Sinfest Forum Index Sinfest
welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Quantum Physics, anyone?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lasairfiona

Location: I have to be somewhere? ::runs around frantically::

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What the *bleep* Do We Know needs to be viewed as a transcendentalist movie, not a science movie. I love my librarian friend, but every time he suggests a movie to me I have to watch out for the bias. He was a hippy back in the day and has never lost the tendencies therefore he doesn't always look at the science as closely as he should. If you like that kind of thing for the philosophy, you should also check out Waking Life. My librarian friend likes both of them and they are good movies.
Lemontree

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Waking Life" was amazing! But though the subject material was fascinating.. I was more so in awe of the film technique used. It was the best physical representation of the dreamlike state I had ever seen.[/i]
Lasairfiona

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought so too. It was really great in that way though philosophy bugs me as a rule. I'm like "but what do you do about it!" Maybe I am missing something. ::sighs::

A Scanner Darkly uses the same techique. It is pretty crazy because they shoot the film and then they paint the slides.

Lemontree

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, cell-shading, like they use in a lot of video games these days.

Is "A Scanner Darkly" already out? I remember seeing the trailer for it and geeking out over it when I went to see "An Inconvenient Truth" .. but then I forgot about it.

Sad
Lasairfiona

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems to be out but limited. Strange... I want to see it too.
Lemontree

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oooh.. the website's a fun toy to play with.

http://wip.warnerbros.com/ascannerdarkly/

Although they have so much going on, my computer wants to punch me in the face for trying to access it.
Sam

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 8:12 pm    Post subject: thats what the bleep stands for rite?? Reply with quote

I'm glad that "What the hoary everfucking shit do we know" was called correctly as a bullshit movie.
BoySetsFire

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i had an economic geography professor who looked almost exactly like the balding, bearded professor with glasses sitting in the director's chair at the end of What the *bleep* Do We Know?

fascinating flick.
mouse

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lemontree wrote:
In regards to another of the interviewed experts......

Wiki wrote:
JZ Knight/Ramtha appears frequently in the film as a scientist or spiritual teacher of some kind. By the end of the film, during the credits, she is identified as the spirit "Ramtha" who is being "channeled" by "JZ Knight.". Knight was born Judith Darlene Hampton in Roswell, New Mexico. The spirit, Ramtha, whom she claims to channel, is "a 35,000 year-old warrior spirit from the lost continent of Lemuria and one of the Ascended Masters." (Knight speaks with an accent because English is not Ramtha's first language.)

um..... Rolling Eyes ok. I thought some of the things she was talking about were interesting but...... yeah. *shrug* Who am I to judge though?

In fact the entire Wikipedia article on it is rather informative and interesting. I still believe in some of the philisophical ideas they were trying to get across, but the gross scientific exaggeration they used to get these points across rather taints the image of the film in my mind. Where before I might've given this film a 7/10... I think now my opinion would be closer to a 4/10.

My how I love Wikipedia. I should've looked up that article before I posted. Although I think there are still interesting ideas behind Quantum Physics to be discussed here.

if you've learned to look at things like this more skeptically, then that's a good thing.

i learned about quantum physics a looooooong time ago, so i've forgotten much of it (also, i had a bit of a stressful experience with schroedinger's equation, and i blocked a lot out) - but the first wiki article you posted looked right. it _is_ an interesting subject - the problem is, a lot of people don't understand it too well, and they take what little they think they understand to extremes...and get really wild results.

i can believe that our thoughts, to a certain extent, do affect what happens to us, but for psychological rather than cosmic reasons. someone who believes they have bad luck, for example, will a) interpret a lot that happens to them as "bad luck" and b) perhaps not react in a way that would avoid the bad things that happen to them - because they think it is destined to happen to them, and what they do doesn't matter. probably if you made a study of positive and negative chance occurrances that affect people who believe they have bad luck, and people who believe they have good luck, there would be no difference - the difference would be in how each person interpreted what was happening.
Daugaard

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just read part of the Wikipedia article on Schrödinger's cat... Am I the only one that really don't get how observing the cat can in anyway change its state? Confused
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 9:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Quantum Physics, anyone? Reply with quote

Lemontree wrote:
Very Happy

So I just watched "What the *bleep* do we know?", last night. My brother had been raving about it for a while, so I put it on my Netflix queue and waited.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0399877/

Wikipedia wrote:
Quantum mechanics is a fundamental branch of theoretical physics.

Quantum mechanics was initially developed to explain the atom, especially the spectra of light emitted by different atomic species. The quantum theory of the atom developed as an explanation for the electron's staying in its orbital, which could not be explained by Newton's laws of motion and by classical electromagnetism.

This abstract mathematical object allows for the calculation of probabilities of outcomes of concrete experiments. For example, it allows to compute the probability of finding an electron in a particular region around the nucleus at a particular time. Contrary to classical mechanics, one cannot in general make predictions of arbitrary accuracy. For instance electrons cannot in general be pictured as localized particles in space but rather should be thought of as "clouds" of negative charge spread out over the entire orbit. These clouds represent the regions around the nucleus where the probability of "finding" an electron is the largest.

Since its inception, the many counter-intuitive results of quantum mechanics have provoked strong philosophical debate and many interpretations. The probabilistic nature of quantum mechanics predictions cannot be explained in terms of some other deterministic theory, and does not simply reflect our limited knowledge. Quantum mechanics provides probabilistic results because the physical universe is itself probabilistic rather than deterministic.

Besides the scientific breakdown of this theory, the movie goes into how such science affects us and the way we percieve the world. They talked of experiments where scientists have actually been able to photograph the SAME PARTICLE in two places at one time. About a scientist in Japan that did a study on water particles.. then flash froze the particles and photographed the shapes. The water molecules changed shape when barraged with a blessing from a zen budhist monk (looking alot like an intricate beautiful snowflake), and changed again when the word and thoughts of love were used on it.. and then became very chaotic when the phrase "I hate you so much. I want to kill you" was taped to the outside of the jar.

And so since our bodies are mostly made up of water... how do negative or positive thoughts effect our physical selfs?

It also talked of how we can control much of what happens to us... if we always seem to have bad luck.. alot of that might be our own subconscious attraction to it. A basic chemical addiction to that state of feeling. It also goes upon the theory that any situation has an unidentifiable number of possibilities floating around until we focus on the situation and then only one is there.

The thing about this whole science though.. is that its hard to describe, and I'm probably doing a horrible job at the moment. What I do know though, is that as I watched this film.. I wasn't surprised by much. Alot of what they talked of, were things I had felt to be true for quite sometime.

So yeah.. has anyone else seen this movie? Or read much about Quantum Physics?

If you are here to recruit for the cult, we already know all about it, so get the fuck outta my forum if that's your goal.

Otherwise, get smart, the movie is total bullshit

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Lasairfiona

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Little late to the party, Darqcyde. Already established that the movie is philosophy only.
Celaeno

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We were supposed to watch What the Bleep Do We Know for its philosophy? I didn't see anything to get out of it aside from the entertainment (and even that was in an oh, jeeze, this is wonderfully ridiculous way).

We watched it in a religious studies class, and the next day three of us came in with printouts of the Wikipedia article. My professor was kooky and has since not been rehired.

Isn't there a sequel coming out?
Marik

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 10:14 pm    Post subject: bleep! bleeeeeeeeep Reply with quote

Yeah, it'll be called "What the bleep are you going on about?"
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lasairfiona wrote:
Little late to the party, Darqcyde. Already established that the movie is philosophy only.

um...the I was under the impression that the producers of the movie have more dubious aims than that. I believe it was mouse that posted about it originally: It's a recruitment film, something WAY more sinister than a mere philosophical excercise. Whether it reflects distorted facts, is complete bs, or just introduces a philosophy is moot to me. The films roll as a first step in cult recruitment is what concerns me. This whole 'philosophy' really reminds me of this.

Also don't forget this: It is intended to be viewed as a science movie regardless how any of us feel it should be viewed.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 2 of 8

Jump to: