welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Questions and Answers
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 688, 689, 690 ... 753, 754, 755  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kitten

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you're really concerned, then being honest to them about how worried you are would be a good start.
eureka00

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lasairfiona wrote:
Usagi makes me giggle.

Sooooooo I was talking about my bipolar disorder with my boyfriend. He seems to be of the opinion that now that my mind has been medicated, it knows what not being broken feels like and can hold on to that. So, if I miss my medication for a couple days I should still be able to function (much of this is what I heard - his main point is that I rely too much on the drugs). I think of the bipolar disorder more of a physical ailment with mental symptoms -no medication and my brain melts down: lack of focus, verbal filters shot to hell, depression, mania, etc. I find it insulting that he even approaches the idea that this could all be in my head (the discussion started when I talked about a former friend that asked me if I had even considered praying away the bipolar disorder).

My question is this - he isn't advocating that I get off the medication (not at all in fact) so should I really care if he is mildly insulting with the whole medication thing? I'm leaning toward no since he has always made sure that I get my medicine on time and reordered as necessary. I guess I am just concerned that if I am ever off the medication (for trying to get pregnant or something) that this will become a problem.

When you are off the medication he may realize why you need it. Mental health is serious business. I think it's great if you are able to cope without drugs, but a lot of people just can't and shouldn't be criticized for it.
Lasairfiona

Location: I have to be somewhere? ::runs around frantically::

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it is a weird "the brain can do anything" mentality as well as a admonition to not give in to the depression (which is decent advice but I am just not always capable of it, even with medication). Which is odd because I think he is mildly depressed often and can't seem to fight it to his own standards as stated in the discussion. Eh, I have kinda decided that as long as he isn't advocating that I try life without the medication, I am probably over worrying about a lapse in my medication. I should wait until the issue comes up rather than haranguing him about something that _might_ happen.
trustedfaith

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 1:03 am    Post subject: Re: srsly, avoid the Paxil, the withdrawal zaps suck Reply with quote

sporko wrote:
just a quick comment on this--it's always better to keep open communications with your healthcare provider. if you're wondering about malady X and you bring it up, your physician can either pursue it with you or explain why they don't think that it fits your situation. if you don't bring it up, they will puzzle it out on their own which may take longer and may feel you are trying to manipulate them into a diagnosis. i have seen a ton of people have a diagnosis in mind but be unwilling to suggest it for whatever reason, and these are people that we're suspicious of because they are usually trying to get meds prescribed without trying to look suspicious. so in this situation, especially since ADD meds are so high-risk for abuse, i would bring it up to your physician. some docs will still prescribe adderall/ritalin but a lot of them will refer you to a psychiatrist for testing in order to verify the diagnosis anyway.

I get what you're saying. I honestly just wanted to not influence her decision. She actually went to a neurologist and psychiatrist to discuss it and I went to a psychologist. Her and I compared their notes and the psychologist and psychiatrist said they think I have ADD and it's manifesting now (or manifesting worse) because of my quitting smoking.

My doctor prescribed me some ADD meds, low dose, to see how my body will react to them. I was worried they would make me all jittery and make my heart race. They don't at all. I notice that it quiets down my head a lot in the first hour or two but then it fades off. So we'll see, I'm on a trial run. So far I notice a slight (good) difference. I do notice a side effect that I seem to get colder easier. I never had an internal furnace anyway, so this just seems to make it slightly worse. But this is just day one of this. So maybe that'll go away.

Thanks for everyone's help! You guys have been so great! Smile
Usagi Miyamoto

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't recall feeling colder as a result of taking any of the ADD drugs, though I might not notice, polar bear that I am.

The most common side-effect I've noticed with both Ritalin and Adderall-type drugs has been a loss of appetite for the first few hours after taking them. Despite the appetite effect, I've never lost much weight, because the usual effect is, I'm hungrier than usual in the evening when the drug has worn off. In kids, it can be an issue that leads to growth problems, but presumably you've done all the growing you're going to. So, my first bit of advice is to really eat a good breakfast in the morning, something with quality proteins and fat and not a lot of simple carbs, so it takes a while to digest and keeps your energy levels up when you forget to stop for lunch, which you might. Eggs and bacon, a protein-boosted fruit smoothie, apples with peanut butter, those are all good. Cap'n Crunch, not so much.

The second thing is, when you have ADD, forgetting that you've already taken your pill for the day can be a real issue. I definitely recommend pill minders! It was less of a big deal with Ritalin, which never had much effect on me at any dose, but I have really needed the pill minders with Adderall XR and Vyvanse, because if I accidentally take one of those twice in the morning, I feel terrible: wired, restless, and jittery, and the effect doesn't wear off for hours. You don't have to experience that twice to know you want to prevent it happening again.

And finally, pay attention to your sleep habits. It might be harder to feel like going to bed when you're taking these drugs, but your body still needs sleep. Going to bed can be another one of those things that's easy to ignore when there's still stuff to do, just like eating is easy to ignore earlier in the day. Sleep! Man, I need to take my own advice. Best of luck to you - it's sounding like it's going okay so far, so I hope that continues.
Oneponytoruleall

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nevermind

Last edited by Oneponytoruleall on Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
WheelsOfConfusion

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Already happened once.
Arc Tempest

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Twice, I think.
Oneponytoruleall

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So the answer is I don't give a shit.
Halen

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh man we would be SO upset. I personally would cry and cry and cry until I vomited.
Snorri

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Given that I rarely look for old posts or threads by anyone, how would I notice?

Dennis J. Squidbunny

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

also, things you've said in the past indicate you are not a teenager so why would you make a post like one?
Dennis J. Squidbunny

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am such a jerk sometimes!
Mr Gary

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would totally miss you, whoever you were.

Nah, I'm shitting you. I think you are a cool (insert gender here).

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are there any 'Festers in or around Carson City, NV?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Casual Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 688, 689, 690 ... 753, 754, 755  Next
Page 689 of 755

Jump to: