Sinfest Forum Index Sinfest
welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

march 3 - he sees blah blah
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Spectre

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was a little surprised by this comic due to the fact that Monique has always seemed to love attention and have a somewhat narcissistic personality. I'm wondering if this means she's changing or just in "one of those moods" that will pass in time.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trustedfaith wrote:
bun bun wrote:
I love this comic. Up until the part where Monique gets all emo. The last panel could have been so much better...

I liked the whole strip. I think we're all allowed to be emo once in awhile; it's those who are emo all the time, and over the top with it that drive me nuts. I don't even think it's being emo if you're doing it once in awhile; I think it's just being human.

Yeah, but I'm a cold-hearted facsimile of a human being. British people don't have emotions.

I'm not emo! Really! Cross my heart and hope to cut myself with rusty razor blades! Honest!
TestTubeError

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmmm.

I don't care much for the new style. This comic was difficult to even focus on. It's too light, or something.
I'm No Celebrity

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's the gray, I think. It makes lines and shades kind of blur. But you'll notice this new style started after Slick told Monique everything was in shades of gray, and she told him she saw mostly colors. Now everything is in grays rather than black or white.

What does it all mean? The impenetrable mind of Tat is an enigma we shall have to wait for he alone to solve.
Teh Digital Dragon

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trustedfaith wrote:
Teh Digital Dragon wrote:
trustedfaith wrote:

It's interesting, she may very well be right in her assumptions about the guys she passes but by making these assumptions she's doing to them exactly what she think's they're doing to her. Not seeing them as people but as stereotypes. Who knows, maybe one of those guys really would have been open to seeing the real her, but because she wasn’t open to seeing the real them, she’ll never know.

That’s a lot of meaning for a little four panel web comic.

I don't know, to be honest, most women can tell the difference between being looked at as eye candy or just being looked at. If that makes sense. They're two very distinct looks men have.

Granted, I'm not trying to stereotype anyone, but from my own experience -- men make it obvious when they're enjoying you for eye candy.

She wasn't saying they were looking at her as eye candy, she was evaluating their specific emotional needs...

I'm not trying to say Monique is hypocritical here, I think it's the nature of humanity to need and not be able to give.

To me saying something like "a prop" for his ego, and a "lolita" to relive his youth sound very eye-candyish to me. But that's just me.

And the guy seeing a mommy to hold his hand?

Perhaps they're treating her as eye-candy, but assuming a pretty boy is looking for an ego-prop, a floppy-haired guy is looking for a mother figure and an older man is looking to relive his youth...is she not making broad assumptions based on physical appearance without really knowing these people?
I'm No Celebrity

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe it's blatant symbolism in the form of caricature. Perhaps we're meant to see these people as honestly holding those prejudices, and Monique being right. I wouldn't buy into it in real life, but in a comic strip, it could be the artist venting some ideas about how guys see women.
trustedfaith

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trustedfaith wrote:
trustedfaith wrote:

It's interesting, she may very well be right in her assumptions about the guys she passes but by making these assumptions she's doing to them exactly what she think's they're doing to her. Not seeing them as people but as stereotypes. Who knows, maybe one of those guys really would have been open to seeing the real her, but because she wasn’t open to seeing the real them, she’ll never know.

I don't know, to be honest, most women can tell the difference between being looked at as eye candy or just being looked at. If that makes sense. They're two very distinct looks men have.

Granted, I'm not trying to stereotype anyone, but from my own experience -- men make it obvious when they're enjoying you for eye candy.

She wasn't saying they were looking at her as eye candy, she was evaluating their specific emotional needs...

I'm not trying to say Monique is hypocritical here, I think it's the nature of humanity to need and not be able to give.

To me saying something like "a prop" for his ego, and a "lolita" to relive his youth sound very eye-candyish to me. But that's just me.

Perhaps they're treating her as eye-candy, but assuming a pretty boy is looking for an ego-prop, a floppy-haired guy is looking for a mother figure and an older man is looking to relive his youth...is she not making broad assumptions based on physical appearance without really knowing these people?

Just for shits and giggles. What do you do when you're looked at as eye candy? Because me, if I'm looked at like that -- I get creeped out and get to make any broad assumptions I want when their tongue is almost hanging out of their mouth. Haha.

I'm also doing the twitter thing; you should stalk/follow me: http://twitter.com/sillygurlroo
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Funkentelechy

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Because me, if I'm looked at like that -- I get creeped out and get to make any broad assumptions I want when their tongue is almost hanging out of their mouth. Haha.

as well you should, physical attraction is a disgusting and unnatural evil.
I'm No Celebrity

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh. Okay.

So, anytime we feel physical attraction, a genetically encoded reaction, it is unnatural and evil?

It may not be the noblest thing in the world, but it's a part of human nature. We can't help feeling physical attraction. Making choices and judgments on physical attraction, that's not so cool and I could back you up there. But the thing itself is no evil.
trustedfaith

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funkentelechy wrote:
Quote:
Because me, if I'm looked at like that -- I get creeped out and get to make any broad assumptions I want when their tongue is almost hanging out of their mouth. Haha.

as well you should, physical attraction is a disgusting and unnatural evil.

Woops my bad, I should totally feel comfortable with guys who are staring at me like they're looking at me naked. What was I thinking? Rolling Eyes

I'm also doing the twitter thing; you should stalk/follow me: http://twitter.com/sillygurlroo
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Spectre

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm No Celebrity wrote:
Oh. Okay.

So, anytime we feel physical attraction, a genetically encoded reaction, it is unnatural and evil?

It may not be the noblest thing in the world, but it's a part of human nature. We can't help feeling physical attraction. Making choices and judgments on physical attraction, that's not so cool and I could back you up there. But the thing itself is no evil.

I think it was sarcasm.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trustedfaith wrote:
trustedfaith wrote:
trustedfaith wrote:

Just for shits and giggles. What do you do when you're looked at as eye candy?

...uh...I don't get looked at as eye-candy.

trustedfaith wrote:

I'm not really saying Monique doesn't have a right to make these assumptions, everyone evaluates others in this way, I just think it's unfortunate.

And I still don't think eye-candy really covers what they want (or rather want she thinks they want). Monique's comments suggest she doesn't see them as just perving on her, but rather as having some emotional hole in their lives their conception of her would satisfy. There's a pretty big difference between "nice ass" and "that girl would fulfil my deep-seated psychological need for a mother figure".
I'm No Celebrity

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, it seems like she's reaching. A lot. But that may have been Tat's aim. The way they look kind of supports her snap judgments.
Coherent

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow Tatsuya, most of your readers are really young.

Anyway, Monique has a valid point, except she's missing the fact that at least they're looking. The eye-rays, they are coming her way, which she likes, except that they don't see what she wants them to see. The problem she's got is presentation. She needs to find out how to present herself so people see something that's more her, and less them.

But then, the problem is, first she needs to define herself. What makes Monique unique, as opposed to her normal Paris Hiltonian attention-seeking ways? What seperates her from everyone else like her?
I'm No Celebrity

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Her insight, for one. But how do you physically present your insight?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Sinfest All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: