welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Space Shuttle News - Duct Tape....that's right, Duct tape!
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Usagi Miyamoto

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

her to

Last edited by Usagi Miyamoto on Fri Jun 29, 2007 9:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
Agamemnon

Location: Studying somewhere. Or at least that's where I should be.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jwing wrote:
If I promise to scrub your back, would you explain macrogravity to me? I've never heard of it.

I'm not sure anybody's actually coined the term. Quick, Nate, file for a trademark.

If "micro"gravity is a near weightless environment, I would venture a guess "macro"gravity would reduce all of us to beings wider than we are tall.

You whetted my curiosity, Usagi. A little research at my favorite internet encyclopedia:

Quote:
Duct tape is also called 100mph Tape in the military, citing the urban legend that duct tape will hold its adhesion up to winds traveling 100 miles per hour.

Heh.

Quote:
International naming

Australian 'duct tape'The name duct tape leads to confusion in conversation between Americans and Australians, since it refers to a completely different type of tape in Australia, as shown right. Duct tape in Australia refers to 2" wide PVC tape (usually silver in colour) with no cloth backing and much weaker clear adhesive. Duck brand cloth-backed tape in Australia is labelled as Power Tape, and other cloth-backed tapes are generally labelled as cloth tape or gaffer tape.

Other names for duct tape (including the Scandinavian "Jesus Tape", a name which comes from duct tape's apparent ability to perform miracles as Jesus did) have been documented at length by The Duct Tape Guys here.

Heh heh.

Sadly, Wikipedia has let me down, sortuv. They linked to a history of duct tape:

The Great Idea Finder wrote:
The original use was to keep moisture out of the ammunition cases. Because it was waterproof, people referred to the tape as "Duck Tape." Also, the tape was made using cotton duck - similar to what was used in their cloth medical tapes. Military personnel quickly discovered that the tape was very versatile and used it to fix their guns, jeeps, aircraft, etc. After the war, the tape was used in the booming housing industry to connect heating and air conditioning duct work together.

Soon, the color was changed from Army green to silver to match the ductwork and people started to refer to duck tape as "Duct Tape." Things changed during the 1970s, when the partners at Manco, Inc. placed rolls of duct tape in shrink wrap, making it easier for retailers to stack the sticky rolls. Different grades and colors of duct tape weren´t far behind. Soon, duct tape became the most versatile tool in the household.

P: They don't know we know they know we know. And Joey, you can't say anything!

J: Couldn't if I wanted to.
mouse

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i always figured it got called 'duck tape' because people hearing the name didn't pick up the 't' in 'duct' - interesting to hear there may be a different origin.

so - what kind do i use to patch my aluminum-foil type dryer ducts (the one the cats have poked holes in)?
Just_A_Girl

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My friend Diane is obsessed with Duct tape. So obsessed, that one year she didn't use wrapping paper for a mutual friends birthday present. Instead, she wrapped the gift in about...five layers of duct tape.
M.I.C.H.A.L.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Duct tape... Makes for a good tourniquet in a pinch.

Heh...heh...
Agamemnon

Location: Studying somewhere. Or at least that's where I should be.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mouse wrote:
so - what kind do i use to patch my aluminum-foil type dryer ducts (the one the cats have poked holes in)?

Actually, there is a nice aluminum foil tape that works well. (At least I think it's aluminum. I got some from the heating and airconditioning guy to fix one of my ducts.) CHeck out your local hardware store. I'll try to find some info on line for you so you know what to get.

P: They don't know we know they know we know. And Joey, you can't say anything!

J: Couldn't if I wanted to.
mouse

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

great!

....then i just have to figure a way to barracade the area so they can't poke holes in the patch.
PsycoMonkey

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.I.C.H.A.L. wrote:

there is some special duct tape that can hold tight in up to 200mph winds somewhere...i want some of that for my car
John Mytton

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PsycoMonkey wrote:
M.I.C.H.A.L. wrote:

there is some special duct tape that can hold tight in up to 200mph winds somewhere...i want some of that for my car

Because, y'know, a car that's beat up enough to need duct tape will do 200mph.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: