welcome to the fest
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

11/6 Aged
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Sinfest
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Lasairfiona



Joined: 09 Jul 2006
Posts: 9702
Location: I have to be somewhere? ::runs around frantically::

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, I was quoting Proverbs 17.
Quote:
17:28 Even a fool, when he holdeth his peace, is counted wise: and he that shutteth his lips is esteemed a man of understanding.

_________________
Before God created Las he pondered on all the aspects a woman might have, he considered which ones would look good super-inflated and which ones to leave alone.
After much deliberation he gave her a giant comfort zone. - Michael
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Zeku



Joined: 17 Jul 2006
Posts: 117

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What the fictional character sherlock said was, "Once you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be true."

That silly assumption is what I consider to be the foundation of all human error: it implies that all information is 'known,' and completely ignores the possibility that there are unknowns which completely obviate all existing logic and information.

Do we just throw up our hands then, because we can't possibly know the truth? No, we indulge in humility.

Humility starts with "I am wrong." Any human endeavour that does not start with this phrase is doomed.



Edit: I'll throw you a bone here: The 'different' type of evil that required those ancient civilizations to be destroyed was intercourse with celestial beings, ie fallen angels. These are the 'giants' of greek mythology, goliath, etc. This is why the flood was required, and why genocide was required against the canaanites. These partial-humans threatened to destroy (not militarily, but genetically) the bloodline through which Christ was prophecied to be born.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Major Tom



Joined: 09 Jul 2006
Posts: 7562

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zeku wrote:
Humility starts with "I am wrong." Any human endeavour that does not start with this phrase is doomed.


this seems to imply some knowledge of these unknowns you mentioned.

sounds like arrogance to me.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
rm



Joined: 25 Jul 2006
Posts: 4073

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zeku wrote:
Any human endeavour that does not start with this phrase ["I am wrong"] is doomed.


that's the biggest load of horse crap I've ever read.
_________________
...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Zeku



Joined: 17 Jul 2006
Posts: 117

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That simple phrase, (I am wrong, and God is right) is the foundation stone of all knowledge, and the doorway to God himself.

I realize that's just a bunch of nonsense to you, of course. But I just think it's interesting to watch someone walk up to the door, run their hand over it, and then turn away.

You'll go through when it's your turn, and hopefully not drop-kicked.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
WheelsOfConfusion



Joined: 09 Jul 2006
Posts: 12249
Location: Unknown Kaddath

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zeku wrote:
That simple phrase, (I am wrong, and God is right) is the foundation stone of all knowledge, and the doorway to God himself.

You are wrong.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
MsFrisby



Joined: 09 Jul 2006
Posts: 3966
Location: a quiet little corner of crazy

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zeku, you sound like a great big racist using the bible to cover up and justify your feelings about bloodlines.
_________________
A person's character is their destiny.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Flion



Joined: 09 Jul 2006
Posts: 589
Location: Don't look up! (Damn pigeons...)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What rm said.

Quote:
it implies that all information is 'known,' and completely ignores the possibility that there are unknowns which completely obviate all existing logic and information.

It implies no such thing. In the fictional Holmes case, it only implies that relevant factors have been eliminated to reduce the solution set. Being fictional, these 'cases' were abstracted in the first place to suit the stories but the technique works well in the real world. It implies that facts can be graded regarding their relevance. In fiction, where the world is abstracted, there are no unknowns. In the real world, it is reduction of hypothoses; we can eliminate possibilities but we cannot ignore our own ignorance of scope. Does this mean that logic and reasoning are useless? Of course not! Newton made some fine observations of properties of motion but didn't have all the facts; still his laws are useful working approximations today, when even Einstein's refinement of those laws is being itself refined.

Quote:
Humility starts with "I am wrong." Any human endeavour that does not start with this phrase is doomed.

That's not humility, that's passive-aggressive. "God, I'm ignorant so if I fail it's Your fault and if I succeed it's because of You so please don't let me screw up." A jewish mom couldn't lay it on better. Instead, the rational man judges his endeavors: This one is easy because I have enough skill/information to tackle it, but this one is more difficult because I need to acquire more skill/info, and this one I may not complete because I may never get all the skill/info I need but I can try because my failure may inform a future success. Knowing where your knowledge set fails and striving to improve - that's humility.

re: your 'bone' - it doesn't have any calcium in it. There is no evidence of the cross-breeding you suggest (and are you suggesting that it would have stopped in the centuries since the last biblical 'purge'? If so, how and why?) and even assuming it existed it has not been shown to be 'evil'. In other mythologies, these demi-gods were called 'heros'. You're making assumptions that are not borne out by facts.
_________________
Halen wrote:
The reason that "people actually see the points people make" = "people agree with me" is because I. Am. Right!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Snorri



Joined: 09 Jul 2006
Posts: 10878
Location: hiding the decline.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zeku wrote:

Humility starts with "I am wrong." Any human endeavour that does not start with this phrase is doomed.

Hey dude, how do we build this church?

Uhm, I would suggest building these arches over there, so as to divide the weight equally.

But dude, remember what God says:"I am wrong. Any human endeavour that does not start with this phrase is doomed."

Ok, than we better not build anything at all.
_________________

Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mouse



Joined: 10 Jul 2006
Posts: 17275
Location: under the bed

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i was going to try to put up some logical argument against the existance of these demigods, but really, what's the point? it's like trying to discuss the role of elves in mythology with someone who has memorized the lord of the rings, and read nothing else.
_________________
aka: neverscared!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
kame



Joined: 11 Jul 2006
Posts: 2565
Location: Alba Nuadh

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's up to zeku to actually prove the existence of these giants and demi-gods. But since zeku puts no stock in repeatable, testable hypothesis or existing evidence, then it really is pointless.

If you're a troll, hats off to you, if you really believe in what you say, then I weep for the gene pool.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger
WheelsOfConfusion



Joined: 09 Jul 2006
Posts: 12249
Location: Unknown Kaddath

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zeku's beliefs about the Nephilim are far less interesting than his take on humility and knowledge!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
The Victim Here



Joined: 09 Jul 2006
Posts: 2813
Location: Almost Not Trinity.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LEEEEEEEEPRECHAUNS!
_________________
Colours? What colours?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
rm



Joined: 25 Jul 2006
Posts: 4073

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

for the sake of argument I'll say that humility starts with gratitude.
_________________
...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Flion



Joined: 09 Jul 2006
Posts: 589
Location: Don't look up! (Damn pigeons...)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll thank you to explain your reasoning. Wink
_________________
Halen wrote:
The reason that "people actually see the points people make" = "people agree with me" is because I. Am. Right!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Sinfest All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Page 3 of 14

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group