welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Questions and Answers
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 685, 686, 687 ... 753, 754, 755  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
trustedfaith

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kitten wrote:
This is only a hunch, but is this gas station not one of the main brand name ones (e.g. Shell, Mobile, etc.)? If it isn't, which is usually the case when I see notes about extra credit card charges in CA, it's most likely because these smaller stations don't get as much profit and so they need to cut their losses with these credit card fees that they have to pay to the bigger companies, whereas Shell and Mobile's company expands across the nation so they don't need to pinch all their profits from their customers.

Also, you can see this happen with family owned restaurants. They're more likely to cut losses in profits by charging their customers a fee for using a credit card to pay, whereas the chain restaurants don't do this, generally.

Even the main brand name gas stations do it because the gas station owners do not put a big markup on it. So that's why. They want to keep what little markup there is on the gas.

And you're right -- you will see other places doing this that are smaller places that might not get as good of a percentage fee with Visa as say a bigger company.

Either way, debit cards and the credit card companies are the ones that perpetuated this.
mouse

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, one guess would be that it would be really hard for other business to do that. gas stations only sell gas, maybe 3 different kinds - real easy to post two prices on only 3 items. if you have a store where there are many, many items - what do you do? post two prices on every item? have a sign that there will be a markup at the checkstand? easier just to put in a little extra on the price of everything, and everyone ends up paying that, whether they do it using cash or credit cards.

so i guess what i am really think is, other places probably do charge more to cover credit card fees - they just charge everyone, and don't explicitly tell us how much.
Michael

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is why I always use bitcoins to buy my gas.
Dogen

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've heard that gas has fairly small margins before, also. That's why the convenience store is so expensive, apparently. To make the profits.
Lasairfiona

Location: I have to be somewhere? ::runs around frantically::

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dogen wrote:
I've heard that gas has fairly small margins before, also. That's why the convenience store is so expensive, apparently. To make the profits.

Consider this completely and utterly confirmed. I know people that have managed convenience stores.
WheelsOfConfusion

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are fractals open curves, or closed curves?
Heretical Rants

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 3:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wouldn't that depend on the fractal?

That would be tricky to prove either way, though.
Interesting question thar.
trustedfaith

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm really confused now. Ever since I quit smoking in August my mind and thoughts have been all over the place. I equated it to my brain relearning how to be a brain without nicotine and assumed that eventually it would taper off once I got some time under my belt....

...I have three months under my belt now and it's not tapering off. Sad Someone suggested it's an ADD thing so I go reading up adult ADD and it's like someone just listed the ten most common things Jen does that makes life way more miserable than it needs to be.

I've always been like the descriptions they gave for it -- I just assumed it was me being lazy and like everyone said "not applying myself."

Does anyone know more about ADD in adults or have it to give me a little more information about it before I call my doc to tell them that I am nuts?
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WheelsOfConfusion wrote:

Ask Joey (aka Mr Meddler), he does fractal art and whatnot.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Usagi Miyamoto

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 2:27 am    Post subject: Oh, hey, a quarter! Reply with quote

trustedfaith wrote:
Does anyone know more about ADD in adults or have it to give me a little more information about it before I call my doc to tell them that I am nuts?

Oh, yeah, I've been "enjoying" ADD for my entire life. First of all, your suspicions about the effects of nicotine withdrawal acting like ADHD are well founded. It can even persist for months afterward, as your brain chemistry has been profoundly affected by nicotine for a long time, and getting back to "normal" can take a while. But if you had ADHD in the first place and then quit smoking, that's even tougher.

trustedfaith wrote:
I've always been like the descriptions they gave for it -- I just assumed it was me being lazy and like everyone said "not applying myself."

This is a classic sign of ADHD. If these effects were new with quitting smoking, then you could probably count on them clearing up on their own - eventually. On the other hand, adults diagnosed with one of the various types of ADHD can almost always point to a continuous string of incidents back to early childhood that were indicators of something not quite right.

For a quick overview, you could do worse than WebMD:
Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder: ADHD in Adults

There's also the CDC with a summary of the diagnostic criteria:
CDC - ADHD, Symptoms and Diagnosis

And their ADHD homepage has plenty of linkage to more resources:
CDC - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD) Homepage

There are books about the condition, but I don't know of any worth recommending. I had trouble finishing the ones I got, like Delivered from Distraction. YMMV.

The two main prongs to treatment are drugs and behavioral therapy. I recommend behavioral therapy regardless of whether you go for drugs, because doing things to simplify, track and organize your life will help either way.

There are lots of drugs available, and I've tried almost all of them. Some, like methylphenidate (Ritalin, Concerta, Focalin XR) had no discernable effect in me, other than an elevated resting heart rate, even at very high doses, but they've been very effective for others. Some people have success with non-stimulant atomoxetine (Strattera) but those people do not include me. There are reports that modafinil (Provigil) works for some people, but it just keeps me up all night. I've had better results with amphetamine and dexamphetamine salts (Adderall, Adderall XR) and I'm currently taking lisdexamphetamine (Vyvanse) every day. It doesn't have the lightswitch like effect on me that it does on some people, but it does help with focus. When I skip a dose, I feel mentally tired, and effect that can last about three days if I go off the drug entirely, but then I'm back to normal, or maybe I should say non-drugged normal, which is more scattered, forgetful and distractable.

On the behavioral front, I can tell you a few things I've done. I try to maintain a certain routine for where I put things, like my keys and phone and coat, so I can grab them all and check them off in the morning. I use a pill-minder so I can track if I've taken my drugs and vitamins for the day, and no fret that I missed one - I load it up five weeks at a time, so I'm not constantly opening up the prescription bottles. I keep post-it pads all over the house, bathrooms, kitchen, nightstand, the office, with a supply of pencils by each, so I can capture thoughts wherever I am and take them with me. I've installed an app called Evernote on my phone and all my computers, so I can transfer my post-it thoughts to the cloud if it's something that will take a while or that I'll need reminders about. I use Outlook's calendar and sync it between work and home and my phone, and I have it set to give me reminders at least a half-hour in advance, because the default fifteen minutes is not usually enough if I've completely spaced a doctor's appointment or the like. For work issues where I need to focus for a while, there are apps that support the Pomodoro Technique - looks like there's a new one that's better than what I was using, maybe I'll try it - Pomodairo. When I remember to use it, it works, but I forget. Some people swear by the Getting Things Done techniques and tools, but I find they're too much work for someone with ADD.

If you suspect ADD, or as the DSM-IV-TR currently puts it, ADHD, Predominantly Inattentive Type, then that's absolutely something to bring up with your doctor, and for diagnosis and support, you can see a psychologist or psychiatrist. A psychologist may be better at helping with the behavioral changes, but will need to work with your doctor for prescriptions, whereas the psychiatrist can prescribe them directly. The controlled substance prescriptions (Ritalin and Adderall, etc.) must be renewed every thirty days, so you'll be seeing your doctor a lot, if only for a short time, if you try them.
trustedfaith

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh wow... that's a wealth of information. Thanks so much Usagi. You really rock for that. I'm going to check out those links.

I know that my body is still going through changes now that I don't smoke -- but I know it should start tapering off and I feel like it's only getting worse?

Especially at work and school right now. At work, I can't stay focused on something for more than five minutes. I literally have to get up from my desk, walk around, and try to sit down and regroup to try and keep my focus on finishing a project. This goes well beyond my normal procrastination.

At school, I've always procrastinated -- I'm procrastinating right now. I have a test tomorrow and I'm writing this instead. Ugh... it's to the point now where I wait until the last possible second before I start to do anything for my class. I've procrastinated before, but not as bad as it's gotten currently.

I've always procrastinated -- I can't ever remember a point in my life that I haven't down to when I was five years old and I was putting off the projects I needed to do to get badges as a Brownie.

I was always told in school that I'm very intelligent, I just don't apply myself. If I had a penny for every teacher and counselor that told me and my parents that....Yet when I had classes like "Creative Writing" it was an easy and fun A.

I stress out every day finding things. I am so disorganized at home that I lose my phone and keys on a daily basis. They're in spots that I don't even remember putting them in. It's news to me when I happen across them that they're there. I've made myself late so many times because I go to grab my keys or my phone right as I'm walking out the door and they're nowhere to be found. I do this all the time.

I always forget to take my medications. When I have to take something daily, I set two alarms on my phone to remind me to take them. I will forget. I forget appointments a lot. It's not uncommon to have a doctor's office or salon call me to ask me why I'm not there.

I feel impatient yet overwhelmed. I have five different side projects sitting around collecting dust because I started them and haven't finished them.

I don't sit still when I sit down. I am one of those people that has to shake/wiggle my foot rapidly while I do.

I struggle with long stories people tell me. If I can't interupt or interject I lose interest. I've mastered the science of not looking vacant when I know I am not giving them the undivided attention they deserve.

All of this stuff is news to me that it's abnormal. I thought ADD/ADHD people were spaz types bouncing off the walls. I made an appointment either way if I am or not diagnosed with it. Something has to give.

I do want to check out those links though because I know if I practiced a few different strategies I don't have to make my life as miserable.
Heretical Rants

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darqcyde wrote:
WheelsOfConfusion wrote:

Ask Joey (aka Mr Meddler), he does fractal art and whatnot.

Nah, you want a topologist.

which is something that I am not, but I've still been thinking about this.

I'm fairly certain things like the Koch snowflake are closed curves. Others are obviously open curves.

other sorts of fractal curves are more problematic

the Mandelbrot fractal might not even be a curve at all -- are the boundary points locally connected? dunno.
...someone's proved that the set is connected, but...

I don't know much topology.
trustedfaith

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there any way to turn off certain avatars for people or does it do it across the board on here? I can't stand Kitten's avatar and I want to remove it. I'm avatar dumb, mind you.
DeD CHiKn

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ad block?
Heretical Rants

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, you can tell your browser not to load specific domains or even specific images. adblock is one way to do that, I suppose.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Casual Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 685, 686, 687 ... 753, 754, 755  Next
Page 686 of 755

Jump to: