welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Questions and Answers
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 748, 749, 750 ... 753, 754, 755  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
eureka00

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Certainly not a lot of calories going on in those two foods. You'd have to consume a ton to get to 1500. Plus, I think your body would still claim to be hungry. At first glance, I don't see a lot of iron, sodium, or carbs. These types of diet experiments can be very dangerous, just so you know. You could do major harm to your body. Some experiments are just better off not done.
Heretical Rants

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, it takes a couple of kilos of carrots to get enough iron - plus I read somewhere that calcium inhibits iron absorption, since they're both absorbed the same way

and you'd start craving salt
WheelsOfConfusion

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"What would happen if I ate a severely imbalanced diet?"
"Probably bad things."
Dogen

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heretical Rants wrote:
Carrots have stuff your gut bacteria need to produce B12 for you, and yoghurt is one of the best sources of B12 that you can get outside of eggs and meat.

No, in order to make any of the cobalamins you need cobalt, which carrots don't have. Eating carrots that are organic and haven't been scrubbed is a popular topic on vegan message boards because in so doing you ingest bacteria that contain cobalamin. You're right about the yogurt, though, so it's moot. Smile

It doesn't look like either carrots or yogurt contain significant amounts of magnesium, which is essential, but it's in higher amounts than either iron or sodium relative to recommended intake.

Low iron would cause anemia, but since red blood cells live for about 90 days it would take a while before it became a problem. I'm not exactly sure how long it would take to develop the initial symptoms of hyponatremia (muscle weakness, cramps, headache, etc), since it would depend how active you were and how many carrots and how much yogurt you were ingesting. Your body does a good job of conserving salt normally lost through urination, but if you were getting a tiny fraction of the 1,500mg recommended then I would bet (guess) that it would take fewer than 90 days to see symptoms. I know athletes can become hyponatremic in a matter of hours, and the range between normal (135-145meq) and severe (<125meq) is not that broad. So that's my best wild guess: less than 90 days.
eureka00

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soylent_(food_substitute)

This might interest you. I've read quite a bit about the Soylent trials (I'd never try it), which is why I strongly discourage you trying just a carrot/yogurt diet. Look at all the ingredients in it plus he talks about all the careful measuring that was necessary. Even with all that, it still probably isn't perfect.
DeD CHiKn

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personal, not family, references. Who should I use?

Are professional references allowed? Should I use my old contacts at work (most of whom I have known for 6 years) or should I stick to people who know me on the outside?

I need 3, was going to use my old professor as one since we associate outside of class now that it's over. The other two are stumping me. I figured a life long family acquaintance since they've known me for 25 years, but is that too personal?
eureka00

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DeD CHiKn wrote:
Personal, not family, references. Who should I use?

Are professional references allowed? Should I use my old contacts at work (most of whom I have known for 6 years) or should I stick to people who know me on the outside?

I need 3, was going to use my old professor as one since we associate outside of class now that it's over. The other two are stumping me. I figured a life long family acquaintance since they've known me for 25 years, but is that too personal?

The professor, someone from previous job, and the family friend should be fine.
Heretical Rants

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was about to calculate the amount of carrots needed for a lethal dose of potassium-40-related radiation poisoning but then it occurred to me that that was total bullshit for all of the reasons.
DeD CHiKn

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eureka00 wrote:

That's what I thought, was just worried a family friend would be "too personal to give a proper critique."

Thank you.
eureka00

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DeD CHiKn wrote:
eureka00 wrote:

That's what I thought, was just worried a family friend would be "too personal to give a proper critique."

Thank you.

My husband had a family friend be a reference for him for his first job out of nursing school. I would think as long as the family friend has a good steady job and can identify those same qualities in you then all should be good.
mouse

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, you kinda want someone who will say really good things about you.

and actually, old family friends can be dangerous that way, if they start telling stories about that thing you did back that one time....hopefully he/she hasn't known you long enough to have embarrassing baby pictures of you.
eureka00

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mouse wrote:
well, you kinda want someone who will say really good things about you.

and actually, old family friends can be dangerous that way, if they start telling stories about that thing you did back that one time....hopefully he/she hasn't known you long enough to have embarrassing baby pictures of you.

Agreed, I would hope the old family friend would be professional in their reference. My husband's family friend was a former principal and dean of a community college, so his name carried some weight around town.
ShadowCell

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i work at walmart now. stockroom. bleh. gotta start somewhere. walmart is weird, though. s'like if North Korea was capitalist. my everything is sore. also i'm fairly sure i am now complicit in some massive economic/social/moral injustice, but then again, being perfectly morally upright and respectable don't appear to pay dem billz.

anyway i got work boots, because the first day on the job i found a gigantic staple in the sole of my normal shoes and i don't want to find any that make their way into my flesh. the boots fit fine and i have inserts for arch support. the second day, the first with the work boots, was fine. today, my left ankle hurts like all fuck. stabbing pain, especially if i have to pivot. feels like something keeps rubbing the bone. spent most of the day limping around the store. it's okay without the boots, and so far my right foot is okay.

so, uh, wtf wat do
Yinello

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is your left foot slightly smaller than the right? I know with my new short boots, I had pain in my left ankle because the balance of the short heel wasn't very good (kept wobbling even on a flat road) and my left foot is slightly smaller than my right.

Q: Anyone have any advice on easy bride hairstyles? My family keeps yelling about hairdressers but none of them are open in my area on a Monday morning. Maybe with a plastic flower or a tiara.

Last edited by Yinello on Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:33 am; edited 1 time in total
ShadowCell

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nope, my feet are the same size
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Casual Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 748, 749, 750 ... 753, 754, 755  Next
Page 749 of 755

Jump to: