welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The return of the Sinfest Coloring Contest ?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bart

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 4:00 pm    Post subject: The return of the Sinfest Coloring Contest ? Reply with quote

As a young newb I once came across the old sinfest forums at keenspot. It was a wonderfull place with the weirdest collection of people. They spent their days with everything you can do on an internet forum. In this place many legendary threads were created: "the postwhoring thread of doom", "life's little pleasures/horrors", "The most pointless thread ever", and many more. Many of these have come to this forum in one incarnation or another, but one notable execption has been left behind "the Sinfest coloring contest" then hosted by Bodhisattva.

The contest was a fun thread as most of the colorings were very well done, so it was always a pleasure to see them. Therefore I am volunteering to revive the coloring contest, but I need help from you guys out there. I want at least 5 participants before restarting the game, just put your names down in this thread or send a PM to say you're in. Once I get to 5 entrants I will make a new thread with the rules for participating, voting and coloring. I haven't decided on any definite rules yet, so don't ask them yet, but if you want an idea you can always go to the thread on the old forum.

Hope you all enjoy it.
Kibate

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

okay okay, fine, i'm in
will be some nice break from my other art(have to draw stuff for my job, for an uni i want to go to, my webcomic, my fanarts, my normal artworks...damn, need more than 24hours a day *sigh*)
reificationIstehWin!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 4:49 pm    Post subject: Issues in the previous contest Reply with quote

Yay, the coloring contest gains momentum!

I also resurrected the old thread should it interest somebody. At some point the coloring contest had some issues about structure of voting. (It was done with the poll thread/function) Allegations flew, cheating was suspected. I can't remember if there were especially concerned sinfesters who felt this was a 'major' problem since, at the time, Tat was apparently giving out autographed comic books.

In a nutshell, the argument was as follows:

1) The voting system isn't foolproof
2) The winner gets Tat's autographed Sinfest -book
3) This induces cheating in voting
4) Some: I don't totally approve how the voting system works here

Then a riposte was made by public voting, parried by alter-ego-doublepost-cheaters.

To and fro, until it was suggested that you should just drop the prizes which was understood as the major cause for possible cheating.

Now, in hopes of avoiding this again, small suggestions from a dedicated lurker. I don't know if the prizes were a major motivator for people to post entries but according to my spidey-sense, there are enough creative vibes going around that people will participate even if the winner doesn't get any material compensation. (Then again, if I understand correctly, Bohdi got the books from Tat and it could well be that, at the moment, there isn't anything to give out)

So.

1) If prizes exist and the whole voting/cheating thing issue seems to raise it's confrontational head, drop the prizes if people feel it removes the problem.

2) I never had any problem voting publicly. (Bohdi came with some rules what was considered as a feasible identity. Can't remember those though) Anyway, I believe showing your colors will probably deter possible cheating so if need be, I'm all for it.

3) All of this was totally uncalled for since nobody even remembered to think about this in the first place. This only muddles things. --> In which case, make a personal memory wipe concerning this post *ZAP*

...This truly is an excellent move, I salute you sirs.
DiCola

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yay, count me in.

The no-prizes-for-you-suckas! -approach is in my opinion the best, because this contest thing is after all just one type of activity for Sinfest forumers. It isn't THE Official Sinfest Colouring Contest, which would require grand prizes and all.

Let's keep the stakes low, so that those prize-hungry low moralers and wannabewinners stay kindly off, hopefully.
MsFrisby

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I enjoyed coloring strips. I will likely do so again if we have a contest going once more. I don't care about prizes, although kudos are nice.
Azrael

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would there be any guidelines about how the colouring was achieved? For example, I suck with colouring in Photoshop (or whatever it is you crazy kids use these days) but I'm quite able to use coloured pencils to achieve my desired effects, would that be allowed?
Michael

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd participate but it'd suck
I'll be happy to vote though Smile
mouse

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Michael wrote:

that pretty much describes my participation.

and azrael - i think in the past people have used different methods. as long as the final product ends up as something you can post here, i think that's all that matters.

i think it might be quite interesting to see what happens when people use different media -
Azrael

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mouse wrote:
Michael wrote:

that pretty much describes my participation.

and azrael - i think in the past people have used different methods. as long as the final product ends up as something you can post here, i think that's all that matters.

i think it might be quite interesting to see what happens when people use different media -

Thanks Mouse, I didn't want to get yelled at for submitting the in the 'medium' like I have been in the past for asking other 'n00b' questions.
Yeah, I'll ditto your ditto about Michael's participating but being crappy while I'm here.
Snorri

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just give an award for the person with the best strip.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Sinfest All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: