welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Questions and Answers
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 736, 737, 738 ... 753, 754, 755  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ShadowCell

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

urrrrrgh. i've been doing the cover letters anyway because my resume is thin on experience, so i need something to get somebody's attention. but yeah, the job advice world is like 50% "you don't need one for like anything" and 50% "you have to have one and it has to be perfect or you'll develop job cancer"
Yorick

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I fucking hate cover letters. I sweat and obsess over them for too damn long to the point of wasting my life away. I hate them so much that I have actually reused identical letters for similar jobs, just changing the titles and addresses. I don't know that any one of them has ever managed to assist me in getting the fucking job.

I want my cover letters to barge in to the office and say "HEY! look here! I can take care of all your shit for you!" but by the rules everyone says you should do they all end up seeming like meek little rats talking in Peter Lorre's voice and inflection, going "hey, heh heh, lemme do the job sir" and I HATE THEM ALL FOREVER FUCK COVER LETTERS
Yinello

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in need of some opinions. I'm slowly fleshing out a small script for a game I might one day produce (and if not, whatever but I still enjoy doing it). Currently I've just got humans that depending on the choices they make can join factions that change them visually and change the gameplay. Personally I hold a huge candle towards the D&D Dwarves and can't help but want to put them in. But that would mean most likely adding the other D&D races too and I can't help feel that's kind of... overdone.

Now the most obvious answer of course is 'do what you want' and 'if it's well written, there's no problem', but I'm still curious. I even thought of giving the Dwarves a different name, a few different traits and acting like they're a new race but I guess it would be a bit too obvious.

So I guess the question would be: Do you like fantasy races that are familiar to you? Do you like them with a twist? Or do you like seeing something completely new? Should I just add Dwarves with different traits and pretend they're a different race? Razz
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yinello wrote:
I'm in need of some opinions. I'm slowly fleshing out a small script for a game I might one day produce (and if not, whatever but I still enjoy doing it). Currently I've just got humans that depending on the choices they make can join factions that change them visually and change the gameplay. Personally I hold a huge candle towards the D&D Dwarves and can't help but want to put them in. But that would mean most likely adding the other D&D races too and I can't help feel that's kind of... overdone.

Now the most obvious answer of course is 'do what you want' and 'if it's well written, there's no problem', but I'm still curious. I even thought of giving the Dwarves a different name, a few different traits and acting like they're a new race but I guess it would be a bit too obvious.

So I guess the question would be: Do you like fantasy races that are familiar to you? Do you like them with a twist? Or do you like seeing something completely new? Should I just add Dwarves with different traits and pretend they're a different race? Razz

If you have the story take place underground, it might be easier to exclude other races. Dwarves are, IMO, different form other races since they have real world equivalents, or close to. There's no pointed eared people, there's no seven foot green skin people, but there are "little people". I think quite easily you could make say gnomes and halflings sub races of dwarves. I'm sure you've been to TVTropes before, but this is probably the best starting point when dealing with fantasy races http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/OurMonstersAreDifferent

except that, All dwarves are the same http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/OurDwarvesAreAllTheSame

I'm one of those people that tries to find the good in everything, so I'm gonna hold off on my personal opinion.

Oh and also, there's the Shadowrun approach to 'fantasy races': http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/TabletopGame/Shadowrun
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Felgraf

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm kind of fond of the Discworld approach to dwarves.

... To be fair, I'm also fond of the Discworld approach to trolls.

... And just about everything else, actually...
"No, but evil is still being --Is having reason-- Being reasonable! Mousie understands? Is always being reason. Is punishing world for not being... Like in head. Is always reason. World should be different, is reason."
-Ed, from Digger
mouse

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yorick wrote:
I want my cover letters to barge in to the office and say "HEY! look here! I can take care of all your shit for you!"

i think you should try making half of your cover letters do this. at the very least it will give us all some additional data points in the impact of cover letters. and hey - it may even work.
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yorick wrote:
I fucking hate cover letters. I sweat and obsess over them for too damn long to the point of wasting my life away. I hate them so much that I have actually reused identical letters for similar jobs, just changing the titles and addresses. I don't know that any one of them has ever managed to assist me in getting the fucking job.

I want my cover letters to barge in to the office and say "HEY! look here! I can take care of all your shit for you!" but by the rules everyone says you should do they all end up seeming like meek little rats talking in Peter Lorre's voice and inflection, going "hey, heh heh, lemme do the job sir" and I HATE THEM ALL FOREVER FUCK COVER LETTERS

I can tell the people who have had to job hunt in the last five years vs. those who haven't just by judging their reactions to me calling job hunting a "soul crushing experience"; the sympathetic looks say it all, usually followed by "It took me ____ months (usually in the double digits) to get the job I have now."
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
fritterdonut

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whatever happened to Willem?
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fritterdonut wrote:

Life, plus he lurks from time to time. I've seen him logged on here from time to time.
Celaeno

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ShadowCell wrote:
urrrrrgh. i've been doing the cover letters anyway because my resume is thin on experience, so i need something to get somebody's attention. but yeah, the job advice world is like 50% "you don't need one for like anything" and 50% "you have to have one and it has to be perfect or you'll develop job cancer"

I'd be happy to look at your resume for you if you like. Shoot me a message, and I'll send you an email address.
Celaeno

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darqcyde wrote:
fritterdonut wrote:

Life, plus he lurks from time to time. I've seen him logged on here from time to time.

He seems to be well...but it's a little hard to tell because his Facebook posts are never in English.
Mr. Meddler

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just what kind of mushrooms are these?

They've been popping up these months with mostly every heavy shower we've had. Located in front yard around an dead ficus tree stump and roots.

More stats:
Simple stem, pure white, hollow. Lifts from ground easily and with little 'roots'.
Watery brown cap that fades to a light tan from the center out. Gills a chocolate brown. Shape is either flat or shield shaped. Cap droops as it ages. When dried, cap goes up, showing gills.
Very faint mushroom scent. Dare not eat it. Smooth stem and cap; nothing attached to the stem

I'm very curious as to what this is. These showed up as a 'fairy circle' around January, and just spread where the tree was.

Click here to see my artwork!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

they look close to magic mushroom, but yeah, I wouldn't eat them.
Monkey Mcdermott

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A book everyone should own.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But even expert mycologists (fungus guys) have trouble distinguishing some harmful from harmless species, so do not ever eat a mushroom unless it came to you on a plate.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Casual Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 736, 737, 738 ... 753, 754, 755  Next
Page 737 of 755

Jump to: