welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Questions and Answers
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 684, 685, 686 ... 753, 754, 755  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dogen

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never use two condoms. It increases the likelihood of both breaking. The best way not to end up with a half-crazy baby is not to put your penis in a crazy person. Plus, having sex before marriage makes the baby Jesus cry, and his dad is a vindictive douche.

Oneponytoruleall wrote:
Or save yourself some mental anguish and pay a prostitute instead of being a cheap prick.

There's nothing wrong with casual sex as long as she's in on the plan.
trustedfaith

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dogen wrote:
Never use two condoms. It increases the likelihood of both breaking.

Orrrrrr..... don't take Jen's joke as correct and factual safe sex advice. Either or. Love you Russ! Wink
Halen

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woo! I have a job interview. This is fucking awesome news, and I am very excited.

Except I am doing movember. This is awkward timing. So do I go to my job interview with a tragic moustache, or do I betray my principles and the little money I've already raised in order to appear anywhere near professional?
Mizike

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could mention it when they ask you to talk about yourself. There's always a question that is more about you as a person and less about you as a worker. Talk about your principles and how you're currently participating in Movember all casual like it's no big deal.
DeD CHiKn

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could anyone explain to me why gas stations, at least around here, are charging excessive amounts of extra money if you use a credit card?

The gas station by my house this morning was 3.39 for regular, unless you use a card than it's 3.51. There's another literally less than a mile away that's a quarter difference.

The only explanation people can give is that it costs the company money to process a card. Which is true, but if that's the reasoning why doesn't every store charge more if you use a card?
trustedfaith

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DeD CHiKn wrote:
Could anyone explain to me why gas stations, at least around here, are charging excessive amounts of extra money if you use a credit card?

The gas station by my house this morning was 3.39 for regular, unless you use a card than it's 3.51. There's another literally less than a mile away that's a quarter difference.

The only explanation people can give is that it costs the company money to process a card. Which is true, but if that's the reasoning why doesn't every store charge more if you use a card?

They do it here in Detroit as well. The reason being, the credit card companies charge a percentage fee each time any card is swiped. Depending on what deal you have with the credit card companies it can be 1% to like 3% every time they have a credit card sale.

This is how Visa and co. make their money. So if you were the gas station, which would you rather people did? Buy gas with cash and keep your normal gross profit or have them buy it with a credit card and lose a chunk of it to the credit card companies?

It's also why you see places tell you that there is a minimum amount to be able to use a credit card for a purchase. They would rather you use your credit card the least amount possible because they lose profits to the credit card companies' percentage per swipe.

It's a way to deter people from using their credit card. This is due to all the debit cards now. Years ago, when debit cards didn't exist, they didn't have this type of issue because people had to use actual credit cards. There wasn't as many people doing this obviously. So there wasn't as many swipes. But people use their debit cards way more now and companies are losing money on their profits each time they do.

I know that I read about some people taking these gas companies to court saying you can't charge two different prices for the same product. But I think they lost because the gas companies could say they were just giving an incentive for people to pay cash. As technically, anyone can get the lower cost -- as long as they pay with cash. Not sure what happened with it though.

Does that help you or did I confuse you more?
DeD CHiKn

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's the explanation I got already, doesn't make sense that ONLY gas stations charge extra for it.
trustedfaith

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DeD CHiKn wrote:
That's the explanation I got already, doesn't make sense that ONLY gas stations charge extra for it.

Ok... I'll go a little further on this.

A) Surprisingly enough there isn't a lot of markup on gas, so in order to keep what little markup they have they'd rather you pay cash.

B) Not to mention people buy gas all the time as opposed to how often they go out and buy shoes or a sweater. So there is more swiping done at gas stations than say the shoe store down the street.

Does that help?
Kitten

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DeD CHiKn wrote:

This is only a hunch, but is this gas station not one of the main brand name ones (e.g. Shell, Mobile, etc.)? If it isn't, which is usually the case when I see notes about extra credit card charges in CA, it's most likely because these smaller stations don't get as much profit and so they need to cut their losses with these credit card fees that they have to pay to the bigger companies, whereas Shell and Mobile's company expands across the nation so they don't need to pinch all their profits from their customers.

Also, you can see this happen with family owned restaurants. They're more likely to cut losses in profits by charging their customers a fee for using a credit card to pay, whereas the chain restaurants don't do this, generally.
DeD CHiKn

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kitten wrote:
This is only a hunch, but is this gas station not one of the main brand name ones (e.g. Shell, Mobile, etc.)?

It's an increasing trend, I can't find one that doesn't do this. And now it seems to be an issue of how high they can push the charge. It started at 2 cents extra, now it's up to a quarter in little more than a year.
Kitten

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Huh. Sounds like maybe your state is doing something to the crude oil prices...?
DeD CHiKn

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

or cash is easier to pocket than a credit card with a paper trail.
Kitten

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sounds shady.

sometimes i wish public transportation wasn't such a hassle.
DeD CHiKn

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could ride a bike to work.

I'd need to buy a new bike everyday though.
Kitten

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just walk to work.

and then walk back home once you get to work cause i'd imagine it'd take that long, and you can't buy new legs anyway!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Casual Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 684, 685, 686 ... 753, 754, 755  Next
Page 685 of 755

Jump to: