welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Questions and Answers
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 754, 755, 756  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sam

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 5:49 am    Post subject: plz say no Reply with quote

If my heart feels like it has a sore cold-burn kind of feeling over a couple of days, am I going to die?
MsFrisby

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sklent wrote:
Should I pursue a relationship with a co-worker, or is that a bad idea even if we only see each other maybe an hour or two out of the week? (She works at the front of the store and I work in the back.)

Since she isn't your boss or your subordinate, you don't work terribly closely together, and you don't work in the same department, I don't really see a problem with going for it. Smile
MsFrisby

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 5:56 am    Post subject: Re: plz say no Reply with quote

Sam wrote:
If my heart feels like it has a sore cold-burn kind of feeling over a couple of days, am I going to die?

As long as it isn't accompanied by severe dizziness, vision loss, extreme fatigue (ha), shortness of breath or shooting pains down your arm. If I know anything about medicine (which I know mostly from reading and family and personal medical history) if it's just a pain in your heart region, and your eating patterns are the same as they usually are (one enormous meal a day), then I'm going to say you've probably developed a stomach ulcer. Or maybe acid reflux.
kame

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

*hugs MsFris* it's nice to have it confirmed, though there should be no need.
Major Tom

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

do you think bush and co. will get away with all the crap they've pulled? (and why)
WhupAs101

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am generally an unhappy person, though I can't see as I have any reason to be. What exactly is my problem, and how do I fix it without some kind of medication?
nathan

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is a modern, occasionally (but intentionally) ungrammatical, pointedly colloquial Style the next inevitable linguistic evolution in serious poetry and literature, or is it, as the argument goes, just a lazy exercise of the philologically inept?

Is the gap between actual spoken English and proper written English too wide for one to be fully functionally representative of the other?

Where does one draw the line, when writing, and why?
donut3point5

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why is pickle so damn fun to say?
--donut3.5--
Celaeno

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you were to create three Sinfest couples that you think might actually have a shot at working, who would they be and why?
MsFrisby

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Major Tom wrote:
do you think bush and co. will get away with all the crap they've pulled? (and why)

I believe most of it will be given a pass legally, but will be condemned in history books. If they are held accountable for any of their illegal/deplorable actions in a court of law, I will be surprised. Although I'm not ruling it out, I think people have become much less inclined to "rock the boat" as it were. I am encouraged by the results of the recent election, but am not overwhelmed with excitement, either. I am willing to wait and see if a progressive trend is on its way, or if this was a brief blip on the march of "faith by the swor... I mean.. legislation."
MsFrisby

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WhupAs101 wrote:
I am generally an unhappy person, though I can't see as I have any reason to be. What exactly is my problem, and how do I fix it without some kind of medication?

I happen to be reading a book that put your question in mind several times.

Quote:
We, as individual spiritual beings, are solely repsonsible for much of how our life plays out, because our thoughts and beliefs creat our reality. In other words, it's not my experiences in the world that define me, but, rather, my thoughts about my experiences that create and define the experience.

Every experience can be interpreted in any number of ways. For example, if someone cuts me off in traffic, I can see it as infuriatingly rude and annoying and let it put me in a nasty mood for the whole day. Or I can choose to percieve the experience differently, maybe seeing that road-raged person as just having a bad day and clearly deprived of good sex. I step back from the whole scene, observe it from a distance, and don't really let it touch me. It's my choice. This is oneof the most difficult lessons of all: realizing that when it comes down to it, you can't really blame anybody or anything outside of yourself for ruining your day, your year, your life. Not "evil" terrorists or dysfunctional families or the nasty she-bully from seventh grade, not lousy bosses or a broken heart or really bad hair. The bottom line: I may not be able to control my life, but I can choose how I want to act in response to it, and it's these reactions that create and determine my experience. The responsibility is mine and no one else's.

Quote:
Setting your intention is a bit like offering up an invocation to the univers. You place your desire out in the world, as an energized thought, a pregnant idea, an open prayer. You envision how you would like to be, to feel, to progress. Just make sure you use positive phrasing and avoid stting your intentions in the negative; for example, not "please don't let me screw up this new relationship" but rather "I intend to be healthy and loving in this relationship." No matter what the intention, be sure to state it from your heart. You can set an intention for the coming day, week, year, or lifetime, or just for the moment you are in right now. It's really that simple. If you don't have a specific intention to set, just sit still, check in with your heart, and start sensing how you would ideally want to feel in your job, in your personal relationships, in your body, in your life, in your relationship with the divine. Hold these feelings strongly for a moment in your mind and heart, and then release them, breathe them out into the world.

So, what it boils down to is that you need to have in mind where you WANT to be, how you WANT to feel and be mindful of it. State your intention to follow it. Realize that you are responsible for your feelings because you are responsible for what you think about.

Also, try to find the little pleasures. I know it can be hard sometimes, but look at things and be amazed. Don't drag your baggage around with you. Check it. Sometimes you have to shoulder it, but don't feel obliged to drag it all through every moment of every day, either. Let yourself be a small cup of joy and share it. Smile with people, laugh, be silly and not so worried about your ego, give comfort and hope to others, and you'll be surprised at how much happier you are in your own life.
crossbow

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that's sweet. what book is it?
MsFrisby

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nathan wrote:
Is a modern, occasionally (but intentionally) ungrammatical, pointedly colloquial Style the next inevitable linguistic evolution in serious poetry and literature, or is it, as the argument goes, just a lazy exercise of the philologically inept?

Is the gap between actual spoken English and proper written English too wide for one to be fully functionally representative of the other?

Where does one draw the line, when writing, and why?

1. I think it has its own place, and can definitely be "serious" poetry. I do not ever fear, however, the homogenization of poetry. I find breaking rules can be very freeing, allowing the writer to connect in new ways to the reader. I don't find it all to be lazy, but I do believe that it is laziness if they never even attempt to write good form/grammatically correct poetry. One must look at the individual work's merits, and also the poet's work in entirety.

2. Nope. Not as far as I'm concerned. Just because I speak differently than I write doesn't mean that English as a written language is an ineffective medium for English as a spoken language. I think that each informs and enriches the other.

3. What kind of line are we speaking of? The line between spoken and written uses of english?
MsFrisby

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

donut3point5 wrote:
Why is pickle so damn fun to say?
--donut3.5--

Because you stick your tongue out a little at the end of the word. Razz
MsFrisby

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Celaeno wrote:
If you were to create three Sinfest couples that you think might actually have a shot at working, who would they be and why?

Razz

Besides those who are already couples, I suppose.

Amythest Shadow and Van

Deranged and bottom angel

Fenris and crimson wolf

Please don't make me explain these. I really can't other than to say they have an underlying similarity of thought and expression. I wouldn't actually presume to match people up if they hadn't met IRL.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Casual Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 754, 755, 756  Next
Page 2 of 756

Jump to: