Sinfest Forum Index Sinfest
welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

march 3 - he sees blah blah
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Teh Digital Dragon

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm No Celebrity wrote:
The way they look kind of supports her snap judgments.

And now you're doing exactly what she thought they were doing and was in turn doing herself.

Oh man, this strip is like a vortex of irony. If it gains any more levels it may very well collapse in on itself.
Spectre

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teh Digital Dragon wrote:

And I still don't think eye-candy really covers what they want (or rather want she thinks they want). Monique's comments suggest she doesn't see them as just perving on her, but rather as having some emotional hole in their lives their conception of her would satisfy. There's a pretty big difference between "nice ass" and "that girl would fulfil my deep-seated psychological need for a mother figure".

I remember in one strip it was winter and Monique was bundled up appropriately. She went out and was ignored by pretty much all the men who crossed her path. She promptly went in the house and changed to something less modest and froze not soon after she went outside. It was funny, but thats how she is. This strip seems to be a big contrast from that, and makes me wonder what she wouldve done this time if they ignored her.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like I said, he went deep with this one. There's lots and lots of interpretation available, including ones supporting that she is right. Personally, I feel there's no way of knowing.

And yes, the irony is thick.
Secret

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OKAY, THEY'RE ALL STUPID ASSHOLES.

INTERPRETATION OVER.
trustedfaith

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not really saying Monique doesn't have a right to make these assumptions, everyone evaluates others in this way, I just think it's unfortunate.

And I still don't think eye-candy really covers what they want (or rather want she thinks they want). Monique's comments suggest she doesn't see them as just perving on her, but rather as having some emotional hole in their lives their conception of her would satisfy. There's a pretty big difference between "nice ass" and "that girl would fulfil my deep-seated psychological need for a mother figure".

Right, but that's just one of the three guys. The other two are a bit more of the "nice ass, it'd look good as a trophy" and/or "nice ass I'd hit it." I don't know any girl who gets the attention of an old man that doesn't feel a bit creeped out by it. Again, that's just me and my experience though.

*shrug*

I'm also doing the twitter thing; you should stalk/follow me: http://twitter.com/sillygurlroo
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
I'm No Celebrity

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, old ladies never look at me. I'm thankful for that. Being a guy has its good points, one being that the female gaze is rarely a source of creeped-out discomfort.
Teh Digital Dragon

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trustedfaith wrote:
I'm not really saying Monique doesn't have a right to make these assumptions, everyone evaluates others in this way, I just think it's unfortunate.

Right, but that's just one of the three guys. The other two are a bit more of the "nice ass, it'd look good as a trophy" and/or "nice ass I'd hit it." I don't know any girl who gets the attention of an old man that doesn't feel a bit creeped out by it. Again, that's just me and my experience though.

I was using that guy because he's the clearest example, but assuming that guy 1 wants her only to satisfy his ego, or that just because guy 3 is older he think about her in terms of reliving his youth...these involve the same kind of assumptions about motivations which go beyond merely being creepy male gaze.
WhupAs101

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I reads the pictures with the words what make me smile and goes teehee.
the_thousandth

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the emo subculture has illegitamized honest, if melancholic, introspection and genuine depression. 's no good, methinks
bun bun

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the_thousandth wrote:
the emo subculture has illegitamized honest, if melancholic, introspection and genuine depression. 's no good, methinks

I would say thank christ for that. People aren't stoic enough.
PinkSpider43

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the_thousandth wrote:
No, no, there's no problem with being meloncholy, depressed and introverted.

Emo is just when you shout out "HEY, GUESS WHAT?! I'M DEPRESSED!" all the time.

I think it's better that that kind of behavior is ostracized.
Sam the Eagle

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PinkSpider43 wrote:
the_thousandth wrote:

It's the flip side of vanity, happens in any teen. And in more grown-up one'd like to admit.

And, for the record, it was a litterary genre in the late 18th century, Old way Emo.
I'm No Celebrity

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure it entirely qualifies, but I can see the link. There's some really cool stuff in romanticism, though. Not very modern-emo.
Willem

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PinkSpider43 wrote:
the_thousandth wrote:

Actually, he's right. People do tend to call you emo if you are being melancholic or depressed.

I've been called emo several times, when I act a bit melancholic or depressed. Or when I got a new haircut. _

Emo is yelling that you're depressed, but other people do get called emo for melancholic introspection and being depressed.
PinkSpider43

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Willem wrote:

Actually, he's right. People do tend to call you emo if you are being melancholic or depressed.

I've been called emo several times, when I act a bit melancholic or depressed. Or when I got a new haircut. _

Emo is yelling that you're depressed, but other people do get called emo for melancholic introspection and being depressed.
Well, yes, there is always that. And there's always the "hur hur I'm so emo!" people, but I've found most people won't call you "emo" when you act depressed unless they think you're whining. In which case, they're using it as an insult which is kind've the definition anyways.

Of course, there are some people who think acting depressed at all is whining, so I do admit it's a very subjective point.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Sinfest All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: