welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Questions and Answers
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 723, 724, 725 ... 753, 754, 755  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
stripeypants

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sounds like an ad hominum attack - attacking the person's character, rather than the argument.

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

with a dash of false dilemma. either they have to be all bad because of traits x, y, and z, or they have to be all good because of trait a; no middle ground is offered.

and a case of false attribution. whether the person is a good person isn't what your claim is about, it's whether that person has trait a or not. Adolf Hitler and Mahatma Gandhi were both vegetarians, so to say that they both have the trait of "being a vegetarian" is true; yet one of them is most decidedly not a good person, and the other one is Gandhi. and by saying "Adolf Hitler and Mahatma Gandhi were both vegetarians," i'm certainly not saying "Adolf Hitler and Mahatma Gandhi were both good people."
Samsally

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My little North Dakota self is going to melt soon if I don't get this god forsaken window open. I've been fighting with it all day (hey haha remember last year when I had the same problem?!) and none of my usual tricks are working. I cannot figure out how to fix this and I'm overheated, frustrated, and starting to feel kinda nauseous. (Yeah yeah I'm a giant wuss shut up it was COLD for so long it takes a while to adjust)

Anyway I took pictures of the bane of my existence.

Things I've tried so far:
Using tools to prop the little latching things in the 'open' position and yanking it up by hand (OW) and then later by using the back of a hammer like a crow bar (this is what worked last year. It'll get up a teeny bit, then full stop in the same spot every time.) I've also tried gently bowing the window in and out (OW AGAIN) to try and wiggle it up. No dice, it STILL stops in exactly the same spot.

I'm so frustrated. I shouldn't need help to open a fucking window. Searching the internet has garnered absolutely no good ideas... anybody here have experience with this bullshit?
Monkey Mcdermott

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pay a high school student to throw a rock through it then complain to the landlord to get it fixed

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You really shouldn't suggest that.

...Because if Samsally's anything like me, she'll totally do it.

ShadowCell

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

didn't you have to fight to get your landlord to fix your door? that may not be the best idea
Samsally

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hahaha, okay except creeping on a high school would be... not good. I'd be pretty impressed with a high schooler that could throw something hard enough though, since I'm not too close to the ground.

ShadowCell has a point, though. I mostly avoid reminding my land lord that I exist. I'm not actually convinced he knows who I really am anymore? I've been out of my lease for a really long time and they never badger me to sign a new one or raise my rent. *knocks on wood*
eureka00

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah yes, those are the storm window latch things. I have these on every window in my house. The latches *might* be off their track. Or they just might need some WD40. Cleaning some of the dirt and grime around the latch could help too. Oh, and mine have another set of latches to lower the top part of the window so see if you have better luck with that set. They should be somewhere in the middle of the window if they exist. If all else fails, the entire storm window itself should come out, but don't want you to get in trouble with landlord either.
Samsally

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hrm. I'll get some WD40 tomorrow and try to clean it better. Believe it or not, those pictures were -after- I'd cleaned it once. It was just that filthy.
eureka00

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Samsally wrote:
Hrm. I'll get some WD40 tomorrow and try to clean it better. Believe it or not, those pictures were -after- I'd cleaned it once. It was just that filthy.

Any luck with lowering top part of window?
Samsally

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They're actually about 7 feet tall. They didn't bother to make 'em open at the top because nobody reasonable would be able to reach that far (they're also set about three feet off the ground, I can't even reach the top on a chair, haha and I can just barely reach when I stand on the sill)

They are cool windows when they aren't being a giant pain in my ass. At some point they added a drop ceiling, but the windows were so huge they had to build around them.

That blind is missing because it was taped on when I moved in and when it fell off I decided it wasn't worth almost dying to try and tape it up again. Also enjoy my beauteous wall art.
eureka00

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to the calendar it's still December so maybe we don't need the window open afterall.

Anyways, OMG THOSE ARE HUGE! (that's what she said?) I imagine those storm windows are really really heavy on a window that size. Taking them out might be out of the question. Are both windows able to be opened? Have you tried both and gotten the same result? Capt obvious is obvious.

But yes, heavy doses of WD40 along the tracks and latches tomorrow and give it about 10 minutes to work it's magic.
Samsally

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeeeah I keep the current calender in the kitchen. That spot is reserved for calendars of days gone past that happen to have pictures of Star Trek characters on them because reasons.

I'm pretty sure taking them out completely is out of the question without way more work than I can put into it. The other window also sticks, but I've just left the storm window open permanently on that one because I'm an asshole. That one has a mesh screen and the one I want to open (on the left) does not. It's for the air conditioner (which is conveniently right on top of my bed. Oh god I want to open that fucking window so bad, tonight is going to suck.)

If I can't get it open by myself tomorrow, I've got a friend coming over to try and help on Sunday. Here's hoping. She's pretty badass though so I'm pretty sure we'll figure something out.
Yorick

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In reference to the previous page's primary topic, what's a CSA?
eureka00

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yorick wrote:
In reference to the previous page's primary topic, what's a CSA?

Community Supported Agriculture. You buy a share in a farmer's crop. You then get to reap the rewards from the farmer's crop weekly or bi-weekly by getting a big basket of farm fresh veggies, fruits, eggs, etc. Usually way more food than you could get at a grocery store for the cost.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Casual Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 723, 724, 725 ... 753, 754, 755  Next
Page 724 of 755

Jump to: