Welcome to the Fest
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

I think we're being too hard on Tatsuya
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Sinfest
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Sam



Joined: 09 Jul 2006
Posts: 11372

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. we don't have to know the intent of the strips to understand their impact

2. the message of the strips is bad and petulant

3. it is hard to credit KAKASS with having any sort of credible fresh take on the vanity of a bunch of people who are dunking on bad, petulant strips enforcing a bad worldview when KAKASS is observably one of the most weirdly vain people to have made their egress in this whole shitshow. i think she's still tilting into windmills on her private bigot forum or something by now, right? she can tolerate the criticism about as well or as subtly as donald trump

KAKASS is a master of nothing except for being consistently outspokenly transphobic enough to impress a pressure onto victims of her marginalization to internalize her hatred. beyond that tragic superpower, she's obscenely, often impressively dumb and wrong about everything, and 'everything' includes a take on whether we're being unfair about a bad comic being bad in service of a bad ideology.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
CopperRose



Joined: 19 Aug 2016
Posts: 203

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don’t think the Johnbies are an attack on us forum posters either but an attack on the type of men who would go to a place like the BOMF district. Like zombies they have a one track mind: sex. They mindlessly bumble around thinking it’s all good because the girls want money and they want sex so, it’s a win, win situation without ever thinking that their money is fueling the sex traffic machine behind the scenes because they are idiot zombies who just don’t get it. Instead they bow down to Pimpbot for delivering to them their daily booty..I mean bread. And encouraged to manhandle the merchandise (see: bruising). OH! and if anyone disagree with their activities they are a “SWERF” (yeah I know it's not a slurr but, that's how the Johnbie used it) because they don’t want to hear they are wrong for going to the BOMF district. Of course, they are worse of the lot, one we knew had a wife and family and a good job worried about losing it all if his activities came to light and Sapphire's quip about the kept woman's husband secretly seeing them to Roxanne. So, if Tat is depicting the BOMF district as the worse case scenario, then the patrons have to be the worse case scenario too.

This isn't very different than the men in Sinfest being brainwashed in a factory with hardcore, sexist, racist pornography and bowing to Porno Man like he's some greek god a few years back. And just like the Johnbies, they justified and argue that porn was good with anyone who disagreed with it. Sam and Liberty even broke up over it.
_________________
She works hard for the money.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Nobody Important



Joined: 18 Jan 2016
Posts: 917

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CopperRose wrote:
I don’t think the Johnbies are an attack on us forum posters either but an attack on the type of men who would go to a place like the BOMF district. Like zombies they have a one track mind: sex. They mindlessly bumble around thinking it’s all good because the girls want money and they want sex so, it’s a win, win situation without ever thinking that their money is fueling the sex traffic machine behind the scenes because they are idiot zombies who just don’t get it. Instead they bow down to Pimpbot for delivering to them their daily booty..I mean bread. And encouraged to manhandle the merchandise (see: bruising). OH! and if anyone disagree with their activities they are a “SWERF” (yeah I know it's not a slurr but, that's how the Johnbie used it) because they don’t want to hear they are wrong for going to the BOMF district. Of course, they are worse of the lot, one we knew had a wife and family and a good job worried about losing it all if his activities came to light and Sapphire's quip about the kept woman's husband secretly seeing them to Roxanne. So, if Tat is depicting the BOMF district as the worse case scenario, then the patrons have to be the worse case scenario too.

This isn't very different than the men in Sinfest being brainwashed in a factory with hardcore, sexist, racist pornography and bowing to Porno Man like he's some greek god a few years back. And just like the Johnbies, they justified and argue that porn was good with anyone who disagreed with it. Sam and Liberty even broke up over it.


(Bolding mine)

Hmm, I didn't think of it like that. I agree.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Samsally



Joined: 10 Jul 2006
Posts: 7591

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I mean, honestly, the forum has probably always been a vipers nest. That's not new and it hasn't been for years and years. We wax and wane over how proud we are of the fact, but I think most of us agree that it is fact.

Being mean and being wrong aren't the same things, though.
_________________
Samsally the GrayAce
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Eiden



Joined: 01 Jul 2007
Posts: 544

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sam wrote:
i think she's still tilting into windmills on her private bigot forum or something by now, right? she can tolerate the criticism about as well or as subtly as donald trump


I have to see this.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Eiden



Joined: 01 Jul 2007
Posts: 544

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
the best part is that I got throught to some thick skulls with that burn. maybe. wow. shaming people kinda work! who'd thunk lol


Is she having a stroke?

Did we ever determine whether or not english was her first language, or does she just get more incoherent when she's trying to fracas?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Dalrint



Joined: 19 Jun 2007
Posts: 10

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you really be too hard on someone who, when a trans woman was being attacked and misgendered on their forum, swooped in to help attack them and defend their attacker?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Sam the Eagle



Joined: 01 Oct 2006
Posts: 2706
Location: 192.168.0.1

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 12:29 am    Post subject: Re: I think we're being too hard on Tatsuya Reply with quote

Nobody Important wrote:
We're all assuming that he based the Johnbies off of us...<snip>


Nope, that thought never entered my mind. My pet grievance with Tat's crusade is the fact he is crusading. Long past are rthe day when he could twist a story and smack us on the head with some unexpected side viewpoint twisting the whole story line. Now, it's his view over and over and over and over, ad nauseam. His views on prostitution and radical feminism turns the whole Sinfest world into a zero sum divided by sex. In other words Tat's comic is slowly turning into a modern version of Tomas de Torquemada.

Which leads to ...

Samsally wrote:

I mean, honestly, the forum has probably always been a vipers nest. That's not new and it hasn't been for years and years. We wax and wane over how proud we are of the fact, but I think most of us agree that it is fact.

Being mean and being wrong aren't the same things, though.


So very true. We've been currently nicer in our replies than I ever remember given the subjects' sensitivity. The one true crime, being obnoxious and spouting pre-digested moronisms without engaging the other side, was open season for a good and very often entertaining trouncing.

But now, it's Tat himself that does the very thing this forum used to hunt and destroy mercilessly. Times, they are changing
_________________
我的氣墊船裝滿了鱔魚
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Sam



Joined: 09 Jul 2006
Posts: 11372

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the situation as it stands presents many positives:

1. i don't have to give much of it the benefit of the doubt; the terf actors are known quantities

2. it's really low priority. more of my interest and attention is currently on maximizing the number of nazi faces punched at the Unite the Right 2 rally. TERFs really aren't getting around these days and are more on the 'sad caricature' level

3. the comfort of terf enablers can be triaged to the lowest possible concern
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Cesario Rose



Joined: 31 Jan 2013
Posts: 16

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm kinda a new account on the forums, but I've been reading sinfest for years and years. I don't remember when exactly I started, but I remember when book 1 came out. Smile


I am not trying to be hard or critical of Tat's message. I don't personally agree with it. But I see it in terms of "to each their own."

Honestly, this past year or two of strips have been kinda meh/boring for me. I get the message - I just disagree with it. I sometimes go weeks without reading/checking in on the strip. And when I do I see nothing changes. If there were more of something i'd say character development beyond johnbies are bad, etc. I liked the Crim and (I forget her name because it's been forever)'s blossoming relationship. I thought it was super cute. Smile I liked Lil E and the ninja devil-girl - their interactions were hilarious!

My point is - those things kept my coming back for more - I just had to see how things panned out for the characters.

Now? I check in to see if things have changed. And I do it less and less.

I miss Buddha and the Dragon and God and Jesus.
_________________
Emotion, yet peace.
Ignorance, yet knowledge.
Passion, yet serenity.
Chaos, yet harmony.
Death, yet the Force.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Eiden



Joined: 01 Jul 2007
Posts: 544

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cesario Rose wrote:
I am not trying to be hard or critical of Tat's message. I don't personally agree with it. But I see it in terms of "to each their own."


This works less with open bigotry. It's hard to tolerate intolerance.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
HKVeteran



Joined: 05 Mar 2017
Posts: 117
Location: New Mexico

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cesario Rose wrote:
Honestly, this past year or two of strips have been kinda meh/boring for me. I get the message - I just disagree with it. I sometimes go weeks without reading/checking in on the strip. And when I do I see nothing changes. If there were more of something i'd say character development beyond johnbies are bad, etc. I liked the Crim and (I forget her name because it's been forever)'s blossoming relationship. I thought it was super cute. Smile I liked Lil E and the ninja devil-girl - their interactions were hilarious!

My point is - those things kept my coming back for more - I just had to see how things panned out for the characters.

Now? I check in to see if things have changed. And I do it less and less.

I miss Buddha and the Dragon and God and Jesus.


This! Absolutely this! I have harped on and on about this for a while.

Look forward to another appearance by the story-time zombie.
_________________
It's easy to see without looking to far that not much is really sacred - Bob Dylan "It's Alright Ma (I'm Only Bleeding)"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Midnight Tea



Joined: 15 Jul 2012
Posts: 403
Location: In the Haunted Lands

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
the best part is that I got throught to some thick skulls with that burn. maybe. wow. shaming people kinda work! who'd thunk lol
Maybe we're not as hostile or unreasonable as you've convinced yourself we are? Or that we don't actually hate Mr. Ishida? Or in fact, if you can believe it, speaking only for myself: I take your concerns and issues seriously . That's the beauty part of intersectional feminism -- caring about your needs doesn't have to contradict caring about the needs of others, even if on the surface they might initially appear to be incompatible.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Strix Varia



Joined: 07 Feb 2016
Posts: 247
Location: State of confusion

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lol! both forums cross quoting each other kinda defeats the purpose of two forums.
_________________
Being a bit pervy isn't always a bad thing. Chiverally isn't always sexist. Being a little devious isn't always evil. Mankind includes all genders. Be safe, put a safety on that trigger.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Argus



Joined: 17 Mar 2017
Posts: 196

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Strix Varia wrote:
Lol! both forums cross quoting each other kinda defeats the purpose of two forums.

Word.

To quote Dwarf Fortress, "it was inevitable."
_________________
Dainty dainty dainty. Tee hee. Giggle. Oh, you. Head tilt.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Sinfest All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group