welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Questions and Answers
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 692, 693, 694 ... 753, 754, 755  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
trustedfaith

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Halen wrote:
Parents and police. Do the right thing.

Spoken like a parent. Wink

If you really think it's a serious threat or he has the means to do so, then yes, parents and police. If you think he's drunk and stupid and trying to show off to his friends, then it's up to you if you want to let it go. I'd have him banned for life from the pub though. If you can get a picture put it up as persona non grata. When he does get old enough to get in, he can't. Smile
fritterdonut

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As said by other posters, go to the police or his parents.

Assaulting a minor is a whole pork barrel of bad things as far as criminal charges goes. I highly suggest not throwing away your life and your money with jail sentences and/or lawsuits.

What a horrid little monster of a person. Sooner or later he's going to end up with a broken nose or worse when he pisses someone off who isn't as level-headed as Gary.
It read 'Welcome to The End'
Dogen

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the idea of posting his picture. Maybe with the caption "banned for threatening to rape women." Not sure that's entirely legal (probably not) or wise... but the visceral response is to punish him.

I'd call the police for two reasons:
1. I think having the police show up to question him about his rape threats, hopefully in front of his mates or parents, would be pretty embarrassing.
2. In the event he's not joking, or does something awful in the future, there will be a paper trail showing he's done this sort of thing before. That might limit his ability to play off raping someone as a misunderstanding.

That said, this assumes you have enough info for the coppers to find him and it rates high enough for them to even bother taking a statement.
Mini J

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone have a website or resource they especially trust online when it comes to reviews? In this case, specifically reviews of LED TVs. We are looking to buy a new one within the next 2-3 weeks, and it's hard to know how reputable various review sites are.

If anyone has any good sites, or any particular TV they like especially, please let me know. Thanks!
Samsally

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just read reviews on amazon... look for trends, like if something breaks in the same way a lot or gets continually bad reviews over a specific feature, that is a bad sign. You'll want to disregard the crazier reviews, or the ones from people that are blaming the product for obvious user error. It's usually easy to tell which reviewers are competent though and it doesn't hurt to compare to actual review sites (again, lookin' for trends). I just google search 'em, though, I really don't know much about the review sites themselves.
Mr Gary

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll speak to the police on Boxing Day. It's not my preferred response. But it is the most sensible & safe.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, look -- if the police come down on him too hard it could snap him in totally the wrong direction. If they come down on him in a way that is embarassing but not public and his parents have the shits with him it will probably get him to take it on board.

I say photo but not public. Spread it around all the local bars/pubs/etc that you have contacts at. Get the fucker 86'd everywhere, as well as a life ban at your pub.

I remember all the fucking drunken tools who got bumrushed and banned out The Phoenix over the ten years I drank there, it was the fastest way to turn the baddest man into the saddest man in the world.

Also, well done you for getting between the douche and Two Pints and not throwing any punches.
Mr Gary

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have a thing in the UK called Pubwatch. It's locally run, like a neighbourhood watch thing. Between that and his TOTALLY OPEN FB profile I can do that.

I put a word out about him and found out his Dad is bad bad people which tbh soft as it sounds has been my only deterrent from making it This Time It's Personal. Not that I much fancied the police knocking me up, but there were always ways around that

Thanks Denno, good suggestion/reminder.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mini J wrote:
Does anyone have a website or resource they especially trust online when it comes to reviews? In this case, specifically reviews of LED TVs. We are looking to buy a new one within the next 2-3 weeks, and it's hard to know how reputable various review sites are.

If anyone has any good sites, or any particular TV they like especially, please let me know. Thanks!

I don't trust any sites not to be influenced by a free TV or whatever, so I just read a lot of customer reviews. Amazon, Best Buy, Newegg, Future Shop, etc. Like Samsally said, I look for trends. Sometimes the biggest complaints are dumb, sometimes they're "four blown pixels and the replacement policy is six," or whatever that might be pertinent.

P.S. I haven't bought one in ages, but when I was shopping we ended up with a Samsung, and I still like it.
Usagi Miyamoto

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mini J wrote:

I just bought a new TV three weeks ago. This Samsung PN60E6500 plasma, as a matter of fact. I was initially looking at LCD panels with LED backlights, but the data on the plasmas, and the fact that reviewers almost universally put them ahead of LCDs for image quality, finally won me over. The fact that TVs with otherwise identical processors and software were slightly cheaper in plasma form didn't hurt, either. The TV is in a downstairs family room that only gets sun in the early morning, so picture brightness wasn't an issue for me.

I found several credible sources of reviews. There's a kind of meta-review site I like, called Consumer Search, which does a round-up of other review sites and makes a few calls for the best in various categories.

The sites they trust include CNet, which rates a lot of TV sets. My main gripe about the CNet site is that they don't age things off their review lists as much as they should. You'll only see the last couple of years' worth of models for sale, and you don't care what the top rated TV from 2009 is anymore.

Then there's www.televisioninfo.com which I found to be very valuable for telling me things like which panels are in which models, so I could see what the real differences are between the various lines a particular manufacturer makes, and whether that difference matters to me. This site was very useful in making my decision.

I also looked at Consumer Reports' web site, which runs about $20 a year (dunno what it costs in Canada, but probably similar if you feel like you might buy enough stuff needing reviews to make it worth while). They are often a little behind the curve on the latest models, but they do have fairly comprehensive numbers on things.

The reviews on Amazon are good for the user experience, especially things like getting a TV set up, or getting customer service, but they aren't that good for comparing, say, image quality. Sometimes things get slammed because some purchasers are prone to pilot error, when the product is otherwise fine. On the other hand, you'll see red flags here that the professional reviewers don't tell you, about endless firmware updates, bricked HDCP links, and phone support hell, that are a clue you should stay away.

I was looking for a reasonable quality of set, but not the bleeding edge. The model of Samsung I got, for instance, has the same high-end panel as the two model lines above it, but has a single-core processor rather than a dual-core, and is 6cm thick instead of 4.5. I don't care about 3D, but all the 3D TVs have very capable processors, which I do care about. It also has wi-fi built in, which is awesome. It turns out, I don't have an antenna or a cable connection on this TV, and I don't need one, because the TV can see Netflix, Amazon Instant TV, Hulu, and all the ripped video on my home network, right out of the box. It's basically for playing XBox and watching movies on, and it does those things just great.

I bought from Amazon, and the thing was delivered two days later by a couple of large guys who hefted it down the stairs for me. Did I mention it's really big? I'm happy with the big, but I don't think I realized how big it was when I bought it. Staring at a wall of the things at Best Buy or Costco, you don't get a good impression of what it will look like in your house.

I also learned a bit about the models sold at Costco, Sam's Club/Wal-Mart, and other discount outlets. You'll find the model numbers there are slightly different from the ones at the electronics stores, but the product descriptions are very similar to the models that get rated by the websites and magazines. I looked into the actual differences, and it's often something like a subtle downgrade of the panel, with a 100,000:1 contrast ratio instead of the 1,000,000:1 on the rated model, or it will only have two HDMI inputs instead of four. The Costco model turns out to be cheaper in more ways than one. But the difference may not matter to you - maybe you only want to plug in a cable box and a blu-ray player, so you don't need the extra inputs. Something to consider when you're looking at where to buy.

Good luck!
Mini J

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone and especially Usagi; I've been doing the trends research too but was wondering if anyone had more suggestions. I have also been discovering that plasma is probably better for what I want; mostly games and movies (though we have cable for now.) Thanks for the comprehensive post Usagi, I am going to take a look at those (I found the same problem with CNet regarding old models.

I definitely want more rather than fewer HDMI ports; I have now... xbox, ps3, and wii U to have hooked up. I have always really liked samsung, so I'm going to explore that direction, see what I find.
Celaeno

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did our message capacity change? I just logged in (for the first time since June, whoops), and saw that my inbox was full (which is I guess what happens when you have years of messages and don't ever delete them). But the thing is, I don't remember it ever being that little, or I have deleted the super inconsequential messages a long time ago.

Also, HI!
eureka00

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the new year I think I'm going to start a new blog and abandon livejournal (not that I post in it much anymore anyhow). Thoughts on blog services out there? I've looked at wordpress and blogger. Wordpress has a paid version and a free. Is paid worth it? Or is there a better option out there?
Vox Raucus

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are the best non-fiction books you've read?

I get five months of (paid) parental leave starting the end of January, and one of the things I'm planning to do is read more seriously. I already read a fair amount of fiction, and I like to learn and stuff, so I figured I would focus on the non-fiction.

EDIT - I'm asking in this thread because I'm too lazy to comb through the book thread.
eureka00

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vox Raucus wrote:
What are the best non-fiction books you've read?

I get five months of (paid) parental leave starting the end of January, and one of the things I'm planning to do is read more seriously. I already read a fair amount of fiction, and I like to learn and stuff, so I figured I would focus on the non-fiction.

EDIT - I'm asking in this thread because I'm too lazy to comb through the book thread.

Hrm, I don't read a lot of non-fiction actually just the occasional biography. However, you might look up nonfiction bestsellers on amazon.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Casual Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 692, 693, 694 ... 753, 754, 755  Next
Page 693 of 755

Jump to: