Welcome to the Fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The "Sinfest Did A Regressive Feminism" thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 30, 31, 32

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ChastMastr

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mouse wrote:
maybe what it really comes down to is, i want to believe that someone whose work i like, who has amused me, is also someone i would like personally, i.e, someone who at least tolerates my views, if not actually sharing them. which may be why it hurts to much to think i was wrong, because it means i was also stupid.

Me too. But I don't think you were stupid. I think the Tartuffe quote fits here as well. <3 Hugs.
Nobody Important

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's no stupidity in feeling hopeful Mouse.
Dalrint

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't mean the question in a nasty or mean way, I was genuinely curious if he had done something in the last few years that could give someone that impression.

Because as far as I could remember he had not.

And yeah. I've been reading sinfest since almost the beginning (I'm old) and it's...depressing to feel myself shifting away from it because of things like this.
mouse

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks, guys.

Dalrint - i didn't take your question as meant to be mean - i guess what we are trying to tell you is, we were going by what our general assumptions about tat were, not anything he specifically said. while he didn't say anything explicitly supportive, he didn't say anything negative. he never said anything one way or another about lesbians or gays, either, but he started portraying them as ....well, human, rather than stereotypes ('nique & Abby vs. original Blue & Fuchsia). so i guess we were hoping that, even though he hadn't explicitly said or portrayed anything about trans people (since the 'trans zone' strips) that ...well.......

as you see, we all feel let down, to say the least.
Yorick

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mouse wrote:
maybe what it really comes down to is, i want to believe that someone whose work i like, who has amused me, is also someone i would like personally, i.e, someone who at least tolerates my views, if not actually sharing them. which may be why it hurts to much to think i was wrong, because it means i was also stupid.

people do change. all things end. Endings are not always the same for all individuals.
Zilla

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He saw the error of his ways before. Maybe he'll see it again. Maybe this is just the beginning of the end. Maybe he will do some soul-searching and understand what he needs to do to be a real ally.

But it's going to involve breaking down a lot of bad concepts he's internalized. Right now, he sees strawmen all over the place. That's basically the johnbie thing. A charicature of what he thinks the opposition is. It's clear he's not even aware of what his critics are saying at all. Nobody here is trying to defend the system we have. A lot of people here are suffering from the same patriarchy that he is trying to fight. He sees us as defending a system we all want to remove. That's why it hurts to see him point a sword in our direction. We should be allies. He should know better.
ChastMastr

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This startled me in the news this weekend, given that the topic has been so current here on the boards, but it looks like it ultimately had the reverse effect of what the anti-trans people intended.

Lesbian group’s anti-trans protest at London Pride backfires
Yorick

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChastMastr wrote:
This startled me in the news this weekend, given that the topic has been so current here on the boards, but it looks like it ultimately had the reverse effect of what the anti-trans people intended.

Lesbian group’s anti-trans protest at London Pride backfires

so crazy. a historically oppressed group now attempts to oppress a subset of their own group.

(this excessive generalization brought to you by the letter o.0.)
ChastMastr

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alas, I see this with some of my own (white) gay community regarding people of color too. Sad And, while I absolutely understand the need of a country to protect itself, the treatment of the Palestinians by Israel (and, also, the anti-semitism of some otherwise progressive groups in the US using Israel's actions as a reason to be anti-semitic) has been ghastly.

Oh, and classism in (at least in my own experiences) some members of the white gay male crowd. I was horrified in one local Facebook group that I finally left when a (to me, horribly expensive) house was being discussed as being on the market, and people were talking about how rising prices "kept out the riff-raff." For real, not ironically. Ick ick ick ick ick.
mouse

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

amazing, the human ability to find someone else to look down on.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Sinfest All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 30, 31, 32
Page 32 of 32

Jump to: