welcome to the fest
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Questions and Answers
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 735, 736, 737 ... 753, 754, 755  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Casual Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Jinx



Joined: 09 Jul 2006
Posts: 3615
Location: America, fuck yeah!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heretical Rants wrote:
Why would a police officer follow me halfway across town (on some somewhat awkward turns, even), then turn around and go back the way he came?


Are your tags up to date? Anything else they might need to verify?

I had some similar experiences when I was younger, and a couple of friends in law enforcement said sometimes if there's something suspicious, they'll call in your plate, then follow you while they get a response as to whether you're legit or not.
_________________
The universe we observe has precisely the properties we should expect if there is, at bottom, no design, no purpose, no evil, no good, nothing but blind, pitiless indifference.
- Charles Darwin
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
DeD CHiKn



Joined: 04 Aug 2006
Posts: 10222
Location: Baltimore, Maryla*gunshot*

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jinx wrote:
Are your tags up to date? Anything else they might need to verify?

I had some similar experiences when I was younger, and a couple of friends in law enforcement said sometimes if there's something suspicious, they'll call in your plate, then follow you while they get a response as to whether you're legit or not.


Nah bro, only possible answers are they were trying to trick them into breaking the law or profiling.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
ShadowCell



Joined: 03 Aug 2008
Posts: 6020
Location: California

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

is there some kind of neat little trick to typing up cover letters without experiencing the overwhelming feeling that everything you say is complete and utter horseshit?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Mikewee777



Joined: 16 Nov 2007
Posts: 528
Location: 0_0

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heretical Rants wrote:
Why would a police officer follow me halfway across town (on some somewhat awkward turns, even), then turn around and go back the way he came?


Citizen, why do you question the intent of your government superiors? You should be happy that your taxes are at work. There are many who have died at their home because their local officers failed to be as vigilant as yours were.

God bLess America.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Mikewee777



Joined: 16 Nov 2007
Posts: 528
Location: 0_0

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried, I don't know how to censor text. Please teach me.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Samsally



Joined: 10 Jul 2006
Posts: 6314

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ShadowCell wrote:
is there some kind of neat little trick to typing up cover letters without experiencing the overwhelming feeling that everything you say is complete and utter horseshit?


As far as I can tell, no, not really. I think that has more to do with the fact that I really truly despise cover letters and everything they represent, though.

I've had the best luck just throwing something painfully formulaic together, then forcing someone I trust to read it and tell me what to change.
_________________
Samsally the GrayAce
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Darqcyde



Joined: 11 Jul 2006
Posts: 10251
Location: A false vacuum abiding in ignorance.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Samsally wrote:
ShadowCell wrote:
is there some kind of neat little trick to typing up cover letters without experiencing the overwhelming feeling that everything you say is complete and utter horseshit?


As far as I can tell, no, not really. I think that has more to do with the fact that I really truly despise cover letters and everything they represent, though.

I've had the best luck just throwing something painfully formulaic together, then forcing someone I trust to read it and tell me what to change.


I think this is why 50% of the HR experts (many of which are hiring managers) that write advice articles talk about how they need to be perfect, while the other half say they don't even bother reading them. It really depends on the field though too since for some they are indispensable.

Overall though, yeah, cover letters suck dirty goat balls.
_________________
...if a single leaf holds the eye, it will be as if the remaining leaves were not there.
http://12ozlb.blogspot.com Now in book form: http://amzn.to/14E6OFy
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Hydro



Joined: 21 Dec 2007
Posts: 472
Location: Under the boiling summer southern sun

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Every cover letter I've ever written has had roots in about.com....


While resumes are taking a turn for the better in non-formulaic, cover letters are overdue for an upgrade.
_________________
<random> ♪ oh mama I'm in fear for my life
from the long arm of the law
♪</random>
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Arc Tempest



Joined: 28 Jan 2007
Posts: 4881
Location: Oregon

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ShadowCell wrote:
is there some kind of neat little trick to typing up cover letters without experiencing the overwhelming feeling that everything you say is complete and utter horseshit?


It really depends on how much you know about the people reading it. Slipping in a little humor and humanity can go a long way, or it can completely fuck you over. And you never know which it will be until after the fact!

(Fuck cover letters.)
_________________
The older I get, the more certain I become of one thing. True and abiding cynicism is simply a form of cowardice.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Felgraf



Joined: 10 Jul 2012
Posts: 705

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ShadowCell wrote:
is there some kind of neat little trick to typing up cover letters without experiencing the overwhelming feeling that everything you say is complete and utter horseshit?


Not that I know of.

Nothing says "We take our hiring process seriously" like 'Let's read a paragraph before we decide to trash the resume or not!'
_________________
"No, but evil is still being --Is having reason-- Being reasonable! Mousie understands? Is always being reason. Is punishing world for not being... Like in head. Is always reason. World should be different, is reason."
-Ed, from Digger
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
DeD CHiKn



Joined: 04 Aug 2006
Posts: 10222
Location: Baltimore, Maryla*gunshot*

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I basically just reiterate the job description, say I can do this, I am awesome.

Then I sit back and wait as they don't call me.


In all honesty, my wife read my cover letter one time and looked at me while saying "Honey, please don't ever try to go into sales."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
Celaeno



Joined: 09 Jul 2006
Posts: 3029
Location: Kzoo

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I toss all cover letters I receive.

This sample size of one says to skip it altogether.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Jinx



Joined: 09 Jul 2006
Posts: 3615
Location: America, fuck yeah!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of the resumes I see don't have a cover letter. I'm not sure if they had one when they were submitted (if they were submitted, and not retrieved from Monster, CareerBuilder, BrainBuzz, or some other candidate source), but by the time they're passed on to hiring managers, in my company, they rarely have a cover letter.

If you're mailing your resume, or submitting it online and it asks for one, then by all means, send a cover letter. If you're submitting one electronically and it doesn't ask for a cover letter, don't sweat it. In my experience, hiring manager's don't care much about that. They want the resume, and to meet the person to size them up and ask questions.
_________________
The universe we observe has precisely the properties we should expect if there is, at bottom, no design, no purpose, no evil, no good, nothing but blind, pitiless indifference.
- Charles Darwin
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Atrophy Annie



Joined: 09 Jul 2006
Posts: 1690
Location: Your Mom

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope a lot of employers do the same as you, Cel, because fuuuuck cover letters.
_________________
Way to kill the conversation, Patty.- Trevor
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
Darqcyde



Joined: 11 Jul 2006
Posts: 10251
Location: A false vacuum abiding in ignorance.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My wife was looking for freelance gigs earlier today, and amongst the other wonderful things she can write (including essays, term papers and THESES) she could do cover letters.
_________________
...if a single leaf holds the eye, it will be as if the remaining leaves were not there.
http://12ozlb.blogspot.com Now in book form: http://amzn.to/14E6OFy
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Casual Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 735, 736, 737 ... 753, 754, 755  Next
Page 736 of 755

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group