welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Questions and Answers
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 752, 753, 754, 755  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jinx

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought we had a, "What are you reading now," OSLT thread, but couldn't find one.

Anyway, has anyone read any of the Dresden Files books? Would you recommend them?
Finnegan

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jinx wrote:
I thought we had a, "What are you reading now," OSLT thread, but couldn't find one.

Anyway, has anyone read any of the Dresden Files books? Would you recommend them?

What are you reading . . . . Now?

it's in General Discussion

hey! rock bottom's not that bad
we've got glow-in-the-dark fish down here that's rad
Arc Tempest

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jinx wrote:

All but the one that's out next Tuesday, and yes.
Heretical Rants

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the Dresden Files are the only English-language thing I've listened to as an audio book in the last decade or so

The first few had a lot of things that annoyed me greatly, but might have been less annoying if I could have gone through them faster -- listening is a lot slower than reading. Part of it is that it took me several books to get to the point where I didn't hate the characters, and several more to actually get to like them.

I suppose one could make an audiobook go ~1.5 times faster than normal without the voices getting too grating, but that's still pretty slow. Even taking advantage of the freed-up hands and eyes to do other things, it's still pretty slow. So slow that one could easily read another book at the same time as the audiobook and twice as fast and still follow along with both. AUDIOBOOKS BLAARRGGHHGHGH
Jinx

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finnegan wrote:
Jinx wrote:

What are you reading . . . . Now?

it's in General Discussion

Thanks. My bad, I searched in Casual Chat.
Celaeno

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jinx wrote:

I read the first and thought it was fine but nothing special and kind of annoying. I'm friends with Fris on Goodreads, and I think she describes it best:
Quote:
Well, I kind of liked this book and kind of hated the women in this book. They were either all victims or weak or evil. *sigh* And I felt like the main character was a lot of geek wish-fulfillment.
Arc Tempest

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Y'know, I hadn't thought about it, but that is something of a problem with the series. You could make an argument for Murphy, Luccio, Georgia, Charity, or even Mab (once you understand her motivations) later in the series, but yeah... the first couple books don't really have a good female character.

(Early books Murph is just an asshole.)

That said, the quality of the series overall does improve quite a bit once you to and through Grave Peril.
Heretical Rants

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arc Tempest wrote:

yea

If I hadn't been doing the audiobook thing I would have barely even skimmed that particular conflict

but it isn't just the women - every significant character is terrible in the early books

and I lost interest completely in the later books

I don't even remember for sure which book I dropped the series on -- somewhere between book five and ten
or maybe as late as eleven
all I know is that I sort of vaguely know what happens in the first ten books and that I'd rather read pony fanfiction if I'm just reading for entertainment anyway -- and there isn't anything other than entertainment to be had from the series
Jinx

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arc Tempest wrote:
Y'know, I hadn't thought about it, but that is something of a problem with the series. You could make an argument for Murphy, Luccio, Georgia, Charity, or even Mab (once you understand her motivations) later in the series, but yeah... the first couple books don't really have a good female character.

That said, the quality of the series overall does improve quite a bit once you to and through Grave Peril.

Thanks for all of the feedback. Amazon was putting the Kindle versions on a 1-day sale for $1.99 each. Actually, just the first seven books, which I went ahead and bought. Since Grave Peril is the third book, I should have four good ones to read. =) I've read the first couple of chapters of Storm Front.

Based on what I read about the author and how he got started, Fris' comment doesn't surprise me.
Dogen

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you ever noticed that you can reword something, but you never word it? Clearly the root of reword is to word, but we never say, "You need to word this assignment."

I have a new goal.
Ennis

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dogen wrote:
Have you ever noticed that you can reword something, but you never word it? Clearly the root of reword is to word, but we never say, "You need to word this assignment."

I have a new goal.

I do believe "word it" is tumblrese for "write". In context:

"I have an assignment and I can't word at all."
stripeypants

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen the elsewhere, used by people who could very well be on Tumblr.

They also use the word 'brain' for thinking. "I can't brain today!" Which I really love.

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dogen

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great, I just invented tumblrspeak in a fit of inspiration.

For my next trick, let me anthropomorphize a shiba inu and tell you about it.
Ennis

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dogen wrote:
Great, I just invented tumblrspeak in a fit of inspiration.

For my next trick, let me anthropomorphize a shiba inu and tell you about it.

much original
very interest
such unique
wow
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Casual Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 752, 753, 754, 755  Next
Page 753 of 755

Jump to: