welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Questions and Answers
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 732, 733, 734 ... 755, 756, 757  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Heretical Rants

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stripeypants wrote:
How does one hold a sťance?

Step 1) do whatever you want
Step 2) use whatever special effects, or lack thereof, that you want (refer to step one)

if you want it to feel more real on a gut level, make heavy use of cold reading, Barnum statements, etc

if you want more entertainment value, make use of props and toys, musical instruments, etc -- let ghosts/spirits 'manipulate' them

you could also ignore the moneygrubbing tactics of every successful psychic ever and discuss questions like what is it like to be a ghost, by what mechanism do you persist after death, etc -- maybe you could use the answers to invent a whole new religion and become a millionaire playboy cult leader

or something else entirely
play a game of pool and pretend the table is haunted, idk
Yinello

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone know if you can just rent a nice evening gown and act like it's a wedding dress? I don't really want to buy one, they're so expensive for something you wear for a day, but a lot of the rentable wedding dresses are so... meh.

My sister and mom are acting like it's a HUGE deal that I should get a wedding dress but pff. I ain't made o' money.
Heretical Rants

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pffffff

wear whatever you want

yeesh

/unhelpful voice in the crowd
Yinello

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heretical Rants wrote:
pffffff

wear whatever you want

yeesh

/unhelpful voice in the crowd

OKAY

*wears sweatpants*

Nah jk I really want a dress. I think I'll go for wine red.
Dogen

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you get married someplace really warm, on the beach, then people seem more supportive of sundresses and sarongs and whatnot. I say this with years of experience not planning weddings. I went to some, though, and one was on a beach and the bride had flowers in her hair and wore a sundress and the Westboro Baptist Church didn't show up to protest it or anything.
Felgraf

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dogen wrote:
If you get married someplace really warm, on the beach, then people seem more supportive of sundresses and sarongs and whatnot. I say this with years of experience not planning weddings. I went to some, though, and one was on a beach and the bride had flowers in her hair and wore a sundress and the Westboro Baptist Church didn't show up to protest it or anything.

Beach weddings are a bit of an issue because the sand gets into *EVERYTHING*.

I mean, I imagine tux's are uncomfortable enough (... I will find out in... about two months. It is very weird to know I will be married soon. o.o), but a tux/formal shoes *with sand in them*?
"No, but evil is still being --Is having reason-- Being reasonable! Mousie understands? Is always being reason. Is punishing world for not being... Like in head. Is always reason. World should be different, is reason."
-Ed, from Digger
Dogen

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't wear shoes on the beach? Married barefoot! Throw away convention! Wear your pants on your head!
Yinello

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We're not going to a beach haha Very Happy I love the idea myself but I have too many nerd friends who will get cooked.
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dogen wrote:
Don't wear shoes on the beach? Married barefoot! Throw away convention! Wear your pants on your head!

This would be a GREAT theme wedding Very Happy

Oh and yeah, it's YOUR day, not your mom's or sister's day. You are fully allowed to be as selfish as you want to be in your choices. Regardless of how upset or pissed off anyone else gets, as long as it's ok with you and your spouse (since it's their day as well) then you'll be a lot less likely to have any sort of regrets in the future.

Also, if I haven't said it already, congrats on the impending nuptials.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Dogen

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yinello wrote:
We're not going to a beach haha Very Happy I love the idea myself but I have too many nerd friends who will get cooked.

Any non-traditional venue that requires mixing up the wardrobe would work... get married in an ice hotel and wear jackets and coats. Get married underwater in a swimming pool and wear wetsuits (those you can definitely rent). Get married on horseback by a rodeo clown while wearing western wear. Whatever. Make it fun, wear whatever.
Dogen

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My idea of a perfect wedding - and this has never really been tested with a woman willing to marry me - is a practically non-existent (and thus cheap) ceremony and then spend whatever money I have on the reception. Less spectacle, more party. That's how I roll.
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dogen wrote:
My idea of a perfect wedding - and this has never really been tested with a woman willing to marry me - is a practically non-existent (and thus cheap) ceremony and then spend whatever money I have on the reception. Less spectacle, more party. That's how I roll.

This. Yeah, we eloped, so we're planning on doing a ceremony for renewing our vows.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why does frozen corn have 0g fiber yet canned corn has 2g?
eureka00

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, some friends of my brother did a Star Wars themed wedding. You could wear Jedi robes. \o/
Celaeno

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's your day. You can TOTALLY rent a normal evening dress and wear it as a wedding gown.

Alternatively (one of my friends did this), try second hand shops. I wouldn't, you know, go straight to Goodwill or the Salvation Army, but try local consignment shops. If you don't mind hunting a bit, you can definitely get a good deal on something awesome (because someone ELSE took the less rational route, got a ridiculously expensive dress she couldn't afford, and now has it sitting in a consignment shop to make a fraction of the money back).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Casual Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 732, 733, 734 ... 755, 756, 757  Next
Page 733 of 757

Jump to: