of dread) that I was enjoying the comic less and less. At the same time, I felt that I couldn't hold the politics responsible for it because anything and everything can be made engaging. I thought for a long time about it and I had a few revelations that I want to share because I believe they are making you comic go south.

First, the villians. The pimp is a lousy villian. In his debut we saw him get brushed aside by a child. There is no way I can take this guy seriously as a threat after that. I didn't care when he landed in that unnamed, broken down, middle-east country (a moment that felt just slightly racist, as well as a gross oversimplification of what is actually going on over there) because I didn't feel any of those people were in danger. You know what is going to happen to them after that panel? Nothing. They are going to bum rush him and he is either going to be beaten to death or run back into his robot, lose his footing on that carpet, and impale his face on a control stick. Problem solved, story over, zero dramatic tension.

Political reasons for his inclusion in the story aside, I want to talk about a possible narrative reason for it. A replacement for Sam. The pimp cannot hold that guy's jock strap much less walk in his shoes. Sam is such an amazing character because he is head over heels in love with Lady Liberty. He expresses this love with terrible actions in the vain hope that Lady Liberty will be impressed. She never is and THAT RIGHT THERE makes that entire relationship exciting. He wants to impress her the only way he knows how and it backfires, making him panic and double down on what he knows. Meanwhile, Lady Liberty still believes in his original ideals and thinks he can be saved if only he could clean up and fly straight. All of that came to a head in that arc near the end of 2016. That arc POPPED straight off my screen, with this strip being the key moment. It ended the way it should have, with the two of them going their separate ways

Fast forward to the end of next year and he tries to re-create the magic with the outgoing year and the pimpbot. Okay, a couple of minor quibbles. One, the outgoing year always had their own thing with death that was only loosely connected to the main plot. Two, the pimpbot was little more than a background character before. This is essentially bringing a fourth-stringer to the starting lineup. However, changing it up from time to time is good too. So let's see what happens. Stale old lady jokes (actually that one was funny) and Deus Ex Machina? Well, I give you points for trying at least.

What's this? A clandestine meeting between Fuschia and Blue? You have my full attention! Unfortunately, it was a lie and you proceeded to focus on the pimp who couldn't defeat a child, and the Johnbies who are the least scary zombies in existence. There was a flashback showing how he and (what's her name? Heather?) met, but we don't see that he cares for her. All that talk about giving women employment opportunity falls flat because I don't believe he believes it. It is a very obvious excuse and that kills all the tension.

Another villian who is bleeding credibility is Sleaze. I hate Sleaze the right way, because he isn't Slick but he is close enough to fool everyone else. This is a guy who can really mess everything up for Slick and all of his friends. He had a great start by incapacitating Slick back last Novemeber, but what has he done since then? Purchased a striptease? Camping out for another striptease? In the strips world, that's standard male behavior, he can do better than that. He can further alienate Monique (which he sort of did, although it felt pretty inconsequential) and he can keep Squig from going to the light (which he also sort of attempted, in a petty and dissapointing way, and the results still have yet to be seen).

These lousy villians are a problem because they are ruining the protagonists. I can't root for the good guys if I don't care if they beat the bad guys. There is nothing at stake. That is a weird sentence to say about Sinfest because I have a lot of burning questions about it. Will Monique and Slick be friends again? Will Vainglorious usurp The Devil from his throne? Will he steal Fuschia from Criminy? Will Lil'E finally figure out what his destiny is? How will that effect him and Seymour? Will Blue leave Devil Tech and find the Angel twins and beg for salvation? Will Hekate get off her ass and do something? Anything? (Your trophy? Seriously? You did FUCK ALL during that arc)

And what will happen to Slick?!

I love Sinfest. I have read it since 2010. These are the burning questions I have about the strips world. And I will keep coming back in the hope that they will be answered. I know how Tat views the good parts of the strip, and how he views people like me, but this was something I wanted to say. For the past few months I have been dissapointed, but I hope and believe that it will end soon.
Leohan

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try to register under a different name, if you want to post it in that forum. I get the feeling that we are all blacklisted (and am ok with it)

Now featuring around 40 pages about non-sentient toasters
Nobody Important

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leohan wrote:
Try to register under a different name, if you want to post it in that forum. I get the feeling that we are all blacklisted (and am ok with it)

I was able to sign up, and use the same name. If we were blacklisted that wouldn't be possible.
mouse

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think it's the same deal as when this forum was updated - the new forum can't import users from the old one (which is probably just as well since there is a huge glut of people who seem to have signed up and never posted - much tidier to start from scratch). so if you really want to go there, you just have to sign up again.

trying to decide if i should sign up just to keep anyone from appropriating my username, in case that forum ends up being interesting...but right now, i'm not sanguine.
Chuck The Jester

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would hope that if Tat sunsets this forum, he's upfront about it. A lot of you have been with him a Long Damned Time. Where there is a fork in the road, and you can't follow should not nullify the time that was spent.

I hope he keeps it going. You built this place and much of its previous incarnation. You ought to have your names on that part of the deed, at the least.

There's one or two that might say there is nothing owed to anyone by Tat.

Technically, they are correct. Here's a Right! button to pin on.

But it ain't a bank account.
More like a friendship.
Sometimes you and a friend of yours no longer seem eye to eye.
Too much time and space together, or too little.
You want the best for them, but you can't go with them.
Maybe you see them again down the road.
Wisdom turns a lot of the time passed and old hurts to laughs.

That's my hope, such as it is, for you guys.
And Tat.
Yorick

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mouse wrote:
trying to decide if i should sign up just to keep anyone from appropriating my username, in case that forum ends up being interesting...but right now, i'm not sanguine.

that statement made me decide to claim my ID, even if I never post.
Presently just waiting for activation.

mouse wrote:
i think it's the same deal as when this forum was updated - the new forum can't import users from the old one (which is probably just as well since there is a huge glut of people who seem to have signed up and never posted - much tidier to start from scratch). so if you really want to go there, you just have to sign up again.

It would seem possible to import the user database from one forum to the other, as they're both vBulletin and owned by the same person. Unlike whatever Keenspot was on (I forget) and being that Keenspot was owned by someone else.
but, cleanliness, puppets, dragons, something.
Vixine

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh god, Keenspot forums. Dominic Deegan. I rode that nonsense train all the way to the end of the line.
ReidlosToof

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always seen Sinfest as an outlet for Tat to trigger the overly sensitive and get his stream of consciousness into an understandable (and previously comedic) form. Lately he seems to have lost inspiration. He's just rehashing the same stuff he has been putting out since the redirection started, and repetition is very hard to find entertaining. When you're pulling a reference to The Matrix in 2018, something has gone wrong. You have an agenda and you want to express yourself, but if it isn't entertaining, you're soon just going to be expressing yourself like the doomsday preacher on the street corner to yourself and your diehard fans until they finally get bored as well.
Caimsen

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ReidlosToof wrote:
I've always seen Sinfest as an outlet for Tat to trigger the overly sensitive and get his stream of consciousness into an understandable (and previously comedic) form. Lately he seems to have lost inspiration. He's just rehashing the same stuff he has been putting out since the redirection started, and repetition is very hard to find entertaining. When you're pulling a reference to The Matrix in 2018, something has gone wrong. You have an agenda and you want to express yourself, but if it isn't entertaining, you're soon just going to be expressing yourself like the doomsday preacher on the street corner to yourself and your diehard fans until they finally get bored as well.

He got a lot of storys to tell. Worst of it, he keeps starting to make new ones. It looks like that we get a bit more info about one story and at the same time, three other pops up.
Sam

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ReidlosToof wrote:
When you're pulling a reference to The Matrix in 2018, something has gone wrong.

speak for yourself. i found both it and his years-long use of "the macarena" to explain gendercritical theory to be timely and hip
Sam

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vixine wrote:
Oh god, Keenspot forums. Dominic Deegan. I rode that nonsense train all the way to the end of the line.

ah yes the product-of-its-time loss of luster grown heavy

including of course, the Noble Rape
Yorick

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yorick wrote:
mouse wrote:

mouse wrote:

It would seem possible to import the user database from one forum to the other, as they're both vBulletin and owned by the same person. Unlike whatever Keenspot was on (I forget) and being that Keenspot was owned by someone else.

I just want to note that while I signed up for an account, with the automated message that it would be verified by moderator within 2 days, it's been 10 and such has not happened. In case anyone wondered if they wouldn't be welcome.
Absynthe

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yorick wrote:
Yorick wrote:
mouse wrote:

mouse wrote:

I just want to note that while I signed up for an account, with the automated message that it would be verified by moderator within 2 days, it's been 10 and such has not happened. In case anyone wondered if they wouldn't be welcome.

Same. Signed up the day it launched, and I'm not confirmed.
Nobody Important

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the direction the new forum's going I don't think I wanna be verified anyway.
Dalrint

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobody Important wrote:
With the direction the new forum's going I don't think I wanna be verified anyway.

He is actively telling someone from this forum who was verified under a different name to leave, I guess he's tracking IP addresses, so I doubt anyone using the same name as here is getting verified.

Why would anyone want to be a part of that anyway?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Sinfest All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: