welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

You learn something every day.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 32, 33, 34

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yorick

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sometimes "producer" just means "I made a deal with someone."
Mr Gary

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, but not in the two cases mentioned.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I refuse to be deluded or misled by your facts, sir.
Mini J

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I want to know is what "Peter Jackson Presents" means when it comes to that new movie, District 9. All the ads I've seen say that during the promotion. He's not the director, writer, etc. Apparently his production company Wingnut Films is involved in the film, but who knows what that means...

So is this just an attempt to piggyback on his name?
Yorick

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

he's also a producer.

according to wikipedia (accurate 35% of the time or more!) Jackson was producing a HALO movie with the same director, and some part of the deal fell apart, but it was decided the director deserved to make something, so his short film about a ghetto for aliens was expanded.
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today I learned that there's a Jehovah's Witness Recovery group on Facebook which I guess comes form this website http://www.jehovahswitnessrecovery.com/

Seems legit enough, here's form the about us page

Quote:
Jehovah's Witness Recovery is an online resource and meeting place for all those who have been affected by the organization known as the Watchtower Society of Jehovah's Witnesses. It's aim is to provide recovery support for those who have decided to leave the religion and find themselves isolated by former friends and family due to the Watchtower's policy on shunning ex members.

The intention is not to maliciously attack or criticize current, active members of the Watchtower organization but rather, to compassionately support members who are going through the exit process.

JWR was founded and is maintained by a small group of former Jehovah's Witnesses. We do not seek or obtain financial profit for running this site. Our philosophy is one of care and concern for our fellows who find themselves isolated and alone after leaving the Watchtower. There are no membership fees required to access any information on this site; access is and will remain completely free.

We believe that the Watchtower is a dangerous organization that often causes irreperable harm to its members and former members. That is why we donate so much of our time and resources to provide support for those who have been negatively impacted by it. Our hope is that former members who find themselves alone and isolated will be able to find comfort in the sharing of their experiences, the compassion of other former members as well as access to a wealth of information on the Watchtower organization.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
dazedb42

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw a doco the other month about the same thing but it was for hassidic jews and another group for LDS's. Seems ostracising people from a community can be rather traumatic. We have the Exclusive Brethren here in Aus who do the same to ex members, cutting off all ties to family and basically shunning people.

I think that's what Jesus would do too.
Michael

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem with testifying against Jehova's witnesses is that they get the protection program.

sorry
DeD CHiKn

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dazedb42 wrote:
I think that's what Jesus would do too.

that or set them on fire and send them to hell.
E-boy

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've heard of 'recovery' support groups for nearly every religion I've ever encountered except buhdism... I can't imagine anyone being traumatized by buhdism. I suppose it could happen.... Somehow.

Sometimes it is more about the particular practitioners than the religion itself. There are catholic recovery groups, but also millions of catholics who, clearly, aren't traumatized. I started out catholic but, frankly, it scared the living shit out of me as a child. Growing up among mormons in Idaho I can't say I saw much 'shunning' inspite of the fact that about 90% of the professed mormons I knew not living in accordance with their religion. I will say that I lived there for two full years before I became fully accepted (that probably has more to do with small town life than religion).
Usagi Miyamoto

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

E-boy wrote:
I can't imagine anyone being traumatized by buhdism.

Two words: Soka Gakkai.
Actually, several Nichiren variants have the fundamentalist mindset to them, and can be a little caustic.

As an inactive (that is, non-practicing) Mormon (I've had enough practice, thank you very much) I can tell you that they're pretty much the opposite of ostracizing; they'd love to have us back. Generally the only ones to get the cold shoulder treatment are people that try to drag the church's name through the mud or otherwise publicly agitate against it somehow.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 32, 33, 34
Page 34 of 34

Jump to: