Sinfest Forum Index Sinfest
welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Questions and Answers
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 742, 743, 744 ... 750, 751, 752  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mouse

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you do understand that you are making welsh look more and more like something typed by someone with their hand in the wrong place on the keyboard, right?

(or i suppose i should say, rogptj?)
Him

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Sinfest, a friend of mine has fallen into the conspiracy theorist...for lack of a better word, madness. Free masons, illuminati, Azelia Banks sold her soul to the Dark Lord, the works. It's mostly her brother's fault but I am at a bit of a loss at what to do. She's not stupid and I don't want to talk down to her but anytime I've tried to address the issue...I've gone way too academic and obscure. What to do?
stripeypants

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why would someone make cough medicine licorice flavored? There are so many less offensive flavors to choose from.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stripeypants wrote:
Why would someone make cough medicine licorice flavored? There are so many less offensive flavors to choose from.

Because licorice is the best flavour.
Dogen

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why does anyone buy a Smart Car?!
eureka00

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dogen wrote:

Great gas mileage and novelty?
Echo

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't you do that funky park-at-90-degrees-to-everyone-else thing with a Smart Car, thus meaning you can un-learn the skill of parallel parking?
Jinx

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eureka00 wrote:
Dogen wrote:

Great gas mileage and novelty?

I hope people don't buy them for the gas mileage. They're really not that good on gas, given their size - 34 / 38 MPG. There are dozens of models that are better rated for gas mileage, including the Toyota Avalon, the Ford Fusion and the Lexus ES300, all hybrids, but also all 4-ddor sedans.
WheelsOfConfusion

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The last time I looked at them, Smart cars for the US market had markedly worse gas mileage than those in virtually every other market and weren't really an improvement over normal econoboxes. Not sure if that's because of design changes or just the way gas mileage is measured in the different places.

Of course, that was also before hybrids were quite so pervasive (basically you had your choice of a Honda Insight or Toyota Prius, and that was all).
Dogen

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, the gas models get 38 highway, which makes it less efficient than the Scion iQ and the Honda CR-Z (which looks a lot better, and has more than twice the cargo capacity). I've read that it shakes violently when you drive over 40, which kind of negates the highway mileage. And apparently it shifts like a 16-year-old, slowing down, shifting up, then accelerating, jerking you around. But that was just one review.
Mini J

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always really liked the idea of small, peppy cars, so the Smart was appealing at first. Now I am considering (assuming that I ever do get a car) something along the lines of a Honda Fit.

Though I do notice that the smart car price has gone down significantly over the past few years, at least up here.

Lastly, I also notice they have an electric model available here; that's new, too. There's also apparently a Smart ebike. Interesting.
Dogen

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The EV version of the smart has even more competition for efficiency. The Scion iQ EV gets a combined 121mpg compared to smart's 107. The Honda Fit EV, the Nissan Leaf (a midsize car!), and the oddly-named Mitsubishi i-MiEV all score better, and they're all bigger (which makes no sense why the smart gets such poor mileage in comparison). Although, at $12,500 it is cheaper than any EV I could find. So it's got that.
eureka00

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I drive a gas Honda Fit myself. It gets like 36mpg or so. I wish I could do the EV Fit, but as I live in the middle of nowhere midwest finding a charging station if I'd choose to drive it long distance makes it kinda eh in my mind.
DeD CHiKn

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My car, Chevy Sonic, hovers around 30mpg, but a majority is city driving.

I've never reset the meter for open highway though.
fritterdonut

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the pleasure of being driven around in a 2012 (I think) Chevy Volt a while ago and although the price tag was high, the gas mileage was amazing. Wikipedia says it gets like, 62 mpg. For most things you don't even have to fire up the engine because it can go like, 50km or so on battery alone. And up here electricity is pretty damn cheap (whereas petrol is expensive) so EV's & Hybrids are more cost efficient.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Casual Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 742, 743, 744 ... 750, 751, 752  Next
Page 743 of 752

Jump to: