Sinfest Forum Index Sinfest
welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Questions and Answers
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 726, 727, 728 ... 750, 751, 752  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
stripeypants

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How do I explain the mindset of millenials/gen y people to boomers? I idn't think ths kind of disconnect actually happened, but it is affecting my workplace big time.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Start by offering a "trick" or two to working with Millenials/Gen Y, such as offering explanations of the impact of their work and the role it plays in "The big picture", even before they start a task. Without that explanation, they might lose focus and need the explanation later on, in which case time is lost. Less time is invested if the explanation is given beforehand.

Boomers have a less immediate concern over the impact of their work and either gained that understanding of their impact from years of experience or are simply satisfied to have something to do that's measurably productive. It's a lot easier for them to get a set of instructions and just work and figure out the impact after the fact. But then, you were asking about Gen Y...

Another "trick" to offer is providing feedback shortly after clear milestones, but still in conjunction with explanation of impact prior.

If these tips prove to be helpful to the Boomers, they may be more receptive to an explanation of why they work at a later time. Then you can tell them that Millenials/Gen Y have a greater need for immediacy regarding their efforts. They want to know that they aren't *going* to waste time on something with minimal to no impact before they invest the time. They want to feel informed and sooner rather than later.
stripeypants

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

(edit)

Last edited by stripeypants on Sat Nov 23, 2013 7:37 am; edited 1 time in total
TIAB

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Generational communication styles tend to be pretty solid. People can learn to use new communication tools but they tend to want to use what's most familiar to them and will use others begrudgingly and unreliably. If you want communication to be efficient between generations at work you kind of need to stick within people's comfort zone. Social networks work great for the younger generations, but only moderately well for Gen X, where phone and email work better. Basically, you'll want liaisons to bridge the gaps.

Easy example, a new policy change needs to be announced and management wants confirmation that people are aware. Post it to an internal social network where employees can comment and confirm that they've read it. Send out an email with a read receipt, or specify that replies are needed. Post a physical copy to a bulletin board and set a meeting with sign-in sheets at the door. People must confirm at least one way.
Thy Brilliance

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stripeypants wrote:
I should have clarified that I'm trying to explain the notion that work and play are not separate, that social communication is important, and that most gen y and millenials (and I think a lot of Xers) use internet communication daily to keep up with everyone.

I had a moment of complete shock when talking about how our intranet website needs social media functions as well as just information, and someone said, "What would that look like?" because they couldn't conceive of a website where people talk to each other. They also pretty much think fun is out of place at work (literally) and have huge concerns about the amount of time that would be spent on social media. (We have a whole committee dedicated to facebook, when it really shouldn't take that much time to make facebook posts)

They are really interested in improving the workplace culture, specifically communication, but they just can't even get started and I don't know how to help them understand why I think the whole social media thing is necessary and why we really have to change the idea of 'wasted time' in relation to everyone communicating.

Yea.. that's going to be a hard task, some sectors of industry really don't care about social media, and consider it to be a joke.
stripeypants

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure I'll find something useful to help me explain. Eventually.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

why does life seem so hard sometimes when all it takes is a bottle of wine to make everything better again?

hey! rock bottom's not that bad
we've got glow-in-the-dark fish down here that's rad
Snorri

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

any of you know how to stop cats from pissing/shitting outside of their litter box? I foolishly said how brilliant I was in actually cleaning the litter box thoroughly after my brothers girlfriend claimed she cleaned it two or three days a week (shit was caked so bad I could be convinced she meant weeks), then one of the cats pissed in my bed.

They got their box. Food also. They are never in a room they can't exit. I just dunno why they do it when it's also a place they sleep. (in fact I was enjoying it when our most cautious cat started to just sleep next to me.)

Lasairfiona

Location: I have to be somewhere? ::runs around frantically::

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are they old? If not, um, is it a dominance thing? Apparently cats do that too. tinkeringidiot had to pull dominance on his cat after it kept shitting in front of him.

Also making sure that they can't smell any of their previous mishaps seems to help. A bit. Those enzyme based cleaners do help with the smell at least.

Snorri

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lasairfiona wrote:
Are they old? If not, um, is it a dominance thing? Apparently cats do that too. tinkeringidiot had to pull dominance on his cat after it kept shitting in front of him.

Also making sure that they can't smell any of their previous mishaps seems to help. A bit. Those enzyme based cleaners do help with the smell at least.

Well the youngest, who we suspect is the culprit (my sis is usually away the entire day and there were two or three incidents we didn't see), is pretty young. So it might be the dominance. Though she got fixed and the actual problem started after she got fixed.

Oh yeah. Should give age and sex and all that for them.
Male cat is a bit over a year old I think and fixed. Doesn't do anything problematic except for getting into the thrash-can to get at bits of plastic.
Female cat is like 9 months more or less and fixed recently. Shy but otherwise not problematic, she just calls dibs whenever the other one manages to get something nice. (man, she scares the other one when there is food.)

I mean to ensure that the smells are gone. It's hard to tell for me though given my bad sense of smell and all the smoking. It seems like the one who does it switches when she is banned from other rooms.

eureka00

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our one cat has problems with going outside his litter box. We ended up just blocking him down in our basement. He doesn't go outside of the box anywhere in the basement or in the upstairs bedrooms, just on the main floor. I've tried lots of different things. Thing is we had him for 2 or 3 years before he started doing any of it, so I find it hard to believe it's a dominance thing after living with the other cat THAT long. The vet thinks it's because he's seen a stray cat/wild animal out our windows/sliding glass door and has anxiety about it. This seems plausible since he always does it by the windows/doors. I don't know how I could keep other animals out of our yard, though.

On other cats, I've successfully used Feliway which you can buy in spray or as a room plugin. It's expensive stuff, but you should definitely check it out.
Yinello

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Snorri wrote:
any of you know how to stop cats from pissing/shitting outside of their litter box? I foolishly said how brilliant I was in actually cleaning the litter box thoroughly after my brothers girlfriend claimed she cleaned it two or three days a week (shit was caked so bad I could be convinced she meant weeks), then one of the cats pissed in my bed.

Everytime your cat pisses somewhere else except in the litter box, push their face down in it. Hard. It's what I did when I got my kitten, I shoved his face in his pee. The unpleasantness of it all will be enough for the cat to remember that what he did was bad. If he does a poo and I can imagine you don't want to shove his face in that, bring him close to that area and then scold him by tapping him on the nose.

Also when he does go to the litter box to do their thing, give them a little treat after. Even a little bit of cat food will suffice. After a few time the cat will associate doing their thing in the litter box is good.

This kind of training shouldn't last more than a week and it's pretty effective.
sporko

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yinello wrote:
Snorri wrote:

Everytime your cat pisses somewhere else except in the litter box, push their face down in it. Hard. It's what I did when I got my kitten, I shoved his face in his pee. The unpleasantness of it all will be enough for the cat to remember that what he did was bad. If he does a poo and I can imagine you don't want to shove his face in that, bring him close to that area and then scold him by tapping him on the nose.

Also when he does go to the litter box to do their thing, give them a little treat after. Even a little bit of cat food will suffice. After a few time the cat will associate doing their thing in the litter box is good.

This kind of training shouldn't last more than a week and it's pretty effective.

are cats different from dogs in that regard then? because i know that's something you aren't supposed to do with dogs.

cats idk, cats are weird

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sporko wrote:
Yinello wrote:
Snorri wrote:

are cats different from dogs in that regard then? because i know that's something you aren't supposed to do with dogs.

cats idk, cats are weird

Cats are not weird! You just don't understand them!!

sporko

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

does anyone remember josh? he's from ages ago, i don't even remember his username...last name starts with an S and i think he was in georgia haha.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Casual Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 726, 727, 728 ... 750, 751, 752  Next
Page 727 of 752

Jump to: