Sinfest Forum Index Sinfest
welcome to the fest
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

I Love You - 2/28/07
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Sinfest
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Lasairfiona



Joined: 09 Jul 2006
Posts: 9702
Location: I have to be somewhere? ::runs around frantically::

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you think that the guy professing his love for you has only taken into account his caricature of you(generic hot, sweet, good, etc), then you might say something like this. I prefer to blow them off completely.
_________________
Before God created Las he pondered on all the aspects a woman might have, he considered which ones would look good super-inflated and which ones to leave alone.
After much deliberation he gave her a giant comfort zone. - Michael
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mrparn



Joined: 21 Feb 2007
Posts: 9
Location: Brasilia-DF / Brazil

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mahjqa wrote:
Oooooohkay. Can anyone translate 'Nique for me? Apparently, I don't speak Girl.

Or, maybe I do get it, but I am completely baffled why this would be an appropriate or sensible thing to say. I'd be as confused as Slick.

I'm not that fluent in Girl, but I think she meant:

'Nique wrote:
Sorry, but I don't like you in the same way.

There are countless variations, but Monique's is especially effective because you'll probably lose the will to reply after hearing it.

At least, that's the theory.

Edit: I think Lasairfiona's explanation is more plausible than mine. =) Could it be possible to combine both? =]
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Lasairfiona



Joined: 09 Jul 2006
Posts: 9702
Location: I have to be somewhere? ::runs around frantically::

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is also used when the girl doesn't like you "that way" but I have never used it as such. Actually I have never used the line at all. I have thought it though.

I think I should be more bitchy about turning guys down. Every time I am nice about it, they stalk me.
Confused
_________________
Before God created Las he pondered on all the aspects a woman might have, he considered which ones would look good super-inflated and which ones to leave alone.
After much deliberation he gave her a giant comfort zone. - Michael
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mrparn



Joined: 21 Feb 2007
Posts: 9
Location: Brasilia-DF / Brazil

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those guys were not gentlemen. I would never, ever stalk someone who turned me down. Not that I consider myself a gentleman, but I can try. Of course, this means I'm screwed if the girl in question actually wants me to keep trying. =P

In these matters, I think the best is to be very clear about what you feel and what you think. Although it may be painful, misunderstandings can lead to much more painful stuff.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Spanky



Joined: 09 Jul 2006
Posts: 842
Location: Rockville, MD

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Monique is obviously alluding to platonic realism.
Duuhhhhhh
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
bun bun
Guest





PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with the colouring master noob. It looks to me as though a really interesting take on this strip is that Slick is thinking it through in his head, and Monique's response is therefore doublesided and extremely clever. Dunno for sure what Tat intended, though. Could very well be that Slick ACTUALLY told her, but...I think it's more clever to assume he didn't, just thought about it.
Back to top
Lasairfiona



Joined: 09 Jul 2006
Posts: 9702
Location: I have to be somewhere? ::runs around frantically::

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrparn wrote:
Those guys were not gentlemen. I would never, ever stalk someone who turned me down. Not that I consider myself a gentleman, but I can try. Of course, this means I'm screwed if the girl in question actually wants me to keep trying. =P

In these matters, I think the best is to be very clear about what you feel and what you think. Although it may be painful, misunderstandings can lead to much more painful stuff.

You would think that turning a guy down repeatedly would be a clue to the "just friends" catagory. I guess I just wasn't being clear enough. A 2x4 is clear, right?

And no, it wasn't gentlemen like. It was, however, very stupid. He followed me to work for three weeks. I would just sit there and ignore him because I had other things to do (sinfest... oh and work). I guess I should have just told him to go away.

_________________
Before God created Las he pondered on all the aspects a woman might have, he considered which ones would look good super-inflated and which ones to leave alone.
After much deliberation he gave her a giant comfort zone. - Michael
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
PinkSpider43



Joined: 16 Oct 2006
Posts: 1800
Location: Connecticut

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lasairfiona wrote:

You would think that turning a guy down repeatedly would be a clue to the "just friends" catagory. I guess I just wasn't being clear enough. A 2x4 is clear, right?

And no, it wasn't gentlemen like. It was, however, very stupid. He followed me to work for three weeks. I would just sit there and ignore him because I had other things to do (sinfest... oh and work). I guess I should have just told him to go away.
There are a ton of movies and TV shows and such where a girl will start out hating a guy's guts and then end up falling for him anyway, and this gives many guys the unrealistic impression that even if you say no, if they stick with it that no may turn to a yes. ESPECIALLY if you're nice about the no. Then they'll think they have some chance, because, you MUST like them or you wouldn't have been so nice about it. You have to be firm, and let them know that there's no way in hell it's ever gonna happen.
I kinda feel pity for those guys though, it's kinda sad, trying so hard when the girl just doesn't like you.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
bun bun
Guest





PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PinkSpider43 wrote:
Lasairfiona wrote:

You would think that turning a guy down repeatedly would be a clue to the "just friends" catagory. I guess I just wasn't being clear enough. A 2x4 is clear, right?

And no, it wasn't gentlemen like. It was, however, very stupid. He followed me to work for three weeks. I would just sit there and ignore him because I had other things to do (sinfest... oh and work). I guess I should have just told him to go away.
There are a ton of movies and TV shows and such where a girl will start out hating a guy's guts and then end up falling for him anyway, and this gives many guys the unrealistic impression that even if you say no, if they stick with it that no may turn to a yes. ESPECIALLY if you're nice about the no. Then they'll think they have some chance, because, you MUST like them or you wouldn't have been so nice about it. You have to be firm, and let them know that there's no way in hell it's ever gonna happen.
I kinda feel pity for those guys though, it's kinda sad, trying so hard when the girl just doesn't like you.

Agreed...

Also, wtf with God's word coming into things? Would the person who first mentioned God's word in this context please explain it to me?
Back to top
Lasairfiona



Joined: 09 Jul 2006
Posts: 9702
Location: I have to be somewhere? ::runs around frantically::

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PinkSpider43 wrote:
There are a ton of movies and TV shows and such where a girl will start out hating a guy's guts and then end up falling for him anyway, and this gives many guys the unrealistic impression that even if you say no, if they stick with it that no may turn to a yes. ESPECIALLY if you're nice about the no. Then they'll think they have some chance, because, you MUST like them or you wouldn't have been so nice about it. You have to be firm, and let them know that there's no way in hell it's ever gonna happen.
I kinda feel pity for those guys though, it's kinda sad, trying so hard when the girl just doesn't like you.

The real problem is that I didn't care enough about him to give a firm no. He was boring and puppy like in a pathetic way.

I ended up having my guy come over and kiss me. That worked. I would have respected the puppy if he had stuck around to talk to me instead of staring longingly at me for hours even if I didn't like him "that way".

God's word?

_________________
Before God created Las he pondered on all the aspects a woman might have, he considered which ones would look good super-inflated and which ones to leave alone.
After much deliberation he gave her a giant comfort zone. - Michael
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
bun bun
Guest





PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zeku wrote:
Just a brief relapse here.

There is nothing that human beings enjoy more than to feel sorry for themselves. This is seen most clearly in fiction like Romeo and Juliet, or "Titanic." (even though I have never actually seen this movie, its fairly obvious what its about)

These works of extreme fiction highlight the fact that people would rather whine than just fix their problem. The whining and self-pitying places them at the center of attention, and removes personal responsibility.

Nowhere is this most revolting than in the case of love or intense emotional desire. Slick's correct response to a situation like this is to steel himself emotionally, knowing that easy victories are less satisfying. He should say something along the lines of "I'm right and you're wrong. I truly do love you, or I will learn to do it as quickly as I am able."

You might think it's more loving, gentle, considerate, whatever, to go along with what the female is saying, but in reality, she wants confidence. She wants something to believe in. She wants something that won't give up or waver.

The critical distinction between what I'm describing and 'creepy obsession' is that the person I'm describing really does have the other person's best interests in mind, is willing to wait extremely patiently for them to make the right decision, and (if you are mature enough to accept this) is founded strongly in the truth of God's word.

Refer back to the 'creep' strip to see what kinds of behaviour will not function alongside this more realistic outlook.
Back to top
Lasairfiona



Joined: 09 Jul 2006
Posts: 9702
Location: I have to be somewhere? ::runs around frantically::

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It bothers me to realize that I still understand that crap. However, it doesn't mean that I don't recognize it for what it is: assuming the person who is doing the turning down doesn't know what "she" wants. She obviously should want the person asking. ::snorts:: I hate it when people assume stupidity. If the person is so stupid to not know what they want, why bother with them? Waiting around harboring unrequited love is just silly and I personally don't respect a person who does it.

I realize that some people believe that God has one person for them but rarely have I met someone who "knew" who it was and the relationship lasted. When you take the above situation into account, I have never found someone who was correct in their feeling that the person was "the one" God had choosen for them. It is more often than not it is an excuse to pseudo-stalk the girl.

_________________
Before God created Las he pondered on all the aspects a woman might have, he considered which ones would look good super-inflated and which ones to leave alone.
After much deliberation he gave her a giant comfort zone. - Michael
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Van



Joined: 19 Aug 2006
Posts: 124

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So if Monique means that he only loves the idealized fantasy concept of being with her I think she'd be wrong. He actually knows her well enough with her good and bad sides to still be attracted. He'd certainly be worth at least a date...poor fellow.

Not that I can talk for Iíve shot guys down in a similar fashion.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Darqcyde



Joined: 11 Jul 2006
Posts: 10067
Location: A false vacuum abiding in ignorance.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Van wrote:
So if Monique means that he only loves the idealized fantasy concept of being with her I think she'd be wrong. He actually knows her well enough with her good and bad sides to still be attracted. He'd certainly be worth at least a date...poor fellow.

Not that I can talk for Iíve shot guys down in a similar fashion.


I can't help but wonder if Tat ever got the line thrown at him.
_________________
...if a single leaf holds the eye, it will be as if the remaining leaves were not there.
http://12ozlb.blogspot.com Now in book form: http://amzn.to/14E6OFy
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
dazedb42



Joined: 09 Jul 2006
Posts: 2348
Location: Margaret River, Australia

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've used that line to talk myself out of getting involved with someone before. Do I care for this person really? No, just in love with the concept of being involved with this person. Pathetic really but this strip made me piss when I saw it. Totally recognized the punch line.
_________________
(_**_) *note to self, insert bottle at other end.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Sinfest All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group