welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Questions and Answers
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 725, 726, 727 ... 753, 754, 755  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mouse

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the sheriff's department in my area will do a walk-through to tell you how to minimize your risk of break-ins. one thing they said was, make sure there isn't anything "attractive" that can be easily seen from outside - so, for example, she suggested moving my wine rack/bar which was visible through the front window, because teenagers will break in looking for alcohol. that would probably also go for easily portable things like tvs, computers, gameboys, etc. can you put curtains on the windows? that will make it harder to look in - both to see if you have anything interesting, and to see if anyone is home. she also suggested leaving the radio on, so people hear voices in the house.

if you have a deadbolt on a door with windows, make sure it is the kind that you need a key to open, not the kind that just has a thing you turn - so even if they break the glass, they still can't get the door open. if the backdoor is all glass (so they can just step through a broken one), can you put in a security screen door? (i recently put one of those in, but it's mostly so i can leave the front door open on hot summer nights to get a breeze - but of course, it also works from a security point of view.)

another thing (although more long-term) is if you can plant bushes outside the windows (ones with thorns are a plus, but anything that makes it harder to reach the window).

the deputy said most burglars want to get in and out quickly, so anything you can do that might slow them down will help. although i think that's more professional burglars, teens might not think that bit through.

also, if there have been a number of break-ins in your area, can you call the cops and ask if they can maybe do some drive-throughs during the day? just something to show a presence. Or heck, just ask them if they have any suggestions - they may have a program like my sheriff's dept. does. or you might try calling your home insurance agent, to see if they have any suggestions on increasing security. (along with making an inventory, you should also put an identifier on hockable stuff - preferably something like your driver's license number, rather than your SSN which has its own value.)
TIAB

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Michael wrote:
TIAB wrote:
Set up your computer to loudly play recordings of the same dog barking in various ways at random intervals. If you get your hands on the recordings, it's easy enough to schedule the recordings without any additional software. You can probably even incorporate something like this to play the recording whenever there is a loud noise.

It's all just bluster, but it's cheap and may be enough of a deterrent.

That way, when you lie tossing and turning in bed, trying to sleep despite the carefully calculated cacophony of canines, there's always a small chance someone will toss a stake in your face before robbing your house

yay stake!

Naw, he said it was a problem during the day. Pretty easy to turn off at night.
mouse

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i don't think i would be too happy if someone tossed a stake in my face.

a steak, however....

hey, i have a question. i am utterly ignorant of all that fancy audio-video stuff, and i need to get a decent set of speakers for an ipod. preferably around $40. it is so our yoga instructor can play music during class - she has an ipod, and the woman who originally started the class had speakers, but then her office moved so she isn't in the class anymore and she took her speakers. so - can anyone recommend something that has good sound quality on soft music, nice and portable and not too expensive? and also available preferably at some commonly found store. thanks!
DeD CHiKn

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CTrees wrote:
Apparently there's been a rash of break-ins in my neighborhood. Daylight (while people are at work), by teenagers (because school's out). We have a ton of giant, low windows and single-pane, glass backdoors, as well as the usual long window right by the front door. Moving, getting a dog, and putting bars on the windows are all infeasible.

What do? I mean, besides finally investing in that safe I've been meaning to buy, and giving insurance an inventory of everything interesting.

TIAB

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The whole plan hinges on you finding a TalkBoy brand recorder. Fail on this point and the whole thing falls apart.
DeD CHiKn

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TIAB wrote:
The whole plan hinges on you finding a TalkBoy brand recorder. Fail on this point and the whole thing falls apart.

Note, this only applies to hotel defense.
TIAB

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, so it does. Home defense relies on life-sized cut-outs and model train tracks.
CTrees

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sadly, the Home Alone defense plan relies on being home (alone), and these are targetted for when people are not home. I guess I'll just have to weaponize our Roomba.

On a more serious note, bushes will definitely be going in in front of our front windows, deadbolts will be utilized, and curtains are going up to block the remaining windows. We can't really plant bushes by the back windows (because there are a shitload of buried wires right where we'd have to dig). Will look into the logistics of adding security screens and alarms.
mouse

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CTrees wrote:
Sadly, the Home Alone defense plan relies on being home (alone), and these are targetted for when people are not home. I guess I'll just have to weaponize our Roomba.

with roomba cat?
WheelsOfConfusion

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In a shark costume.
ShadowCell

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

with frickin' laser beams attached to their heads!
Michael

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mouse wrote:
i don't think i would be too happy if someone tossed a stake in my face.

a steak, however....

in my defence, I was very very drunk
mouse

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

note to self: do not let michael throw things at you when he is very very drunk.
Yinello

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You mean you let other drunk people throw things at you?

Granted, they can't aim well.
mouse

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

actually, it hasn't been too much of an issue for me....clearly, i am hanging out with the wrong drunk people.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Casual Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 725, 726, 727 ... 753, 754, 755  Next
Page 726 of 755

Jump to: