Sinfest Forum Index Sinfest
welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Um... a little help?..
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
squiggy_pig

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me again...

Almost a week later and I'm almost virus free! Razz

Thanks Fhqwhgads, it was VirusBurst, or VirusBurst was a part of it at least. That file I downloaded was a veritable smorgasbord of viruses...

So VirusBurst is gone (at least for the moment) and that got rid of most of the problems. I'm still unable to access the Task Manager, Regedit, or the Command Prompt though. Well, I can access them in safe mode under an administrator profile, but that's all.

But anyway, I'm getting there!

Thanks everyone for all the help Smile
kame

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I probably should have recommended this two days ago, when it was useful, but if you were able to, your life would have been a lot easier had you backed up whatever needed backing up, and wiping the system.
Michael

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

a veritable smorgasbord ey?

yeah we get dem a lot down south...
Secret

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This thread is plusgood.

My computer got hit sometime in the last few days (and surprisingly enough, I had nothing to do with it), and I'm using the tools I got from this thread to exterminate it.

*Tips hat to Wheels*
D-boy

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surfing Pron again eh.
Secret

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not this time.
filecore

Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: PHP error in MySQL at line 46

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be honest, I used to run Norton, and it was a real resource hog. I never liked it, and it's harder to remove than a lot of viruses are. I switched to F-Secure and the freeware Spyware Terminator which is light and fast (and recommends URLs for other tools if it finds but can't remove a virus) and I've been fine ever since. Firewalls are F-Secure's (although go to AV, not Internet Security suite) and XPSP2, as well as SPI on my Linksys router.

I'd say Spyware Terminator is one of the best out there, and it also comes with the option to automatically install Clam AV too. I can't understand why people always miss it off their lists: http://www.spywareterminator.com/ (incidentally I read about it in PC Pro or some such magazine, so it's not just another of those random AV programs you see pop-up adverts for).
squiggy_pig

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd also like to add Prevx1 to the list of helpful programs. It's the best one I've come across:
http://www.prevx.com/

Also, here's some additional notes...

Typing this in the "run" bar will enable your command prompt:
reg add HKCU\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\System /v DisableCMD /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f

Typing this in the "run" bar will enable Registry editing:
REG add HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System /v DisableRegistryTools /t REG_DWORD

Just copy/paste.
WheelsOfConfusion

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When this thread was started, I was just using the Avant browser. Then it got hijacked one time too many. I made The Switch to Firefox. I find it less likely to be hijacked (in fact, I haven't seen it happen at all!), but after using the full power of an Opera-clone shell like Avant, I found out that the basic FF browser is simply lacking in certain areas.
Plugins are essential.
For the security freak there's NoScript, which basically keeps any and every Java, JavaScript, Flash, etc. from even downloading. Instead of being a blacklist that selectively chooses what to block, it's a whitelist that only allows the content you hand-pick to run and keeps everything else out. Haven't tried it yet.
AdBlock Plus is a blacklist that keeps ads (and all their attendant stealth-installing spyware spawn) from displaying. It also gives you the option to disable or enable things like Flash objects. I'm using it! I really don't like the idea of blocking ALL ads, their revenue help keep my favorite sites in the black ink. The problem is that so many ads give your computer the Creepin' Crud that I just can't think of a safe way to allow only the clean ones.
Some sites are simply Internet Explorer Only (like Windows Update). IE View Lite can open any link in an IE window via the right-click menu, and you can set it to always open certain links in IE. In fact, you can set it to open them in other browsers like Opera or Avant, too. Helpful for any sites that depend on Shockwave content, I find.
Speaking of IE, the new version is much more like Firefox when it comes to, well, just about everything. Reviewers and testers find that IE 7 is definitely safer than 6, but still not as safe as Firefox is out-of-the-box. There are going to be times when you need Internet Explorer, so you may as well install the new version, keep it patched, and keep it secured anyway. See the first page for several things to keep IE safer.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Sinfest All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: