welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Questions and Answers
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 735, 736, 737 ... 753, 754, 755  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jinx

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heretical Rants wrote:
Why would a police officer follow me halfway across town (on some somewhat awkward turns, even), then turn around and go back the way he came?

Are your tags up to date? Anything else they might need to verify?

I had some similar experiences when I was younger, and a couple of friends in law enforcement said sometimes if there's something suspicious, they'll call in your plate, then follow you while they get a response as to whether you're legit or not.
DeD CHiKn

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jinx wrote:
Are your tags up to date? Anything else they might need to verify?

I had some similar experiences when I was younger, and a couple of friends in law enforcement said sometimes if there's something suspicious, they'll call in your plate, then follow you while they get a response as to whether you're legit or not.

Nah bro, only possible answers are they were trying to trick them into breaking the law or profiling.
ShadowCell

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

is there some kind of neat little trick to typing up cover letters without experiencing the overwhelming feeling that everything you say is complete and utter horseshit?
Mikewee777

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heretical Rants wrote:
Why would a police officer follow me halfway across town (on some somewhat awkward turns, even), then turn around and go back the way he came?

Citizen, why do you question the intent of your government superiors? You should be happy that your taxes are at work. There are many who have died at their home because their local officers failed to be as vigilant as yours were.

God bLess America.
Mikewee777

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried, I don't know how to censor text. Please teach me.
Samsally

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ShadowCell wrote:
is there some kind of neat little trick to typing up cover letters without experiencing the overwhelming feeling that everything you say is complete and utter horseshit?

As far as I can tell, no, not really. I think that has more to do with the fact that I really truly despise cover letters and everything they represent, though.

I've had the best luck just throwing something painfully formulaic together, then forcing someone I trust to read it and tell me what to change.
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Samsally wrote:
ShadowCell wrote:

As far as I can tell, no, not really. I think that has more to do with the fact that I really truly despise cover letters and everything they represent, though.

I've had the best luck just throwing something painfully formulaic together, then forcing someone I trust to read it and tell me what to change.

I think this is why 50% of the HR experts (many of which are hiring managers) that write advice articles talk about how they need to be perfect, while the other half say they don't even bother reading them. It really depends on the field though too since for some they are indispensable.

Overall though, yeah, cover letters suck dirty goat balls.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Hydro

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Every cover letter I've ever written has had roots in about.com....

While resumes are taking a turn for the better in non-formulaic, cover letters are overdue for an upgrade.
Arc Tempest

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ShadowCell wrote:

It really depends on how much you know about the people reading it. Slipping in a little humor and humanity can go a long way, or it can completely fuck you over. And you never know which it will be until after the fact!

(Fuck cover letters.)
Felgraf

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ShadowCell wrote:

Not that I know of.

Nothing says "We take our hiring process seriously" like 'Let's read a paragraph before we decide to trash the resume or not!'
"No, but evil is still being --Is having reason-- Being reasonable! Mousie understands? Is always being reason. Is punishing world for not being... Like in head. Is always reason. World should be different, is reason."
-Ed, from Digger
DeD CHiKn

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I basically just reiterate the job description, say I can do this, I am awesome.

Then I sit back and wait as they don't call me.

In all honesty, my wife read my cover letter one time and looked at me while saying "Honey, please don't ever try to go into sales."
Celaeno

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I toss all cover letters I receive.

This sample size of one says to skip it altogether.
Jinx

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of the resumes I see don't have a cover letter. I'm not sure if they had one when they were submitted (if they were submitted, and not retrieved from Monster, CareerBuilder, BrainBuzz, or some other candidate source), but by the time they're passed on to hiring managers, in my company, they rarely have a cover letter.

If you're mailing your resume, or submitting it online and it asks for one, then by all means, send a cover letter. If you're submitting one electronically and it doesn't ask for a cover letter, don't sweat it. In my experience, hiring manager's don't care much about that. They want the resume, and to meet the person to size them up and ask questions.
Atrophy Annie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope a lot of employers do the same as you, Cel, because fuuuuck cover letters.
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My wife was looking for freelance gigs earlier today, and amongst the other wonderful things she can write (including essays, term papers and THESES) she could do cover letters.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Casual Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 735, 736, 737 ... 753, 754, 755  Next
Page 736 of 755

Jump to: