welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Questions and Answers
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 690, 691, 692 ... 753, 754, 755  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
WheelsOfConfusion

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Loose Change, the 9/11 Truther bunch? I think it's normal to feel violent towards them after any small length of time.
Usagi Miyamoto

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 7:33 am    Post subject: Only believe half the lies they tell about me Reply with quote

trustedfaith wrote:
Ok so I've been on these things for a week now. She gave me 5mg of Adderall IR to take twice a day (on the days that I have class after work and need it).

I suspect this is just to make sure you can tolerate the medication, because it sounds like a dose appropriate for a grade-schooler. Unless you are unusually petite, you'll probably need a larger dose for optimum effect. Adults often take total doses in the 20-70mg range daily, though I think 30-40mg is typical.

There's also some choice involved in terms of longer-lasting medications. The instant release tablets ramp up within minutes, like drinking coffee, but they also have the shortest duration of effect, perhaps two or three hours. The IR tablets are usually* quite a bit less expensive, since they're available as a generic, and they are probably ideal for an evening class when you want to be focused for a couple of hours, but then you want to be able to sleep.

There are also XR capsules, which break down slowly, releasing the medication in stages for a longer-lasting effect. It's sort of like taking some fraction of the medication in instant form every couple of hours, so it lasts for six or eight hours - a whole school day or work day. The downside, if you're paying out of pocket, is that they cost lots more - like, five to ten times as much as generic IR. I believe there is also a generic XR available, but it's still expensive.

Vyvanse has to be metabolized to become effective, which makes it have the gentlest onset and also helps it last a long time, like the XR product, but without the "surge" effect the XR caps can have. It's the newest drug, so there's no generic available, and it costs about the same as non-generic Adderall XR, give or take a factor of two.

All these drugs have prices that vary more than you would expect. And the Adderall XR is priced about the same per capsule whether the dose is 20mg or 70mg, which seems odd, but does have some off-the-wall economic justification, since the caps can't be split. Since I have nice insurance, the various drugs all cost me the same amount out of pocket. If I had to pay the whole price myself, then I'd consider the economic benefits to staggering a few IR tablets, or even half tablets, over the course of the day, against the user-friendlier profiles of the extended release forms.

*Usually being the operative term, as a year ago there was a shortage of the generic that drove prices up to brand name levels, and it took a while to come down again. There were no good explanations about why.
Lasairfiona

Location: I have to be somewhere? ::runs around frantically::

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shop around for your meds! Very few places will post their prices but they will run the cost for you to let you know if you call them. Costco posts their prices but they don't post Adderall (no, I don't know why). I did find that Costco carries my medication for 1/3 the price of other pharmacies a couple years back and is sometimes worth the yearly membership even if there isn't a Costco nearby.
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lasairfiona wrote:
Shop around for your meds! Very few places will post their prices but they will run the cost for you to let you know if you call them. Costco posts their prices but they don't post Adderall (no, I don't know why). I did find that Costco carries my medication for 1/3 the price of other pharmacies a couple years back and is sometimes worth the yearly membership even if there isn't a Costco nearby.

My guess is drug abuse issues.
From Wiki:
Quote:
Adderall, as an amphetamine product, is used recreationally for its euphoric and stimulant properties.[56] Prescription amphetamine is often obtained by those with a prescription and diverted and sold to those who do not have a prescription.[57] As a Schedule II drug, Adderall is considered to have a high potential for misuse and a high liability for dependence.[58][59] Amphetamine has the potential to cause withdrawal (mainly psychological) symptoms when ceasing use.[60]

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Mr_Moustache

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dex is pretty tasty. Ritalin is prob my DOC price/effect wise, if mixed with alcohol. And using it for work/study is pretty effective as well. But yeah, after actually using a few of them (Modafinil still my favorite there) I am skeptic on the whole ADD/ADHD thing. I mean, giving people amphetamines to work/focus better has been going on for a while. It is only now that instead of bomber pilots, the 9-5 workforce has to be 'corrected'.

Interestingly, the NY Times [url] is doing a thing on it, focusing especially on the use of the drugs on children. If people want to read up some more.

fritterdonut

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr_Moustache wrote:
Dex is pretty tasty.

Would you be referring to Dextromethorphan, because I've heard some pretty awful stories from friends who thought they were dying/dead and had all sorts of weird stuff going on.
Dogen

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They're talking about ADD/ADHD meds, so probably dexedrine. Dextromethorphan is cough medicine...
Him

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

concerta mixed (and I do mean mixed) with alcohol makes for a pretty horrible hangover. That's my 2 cent. had to smoke two blunts just to fall asleep around noon the day after. not as pleasant as it might seem.
Mr_Moustache

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have heard that, but I never notice between a regular hangover + concerta. Also, concerta last last a lot longer then IR and some pills are also monster dosages.... tbh, the 40-50 mg ones have been some of the longest and slightly unpleasant rec drugs I tried so far; here I have 10 mg IR and a half already does the job. And then to imagine that the guy I got them from was taking 90 mg a day.... *shudders*

And yeah, Adderall is about 75% dexamphetamine. DXM has little repeat value. It is not so much fun (actually can be rather terrible) as it can be interesting for some people to just get delirious; hardcore psychonauts. Most people try it once and then move on and strike it of the list. Same as salvia really.
trustedfaith

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Usagi, yes, she did that because I was worried that it would make my heart race and me jittery because it's a stimulant/upper. I normally don't do well with that sort of stuff. However, this hasn't had any effect on my heart or given me any jitters. I see her Thursday to tweak the dose.

Thanks for the idea Las, never thought to shop around the local pharmacies. I wonder if any of them will be cheaper than Medco? Medco is pretty cheap. I can get three months supply of generics for twenty bucks with my insurance. My doctor has to send over my diagnosis to the insurance for approval first. When they approve it, they'll cover the med like the rest of mine. $10 copay at local pharmacies and $20 for a three month supply mailed through Medco.

As far as believing in ADD/ADHD stuff. I'm sure everyone is ADD and ADHD to a certain extent and will benefit briefly from something that affects how they concentrate. However, I do believe that there are severity levels of that.

Also, for those of you taking it for kicks -- you're the reason why I have to go through all this red tape just to be prescribed it. So thanks dicks. Smile

P.S. Thanks Usagi for the help again. I'll let you know what she says on Thursday.
Mr_Moustache

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it is any consolation, straight up amphetamine HCL is about 5-10 dollars a gram back in Holland , so it is not that difficult to get Wink
Canopus

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trustedfaith wrote:
Also, for those of you taking it for kicks -- you're the reason why I have to go through all this red tape just to be prescribed it. So thanks dicks. Smile

Hear hear!
Mr Gary

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr_Moustache wrote:
If it is any consolation, straight up amphetamine HCL is about 5-10 dollars a gram back in Holland , so it is not that difficult to get Wink

You back in the 'Dam late January mate? I'm asking for a, uh, friend ...

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I won't be Sad But you'll have fun without me regardless, so enjoy!
Snorri

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr Gary wrote:
Mr_Moustache wrote:

You back in the 'Dam late January mate? I'm asking for a, uh, friend ...

Don't worry, you can stand on the street and shout "I wanna buy drugs!" without a problem.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Casual Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 690, 691, 692 ... 753, 754, 755  Next
Page 691 of 755

Jump to: