welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Transformers - Please don't suck!!!
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Agamemnon

Location: Studying somewhere. Or at least that's where I should be.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 3:18 am    Post subject: Transformers - Please don't suck!!! Reply with quote

I've been reading up on some of the early hubub on the Transformers live action movie. I've seen the teaser trailer and it really has whet my appetite. However, I have seen some renditions of Optimus Prime.

I am sorely disappointed

Here's some pics of Optimus

More pics of Optimus, Blackout, and Scorponok

Bumble Bee appearrs to be a new Camaro Why aren't they using a VW Bug?

How are these supposed to be sold as toys? What are they doing to my childhood?

Spielberg!!!!!!!!

P: They don't know we know they know we know. And Joey, you can't say anything!

J: Couldn't if I wanted to.
Feiticeira

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha, Michael Bay.

Good luck with that.
Sam

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 10:13 am    Post subject: calling all lame Reply with quote

It's a Michael Bay movie about a franchise of toys that was marketed to eight year old boys, about robots that lived on other planets and just happened totally by chance to each transform into things that strangely looked exactly like human vehicles and technologies from the 1980's. Then they crash-landed on the previously undiscovered earth.

But this movie has changed them again to be hipper more radicool robots from other planets that turn into 2000's vehicles and technology!! The movie is going to feature such things as a Chevy Camaro robot, a GMC Topkick robot, and a Pontiac Solstice robot. Which you know that we were all itching to see.
Marik

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 10:17 am    Post subject: heh Reply with quote

how could it go wrong
Yorick

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 12:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Transformers - Please don't suck!!! Reply with quote

Agamemnon wrote:
I've been reading up on some of the early hubub on the Transformers live action movie. I've seen the teaser trailer and it really has whet my appetite. However, I have seen some renditions of Optimus Prime.

I am sorely disappointed

that's what you get for looking at spoilers and "early" images.

Too many people are too up in arms about the designs. At this point, bitching isn't going to change anything. Let it succeed or fail on its own merits. The robot/vehicle designs won't mean anything if the story isn't there.

Agamemnon wrote:
Bumble Bee appearrs to be a new Camaro Why aren't they using a VW Bug?

Volkswagen doesn't want their vehicles or brand name associated with war in any way, shape, or fashion. Understandable, given that they exist because of a genocidal period in Germany's history that anyone would want to distance themselves from.

This is also why there isn't a Bumblebee Alternator toy. dammit.
And one of the reasons the "Classics" toy line coming this fall uses genericized vehicles.
I think they should have done the Alternator toy as a Mini, the current super-small car, but apparently Mini wasn't interested, or something. And then they put a transforming Mini on their website.
mantismag

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A. i think they're trying too hard to look cool as robots and not trying hard enough to look like they actually by some miracle of movie science could transform. i'm curious to see how they handle the transition. either they're going to need a hell of a lot of joins which magically seal without a seam or the metal is going to have to bend into those shapes.

B. does it really matter what vehicles they use for the street car transformers? other than making fanboys cry i don't really see this causing any problem. as long as cars remain cars, jets remain jets, the constructicons remain construction robots, etc. it really doesn't make any difference.
CopperTop

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That Camaro looks sweet... and you want a muscle car for a Transformer, not some wimpy-assed VW that can't get out of it's own way on the freeway.
Amilam

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Ags on this. Itís not like the Transformers plot rivals the Bronte sisters. This movie wonít succeed without tapping into childhood nostalgia so it makes no sense to make radical changes to the franchise. If you want to touch them up a little (starscream is now an F22 instead of a F15) thatís not the end of the world, but donít completely junk the original premise like the Megatron design.

Quote:
about robots that lived on other planets and just happened totally by chance to each transform into things that strangely looked exactly like human vehicles and technologies from the 1980's.

Like I said above, Transformers plot isnít anything to scream about, but actually they choose their forms specifically to blend in on Earth.

And for the record with Bay in charge I have no faith in the movie being anything less than crap.
WheelsOfConfusion

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CT: You don't want a muscle car for Bumblebee. He's supposed to be the smallest, physically weakest guy in the show.
Valp

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So who's this Steve Jablonsky guy who is supposed to do the original music? I had my hopes up for a super-epic Hans Zimmer-soundtrack here
BoySetsFire

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's probably going to suck a lot, but that won't stop me from plunking down my $7.50 for a matinee showing of it.

i predict that if this flick does even moderately well, there will be a big budget, live-action G.I. Joe movie made as well.
WheelsOfConfusion

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BoySetsFire wrote:
it's probably going to suck a lot, but that won't stop me from plunking down my $7.50 for a matinee showing of it.

Not me. I learned my lesson from the Prequels.
Teh Digital Dragon

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Presumably this is a kid's movie? I'm not sure you should put these big serious expectations on it.
Fenris83

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is bad enough this is such a tease, I can't wait for a better trailer.

http://www.apple.com/trailers/paramount/transformers/
Yorick

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teh Digital Dragon wrote:
Presumably this is a kid's movie? I'm not sure you should put these big serious expectations on it.

nah, it's being done as a big summer event movie. sturm and drang and all that. They're hoping the children of the '70's and '80's will come out in droves, like they did for Star Wars Episode 1.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Casual Chat All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: