welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Questions and Answers
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 708, 709, 710 ... 753, 754, 755  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dogen

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The people in lower level psychology classes are annoying, because they treat it like therapy. I think a lot of people in theory-based majors start out trying to apply the theories they're learning all the time, and it kind of eases as you get through it and the newness wears off. Ever tried to have a conversation with someone after they've taken their first philosophy class? Suddenly it's all "categorical imperative" this and "utilitarianism" that.

Not that people who majored in psychology aren't inherently sesquipedalian, pleonastic douchebags. It's just not limited to us. Wink
ShadowCell

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dogen wrote:
Ever tried to have a conversation with someone after they've taken their first philosophy class? Suddenly it's all "categorical imperative" this and "utilitarianism" that.

they don't actually get any better >>
Dogen

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tell me about it. Rolling Eyes It's like when I was in junior high and there was this kid who used to talk all the time, and it really made me feel like he had self-esteem issues, and I could relate because I was always taller than every-- hey, where are you going?
Samsally

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me it just made my normally manageable quirks and anxieties* into Big Problems that took over my life.

Like, a thing I really don't need is a degree in something that makes me more crazy than usual.

*er, sometimes i question how manageable they are but...
Dogen

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You got med student syndrome from a couple psych classes, huh? Usually people start diagnosing everyone around them. Wink
Samsally

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's entirely possible my normally manageable quirks are uh. Not normal.

I seem to manage okay, though. Usually.
ShadowCell

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i took a psychology class in high school* that started off by explicitly telling us all about med student syndrome and why we should not fall prey to it

*yyyyyyyyyyyyyeah
Samsally

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty sure the class I took went over that, too! It didn't help. I mean, I didn't start seeing stuff in my friends at least?
Dogen

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No one is normal. If you get along in life then you're not disordered, by definition. Everyone has symptoms, though. I have sub-clinical anxiety symptoms. I don't have an anxiety disorder. So recognizing you have symptoms is NBD, because everyone else has something too. OCD-like, anger problems, depressive tendencies... ain't nobody normal.
Sam

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ShadowCell wrote:
i took a psychology class in high school* that started off by explicitly telling us all about med student syndrome and why we should not fall prey to it

*yyyyyyyyyyyyyeah

i agree, it's pretty typical borderline personality disorder on her part.

did you ask her what her obviously abusive childhood was like?
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dogen wrote:
No one is normal. If you get along in life then you're not disordered, by definition. Everyone has symptoms, though. I have sub-clinical anxiety symptoms. I don't have an anxiety disorder. So recognizing you have symptoms is NBD, because everyone else has something too. OCD-like, anger problems, depressive tendencies... ain't nobody normal.

SO, effectively, being "normal" is the most abnormal condition you could have? That might explain Kristen Stewart's mass appeal and apparent lack of personality.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Snorri

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ShadowCell wrote:
Dogen wrote:
Ever tried to have a conversation with someone after they've taken their first philosophy class? Suddenly it's all "categorical imperative" this and "utilitarianism" that.

they don't actually get any better >>

We totally do. We start talking about how that shit is all wrong and really knowing anything is just impossible and wait that is a very convincing argument too wait no it's totally silly because this other guy has a far more convincing argument wait no he doesn't.

god I hate us, but I've also had the most fun with my fellow students. Last thursday instead of just going out we went out while having a bullshit discussion that lasted hours and was never resolved. The best thing about philosophy students is that they don't just believe you. They go "nah man, you're talking shit" instead of saying "wow that is interesting! you are so learned!".

Samsally

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you still talking about psychology students or are we talking about Sinfest now? I can't tell.
mouse

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sinfest probably has an abnormal number of people who have studied philosophy. so, you know....pretty much the same thing.
Felgraf

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dogen wrote:
The people in lower level psychology classes are annoying, because they treat it like therapy. I think a lot of people in theory-based majors start out trying to apply the theories they're learning all the time, and it kind of eases as you get through it and the newness wears off. Ever tried to have a conversation with someone after they've taken their first philosophy class? Suddenly it's all "categorical imperative" this and "utilitarianism" that.

Not that people who majored in psychology aren't inherently sesquipedalian, pleonastic douchebags. It's just not limited to us. Wink

Man, I hated my first philosophy class, because it was boring as heck. Largely because have the purpose was to teach you to "Think critically" and to cause you to examine your own believes and try to think about *why* you thought of the things you did/why you believed what you believed/basically try to 'teach' metacognition, and the entire time I'm sitting there going "... but.. but I've been doing this for about three years, thanks to Pratchett books. Are you telling me this ISN'T normal for most people?"

I actually rather enjoyed my two later philosophy classes, though. ... Mainly because I had an awesome teacher and enjoyed the arguing.
"No, but evil is still being --Is having reason-- Being reasonable! Mousie understands? Is always being reason. Is punishing world for not being... Like in head. Is always reason. World should be different, is reason."
-Ed, from Digger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Casual Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 708, 709, 710 ... 753, 754, 755  Next
Page 709 of 755

Jump to: