Sinfest Forum Index Sinfest
welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Anime: the good, the bad, and the WTF!?!?!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 30, 31, 32  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
echs

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think these have been mentioned (some really ones have already been mentioned), but you might like these going by what you listed: Great Teacher Onizuka (comedy), Full Metal Panic (comedy/mechs), Tokyo Underground (action mostly), Haibane Renmei (uh, it's about angels...), Boogiepop Phantom (really strange), Ai Yori Aoshi (cutesy), Rahxephon (twisted) and, if you can get it, Kogepan (4 minute episodes following the trials of a burnt piece of bread).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
kame

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For a good quick watch, try "Voices of a Distant Star" , it's only 40 minutes long and is pure goodness. Beyond the Clouds is a feature length film from the same creator.

Get some Ghibli for your kids, yo.
echs

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kame wrote:
For a good quick watch, try "Voices of a Distant Star" , it's only 40 minutes long and is pure goodness. Beyond the Clouds is a feature length film from the same creator.

Get some Ghibli for your kids, yo.

Indeed. Voices of a Distant Star is absolutely brilliant. (Also known as Hoshi no Koe). I'll have to check out Beyond the Clouds. And yeah, can't go wrong with ghibli for the kids.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Flion

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to remark on the last two Ghibli comments: Ghibli for the kids? ARE YOU NUTS??? Mostly it's for adults. Some, like Totoro, are suitable for children, but much can be disturbing to kids, like Princess Mononoke. Use with caution. Don't even think of showing Grave of the Fireflies to your kids and don't watch it alone, yourself. Having said that, the reason I like Miyazaki's films is that, aside from the fact that they're beautifully rendered, they have real stories and situations so that an adult can watch them and not just be entertained but also engaged in the story as well. They're not just kid stuff.
MsFrisby

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My kids love Ghibli. We've even watched Grave of the Fireflies together. They didn't care for that one much, and I don't blame them. But they love Howl's Moving Castle, Spirited Away, Porco Rosso and Nausicaa. Not to leave out Kiki and Totoro. Princess Mononoke has been watched several times, but again, not a favorite with them. Probably because they are missing some of the subtext. Anyway, I think that you can judge your own child's level of tolerance for that kind of thing. As far as I know, Alora or Xavier have never had bad dreams about giant demon warthogs or such. Alora seems much more worried about tigers and lions getting in.
MsFrisby

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh, and the people they got to do the voice acting are actually very good. Patrick Stewart in Nausicaa? Kirsten Dunst in Kiki? Really, I don't see that getting the english spoken versions is a step down.
echs

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well... with some of the stuff kids watch (harry potter, lord of the rings, labyrinth, it, at the least...) they're gonna get nightmares one way or the other...

However, I'm not a parent, so I'm not sure where I'd really draw the line with my own (if/when). To each their own. I remember liking total recall when I was about 10... and first watching ninja scroll and evangelion when I was about 12 or something... I don't think it messed me up... much...
MsFrisby

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't get me wrong, there are definitely things I don't let my kids watch yet because I know it would disturb them. For instance, I watched "Something Wicked This Way Comes" which I knew was not really a kids book, but the movie cover and description kind of had it billed as a children's movie. So, I watched it without them, and NO, not a kids movie. The hundreds of tarantulas invading the boy's bedroom scene? That would definitely have given them nightmares.
lily

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry but it does.

although 'azamunga daioh!' is really fun to say
Mizike

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Comic nerd, meet Anime Nerd
Anime Nerd, meet Comic Nerd
Pot, meet Kettle
Kettle, meet pot
lily

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

comics are good though

and i'm not a nerd

i just, you know, spend all my money on comic books and talk about them incessantly.
Uncle Benny

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*pats poor lily on the head*

it's ok, lily, it's ok...

and it's really hard to hate azumanga daioh
Krazy Stixx

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I liked Hellsing. That was a pretty good anime. FLCL is also pretty good, but that's probably because I've done so many drugs.

My biggest problem with anime is that it isn't nearly violent enough. Whenever someone gets cut in half, it's usually done so artistically that the actualy violence is eclipsed.

For shame, anime. For shame.
Lasairfiona

Location: I have to be somewhere? ::runs around frantically::

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For those who like a mind fuck: Serial Experiments: Lain

Things I have heard about and I want to see
Key the Metal Idol
A bunch of others. I am so behind. ::sob::

Also, the artistic cutting in half in anime is a culture thing just like fighting in trees is. They do their stories like those in the past would tell them - exagerated. Our fairy tales are similar. I rather like it.

PinkSpider43

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lily wrote:

Oh yes. Everything ever animated in Japan sucks.

Does that description hold true for manga too? I wouldn't dismiss that till you tried reading at least Death Note.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Casual Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 30, 31, 32  Next
Page 2 of 32

Jump to: