welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Sinfest Random Image Post!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 637, 638, 639 ... 659, 660, 661  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jwadd

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In college I took a class on Jap History. There was literally a week/lecture we spent analyzing hello kitty and it marking the transitional period where japan figured out how to successfully market and sell cute as a commodity.

I have no use for this knowledge.
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jwadd wrote:
In college I took a class on Jap History. There was literally a week/lecture we spent analyzing hello kitty and it marking the transitional period where japan figured out how to successfully market and sell cute as a commodity.

Um, I think they, or you, may have skipped something crucial:

Wiki article on the term 'Jap' wrote:
Jap is an English abbreviation of the word "Japanese." Today it is generally regarded as an ethnic slur among Japanese minority populations in other countries, although English-speaking countries differ in the degree to which they consider the term offensive. In the United States, Japanese Americans have come to find the term controversial or offensive, even when used as an abbreviation. In the past, Jap was not considered primarily offensive; however, during and after the events of World War II, the term became derogatory.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Heretical Rants

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I disagree with jwadd and have less and less respect for him 'most every time he posts, but that's not why I'm here:

Honey Smut Cheerios
50 Shades of Grain

Heretical Rants

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just now looked it up, and it's really just cereals that have been soaked in booze.

So that's a thing now.
Huh.
mouse

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow - so you don't even have to pour the beer over your cereal yourself?

modern conveniences!
DeD CHiKn

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Living in the future Mouse.
DeD CHiKn

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jwadd

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darqcyde wrote:
jwadd wrote:

Um, I think they, or you, may have skipped something crucial:

Wiki article on the term 'Jap' wrote:
Jap is an English abbreviation of the word "Japanese." Today it is generally regarded as an ethnic slur among Japanese minority populations in other countries, although English-speaking countries differ in the degree to which they consider the term offensive. In the United States, Japanese Americans have come to find the term controversial or offensive, even when used as an abbreviation. In the past, Jap was not considered primarily offensive; however, during and after the events of World War II, the term became derogatory.

yeah I'm aware of that. However I had asian friends growing up, and they would all refer to each other in the slang for what their race was as a kind of familiarity thing.

i was just commenting on the hello kitty thing, people type shorthand online, and I challenge you to find a japanese person as pissed off about the term jap as a jew is about kike, or a black person about white people using nigga, etc.

HR youre kind of a dick btw.
Heretical Rants

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hrm

sometimes

what goes around comes around, I guess

and sometimes I'm not fair about it. I'd like to work on that. Although in your case, I dunno. You don't seem like a bad person in any of the ways that really matter-- you just have said a few things that I can't respect, often in ways that I can't respect, either. Maybe I should have kept quiet about that, or taken a minute or two to properly explain my objection to what you wrote instead of just offhandedly vomiting my general impression into this thread.

I'll also admit that part of my opinion of you has been colored by things that weren't entirely in your influence.

I'm not sorry, since you've proven yourself not to be above any of this, but I will try to improve.
Dogen

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jwadd wrote:
yeah I'm aware of that. However I had asian friends growing up, and they would all refer to each other in the slang for what their race was as a kind of familiarity thing.

I don't really want to get into this (that is, I don't care to argue about it), but surely you see the difference between using slang among friends who understand your intentions and using the term generally with people who don't? I mean, I have a lot of female friends who call themselves and each other bitches, but I don't walk around calling women bitches, because it's pretty clear that people would get the wrong idea.
DeD CHiKn

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dogen wrote:
jwadd wrote:

I don't really want to get into this (that is, I don't care to argue about it), but surely you see the difference between using slang among friends who understand your intentions and using the term generally with people who don't? I mean, I have a lot of female friends who call themselves and each other bitches, but I don't walk around calling women bitches, because it's pretty clear that people would get the wrong idea.

I cant be racist, I have a black friend.
ShadowCell

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jwadd wrote:
I challenge you to find a japanese person as pissed off about the term jap as a jew is about kike, or a black person about white people using nigga, etc.

as someone whose grandparents had all their property confiscated and got thrown into concentration camps by people who called them "Japs," please go fuck yourself with a rake.

thanks. C:
DeD CHiKn

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jwadd wrote:
I challenge you

I think we found one.
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jwadd wrote:
In college I took a class on Jap History.

Please tell me what school did you go to, so I know to never waste my money taking classes there. I mean, seriously, do you see the irony in what you said?

Also, I wonder how Tat feels? Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Feiticeira

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DeD CHiKn wrote:
I cant be racist, I have a black friend.

nono, it's:

I can casually refer to people as niggers because I have black friends who refer to themselves as such.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Casual Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 637, 638, 639 ... 659, 660, 661  Next
Page 638 of 661

Jump to: