Welcome to the Fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Relevant to the whole TERF thing

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ChastMastr

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:18 am    Post subject: Relevant to the whole TERF thing Reply with quote

Yikes.

From the Southern Poverty Law Center:

Christian Right tips to fight transgender rights: separate the T from the LGB

Quote:
In her presentation, Kilgannon mapped out three non-negotiables in the fight against the so-called gender identity agenda, a conspiracy theory touted by anti-LGBT groups that disavows sexual orientation and gender identity. The first is to “divide and conquer. For all its recent success, the LGBT alliance is actually fragile and the trans activists need the gay rights movement to help legitimize them.” In other words, separate trans activists from the gay rights movement, and their agenda becomes much easier to oppose. As Kilgannon explained, “Trans and gender identity are a tough sell, so focus on gender identity to divide and conquer.” For many, “gender identity on its own is just a bridge too far. If we separate the T from the alphabet soup we’ll have more success.”

Kilgannon identified a wide coalition of potential allies outside the Christian Right who could confront trans friendly measures. Here’s her advice on how to draw them in:

Explain that gender identity rights only come at the expense of others: women, sexual assault survivors, female athletes forced to compete against men and boys, ethnic minorities who culturally value modesty, economically challenged children who face many barriers to educational success and don’t need another level of chaos in their lives, children with anxiety disorders and the list goes on and on and on.

The list could almost read like a manifesto for intersectionality, if it weren’t for its exclusion of some key groups, most notably transgender people themselves.
Taemon

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

:-(
Zilla

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What really gets me about the TERF ideology is how similar it is to racism. "Don't call us nazi's/TERFs, call us alt-right/gender critical."
"We're not oppressors, we just want safe spaces for white people/women born women."
"We don't hate other races/trans people. They're just savages/delusional, and need our help."
"Their concerns are different from ours. They should have their own movement."

PhilosophyTube touches on this in the video Why the Left will win, by talking about communities of strength, and communities of vulnerability. Regressive groups like this make appeals to be communities of vulnerability, but it's insincere. It's about not being strong "in the way that I see strength." It's not about accepting anyone else, or listening to their pain, or seeking to understand. It's a reactionary movement, grown out of fear, that is an attempt to protect oneself from challenging their conceptions about what it means to be human.

Specifically, when it comes to separating a progressive movement, this isn't the first time either. Racism was a huge setback for feminism in the 20th century, and continues to be divisive for similar reasons today. It's a distraction, and it undermines the real cause we're all fighting for.
Greyman

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, the divide-and-conquor tactic. Throwing the weakest to the wolves is obviously an idea to ally with in order to seek legitimacy.

Wait. No it isn't...
Martin_Niemöller wrote:
First they came for the Jews
and I did not speak out
because I was not a Jew.

Then they came for the Communists
and I did not speak out
because I was not a Communist.

Then they came for the trade unionists
and I did not speak out
because I was not a trade unionist.

Then they came for me
and there was no one left
to speak out for me.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: