welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Photoreceptors adjusting. Please stand by. 11/27/06
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Keign

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CoolChristian wrote:
so for sorting your in favor of yyyy/mm/dd? thats completely backwards from what anyone else has said that they prefer.
way to be contrary.

Oh really?

Yarko wrote:

The japanese way is best for computer representation. That way we sort by year, month, and then day.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Twister87

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MsFrisby wrote:
You do see that there is a whole extra word in the way you want us to say it, right? (At least. If you also want us to say "The" at the beginning, you're asking us for two syllables.)

27th OF November, 2006

whereas it is briefer to say

November 27th, 2006

So, if you're going for brevity and have less syllables to say, then you're going to want to go with the American format.

All well and good, but it doesn't work when you put it into numerical format only, ie 11/27/2006 is confusing, where as 27/11/2006 makes sense. How you say the date is up to you, I just reckon the dd/mm/yyyy format in the numerical sense is far less the conundrum.
CoolChristian

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keign wrote:

Oh really?

your right, my bad. japanese win when it comes to sorting.

Twister87 wrote:

11/27/2006 is confusing, where as 27/11/2006 makes sense

It definitely is the way that you grew up, cause for me, the second way makes no sense unless i really look at it. but logically, the American way makes no sense. but did you really expect any different?
Sam the Eagle

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CoolChristian wrote:
Keign wrote:

Oh really?

your right, my bad. japanese win when it comes to sorting.

Well....Actually that this way makes a lot more sense when sorting files in computers has nothing to do with it . Japan's way of writing dates are sorted by "Nth-Year-of-current-Emperor-ruling", month, day. Trying to figure out the difference bewteen now and what happened, in e.g, Meiji period requires you to know how much years each reign lasted.

A hefty amount of painkillers nearby can be handy.

CoolChristian wrote:

Twister87 wrote:

11/27/2006 is confusing, where as 27/11/2006

It definitely is the way that you grew up, cause for me, the second way makes no sense unless i really look at it. but logically, the American way makes no sense. but did you really expect any different?

It internal loigc : e.g you write a letter to someone about something personnal, what feelings you're expressing are those of the moment. Hence the dd/mm/yy logic; you're going from the moment.

And this apply only when using numbers only, writing Nov 27th just solve the problem.
MellowFish

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

a brief aside...

speaking of sorting, I took a programming class and the only thing useful I got out of it was sorting algorithms. It turns out that some of them work much better in person than in the computer. So now instead of simply sorting papers I have to grade by finding all the a', then all the b's, I break the stack into three, sort each stack, and then merge them. It sounds nerdy to the extreme but it works fantastically. I can now sort a stack of 200 papers in mere minutes.

... aaaaand now back to dates and such
PeteMoss

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For writing the date out I prefer DD/MM/YYYY

When other people have to read what I write I usually do: Month (written out, not abbreviated) DD YYYY

For computer sorting I do YYYY-MM-DD
That way all the years and months are grouped together.
Keign

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was just struck by the realization that we would rather debate something as trivial as the order with which day, month, and year are written than discuss the comic.
I feel as if we've insulted Tat.
But then again, it wasn't really all that glorious of a comic, I suppose.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
CoolChristian

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 5:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i assume that everybody read at least some of Tat's Notes From the Resistance? well, every one has the date in some different way, and i just remembered that now.

watch, everybody knew that and assumed that everyone else did, too. ahh well, ill point it out in case theres some other noob.
falsedef

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yyyy/mm/dd is the most logical, which has been said already. It leaves no ambiguity for both chronological sorting and date representation (since yyyy/dd/mm is rare, or nonexistent). However, it's more likely to be written YYYY-MM-DD. Computers work even better with metric time.

However, falsedef will let you in on the American nerd secret: today's date is B.1C.7D6
Sam the Eagle

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keign wrote:

No on both fronts, Sunday comic, imo, was so so, this one is better. And this kind of talk makes good munckins for humour stuff, I had a good laugh at today's date naming

And the answer to the big question is : 101010.

Last edited by Sam the Eagle on Tue Nov 28, 2006 2:29 pm; edited 2 times in total
lily

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i've always seen it as...

in english, we say: november 27th
hence, 11/27

in french, they say:
le 27 novembre
hence, 27/11

same in spanish:
el 27 noviembre
27/11
filecore

Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: PHP error in MySQL at line 46

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lily wrote:
in english, we say: november 27th
hence, 11/27

That's just the problem. In English - that is, British English - we say: the 27th of November. In American English, we say: November 27th. I do tend to refer to "English" and "American" when I'm teaching students (I'm a teacher of English as a foreign language).

So when you say "in English", you have to qualify that. And to further confuse you, there are some areas (particularly preposition use - "on the weekend" or "at the weekend"...) where other speakers of English - such as South Africans or Australians - will be inconsistent in their usage, as compared to native British or American English speakers.

There are so many variations with different word usage and grammar rules that I believe it's redundant just to say "English" now - it's too unclear. It's a bit like French and Québécois, or Spanish and Portugese, or Danish and Norwegian...
Lemontree

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keign wrote:
I was just struck by the realization that we would rather debate something as trivial as the order with which day, month, and year are written than discuss the comic.

Its called Thread-Hijacking. Its common practice around here, and it makes the day far more interesting.

Personally I like the argument that we Americans are trying to be efficient by saving two syllables when saying the date.

BOOB 28th IES November, 2006

Now wasn't that a far better use of time?
WheelsOfConfusion

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

filecore wrote:
There are so many variations with different word usage and grammar rules that I believe it's redundant just to say "English" now - it's too unclear. It's a bit like French and Québécois, or Spanish and Portugese, or Danish and Norwegian...

Bronx and Manhattan-an.

Last edited by WheelsOfConfusion on Tue Nov 28, 2006 4:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
kame

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For sorting the japanese way is the best, for every day use Nov. 26, 2008 should be fine. Most forms you're required to fill out will specify the desired format.

No thread hijacking, the comic was awesome. Poor crimmy needs some shades!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Sinfest All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: