Welcome to the Fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Seeking help from EU Sinfesters
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jinx

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 12:28 pm    Post subject: Seeking help from EU Sinfesters Reply with quote

I want to do a small thing to surprise Mz. Love that I thought would be a straightforward matter, but is starting to cause me issues.

Every year at Christmas, she makes these wonderful cookies she calls Santa's Surprises. The key to these cookies (and the surprise) is that each is formed by encasing a Snickers Mini (also called Snickettes) in the cookie dough to form each cookie.

This past year, we've become acutely aware of the dangers of hydrogenated oils and trans-fats. Snickers in the U.S. contain hydrogenated oils, so they're on our list of foods we no longer allow ourselves.

However, I learned that Denmark had banned trans-fats in 2003. Looking online, I found the ingredients for Snickers in the EU, and they appeard to be hydrogenated oil free. I tried Ebay, and found one place in the UK that sold Snickers. Unfortunately, they won't ship to the States.

So, I'm hoping to find a Fester across the pond who would be willing to help me out a bit.

First, I'm trying to confirm that the ones sold over there don't have hydorgenated oils. (see ingredients listed below).

Second, I'd like to get some sent to me in the States. I will, of course, pay for the candy, postage, etc. I would prefer to get the Snickers Mini, but at this point, I ain't being that picky.

The ingredients I found for the UK ones listed online were:

Milk chocolate with soft nougat (14%), caramel centre (27%), fresh roasted peanuts (23%). Sugar, glucose syrup, peanuts, skimmed milk powder, cocoa, lactose, salt, lecithin, milk fat, vegetable fat, hydrolysed milk protein and many others.

I'm not sure if "vegetable fat" means hydrogenated or not.
Snorri

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could be both...

Teh Digital Dragon

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't seen any mini-snickers on sale around here, but I'll take a look tomorrow.
Jinx

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, tDD!!
Uncle Bebby

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mmmm, snickers in cookies...

I bet those cookies are cakey... mmmm
trustedfaith

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uhm, if you find out that you can get them from there... can you send me a batch of the cookies? Those sound so awesome. Hahah.
jwing

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Geez, I need to find the recipe my sister gave me years ago. A Rolo candy wrapped in chocolate dough. Best eaten warm, with the caramel all goooeeeyy...

I promise to post the recipe when I find it...
Halen

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love the fact that he's contemplating eating what effectively sound like heart-attacks in cake-form, and he's worried about the type of fats.

Dude! You're eating CHOCOLATE encased in COOKIE DOUGH. You're screwing your healthy eating in the arse with a spiked strap-on anyway. Who gives a flying shit about the type of fat!
Uncle Benny

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

european snickers give it that exotic flavor the family's been striving to find.

jinx just didn't wanna say that so he can still be one of us average joe/joettes.

but I know, oh yes, I know better.
Phen

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would guess those snickers sold here in Denmark would adhere to those rules, but since I'm pretty much a nobody at Sinfest, I doubt that it matters...
Him

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phen wrote:
I would guess those snickers sold here in Denmark would adhere to those rules, but since I'm pretty much a nobody at Sinfest, I doubt that it matters...
You joined on my birthday. That's got to count for something.
Nascimento

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even if they say there are no hydrogenerated oils in the Snickers doesn't necessarely mean there are no hydrogenerated oils in it.

They just forgot to mention it.
Jinx

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Halen,

I understand where you're coming from, but trans-fats are really just that bad!

It's like saying, "Dude, you're already drinking alcohol! Who cares if it's methanol or ethanol?"
Spanky

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know Jinx, it's hard to imagine anything worse for your health than snickers encased in cookie dough. Maybe a cinnabon and steak sandwich.
Mmmmmmmm...
Just try not to eat much else the day you munch on those heart attack inducing treats. It sounds delicious. Although, I'm sure adding cookie dough to anything would improve it.
Jinx

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right. But see, what I'm comparing is

Snickers without trans-fat in cookie dough

vs.

Snicker with trans-fat in cookie dough

I'm not claiming that these little bastards are health food, I'm just a) trying not to make them even worse for me; and b) getting my wife to make them at all. She won't use the U.S. Snickers. period.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Casual Chat All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: