Sinfest Forum Index Sinfest
welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Anime: the good, the bad, and the WTF!?!?!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19 ... 29, 30, 31  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sojobo

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darqcyde wrote:
Sword Art Online is WAY better than you would think. Real growth starts in the protagonist as soon as episode three. I'd go with this If you want more actiony type stuff.

OR Moyashimon if you want something more realistic, and I mean that quite the relative sense. The characters and situations are fairly real except for the protagonist who has the ability to see and communicate with microbes.

Sojobo wrote:
I ask for one and only one recommendation,

Kidding, of course.

I've watched the first four of SAO, and it seems excellent. Ep3 was a bit heavy-handed, though. Ep4 was better.
Sojobo

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Watched eight episodes of Sword Art Online. Excellent show. Good at everything except tugging at heartstrings, and bad at that only because it tries to do it rather too bluntly and suddenly.

Watched one Mayashimon, and it was actually pretty weak. The idea was very cute, but the storytelling and dialogue and characters were all pretty off. I know there are some senses in which I should give it more episodes to find its feet, but I'm not going to.

Watched three Level E. Lots of good points for the first two-and-a-half episodes. A bit of a letdown for me personally by too much frantic/loud/outtake humour (can't stand the Captain), but I accept that as due to my preference for drama or adventure rather than pure comedy. The end of episode three wasn't good, though. I'll watch another couple of episodes to see whether it recovers, but I feel like it will be a theme to bury the interesting characters and development under too-large jokes/twists.
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What really got me with Level E was that I could never figure out where it was going. Even when I did it took a completely different route then I thought. The only certainty is that the prince is going to be a bastard in some way.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
ChastMastr

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adyon wrote:
Hadn't seen that post I guess or I'd have just told you to get VLC player.

I think I may have it, but it only lets me watch stuff on the computer itself, so it's not what I'd be looking for. Thank you though! Smile There's a nice program called Handbrake I found which lets me convert them, and then we can watch them on the TV.

Been really enjoying the "Humanity Has Declined" series with the fairies, by the way.

Kamen Rider Wizard has started! Yay!!
Sojobo

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChastMastr, you haven't really been recommending, but you seem to have watched a fair number of anime. Please recommend one for me to watch.

You too, ShadowCell.

Canopus, Monkey, Adyon, feel free to chime in.
ShadowCell

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i don't actually watch a whole lot of anime, and most of what i do watch is mecha, but if you're into drama, Code Geass is pretty good. it blends mecha, high school, political intrigue, and supernatural overtones pretty well; on the other hand, as it goes into the second season it starts getting weird and unbalanced

there's also Fafner in the Azure, which also goes by the name Sokyuu no Fafner. has some Evangelion-esque qualities to it, i'm told, but i found pretty much all of the characters likeable and relatable, and even though you'll quickly wish that Kazuki and Soushi just make out already and put us all out of their misery, i really liked the way it handled its character interactions

if you're up for some comedy with your mecha and adventure and occasional drama, there's also Martian Successor Nadesico, which has the benefit of poking fun at otakus and whatnot. just avoid the movie, Prince of Darkness, like the plague; it does a total 180 on the TV series in weird and baffling ways. godawful.

and there's the good old original 1979 Mobile Suit Gundam. the animation is hand-drawn and the whole thing is very 70s, but i still think it's probably the best Gundam has to offer in terms of writing and storytelling. there's a 42-episode TV series, but there's also three compilation movies that cut the story down to a leaner form and throw in some redone animation, at the cost of some backstory and fleshing out of characters
Heretical Rants

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

crap, now there are two anime from this season that I'm actively following

Also, it would be really, really cool if the new Hunter x Hunter got further in the story than the OVAs did, but it'll take a while if it does.

I guess I could just read the comic.
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heretical Rants wrote:
crap, now there are two anime from this season that I'm actively following

Also, it would be really, really cool if the new Hunter x Hunter got further in the story than the OVAs did, but it'll take a while if it does.

I guess I could just read the comic.

Ging and Gon hang out, there a HUGE HUGE HUGE reveal . . . and now it's indefinitely on hiatus, has been for several months.

Also I would suggest Broken Blade aka Break Blade for those looking for a decent mecha. It's different in that there's "magic", but since everyone can use it, it's more of a long lost super advanced tech that the current scientist in the story only kind understand.

On the Mecha note Muv Luv Alternative: Total Eclipse started out "OMFG this is fucking dark and gritty" . . . and then kinda got bogged down by melodrama . . . but recent episodes have it back on course i.e. lots of people are gonna die soon. It's Starship Troopers w/ mecha, only the bugs have landed here.

Also if anyone is looking for a good movie I would suggest Origins of the Past (I think it's on Netflix, they have TONS of shit now), it's Miyazaki meets Akira.

Magi is probably going to be the next big thing of any note in shonen, it's basically 1001 Arabian Nights.

Also History Strongest Disciple Kenichi is one of my fav for fantastical-pseudo-real martial arts, but the anime ends right where the story gets REALLY good.

Personally, on a speculative note, all of this will pale next to [url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silver_Spoon_(manga)]Silver Spoon[/url], which will drop sometime next year.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Adyon

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you like strangely addicting comedy series, Azumanga Diaoh you mentioned is great.

For a different semi-military mecha show that's less focused on the mecha, my wife and I really loved Full Metal Panic. It's strangely comedic at times and deadly serious others. Though the more crazy comedy episodes got their own season called Fumofu: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&NR=1&v=lsLEHq9bxmU

We have a problem that we love long Shonen Jump series. One Piece is simply the best series in our opinion. My only problem with it is that half of the stuff I've written for a story I plan to do someday has now been done by One Piece. We kept watching it with me going, "Hey this part is like what I planned to do for...AWWW DAMMIT!" I had such a similar story structure too. I'll probably still do it. It's not like it's mainstream in the US, and I know how to differentiate.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sojobo wrote:
ChastMastr, you haven't really been recommending, but you seem to have watched a fair number of anime. Please recommend one for me to watch.

You too, ShadowCell.

Canopus, Monkey, Adyon, feel free to chime in.

Well if you want to sit through episodic big monsters followed by a final two or three episodes that make you go WTF am i watching, try Melody of Oblivion on for size

Viva! Monster Union!
ChastMastr

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sojobo wrote:

Oh! Um... all the ones I listed?
ChastMastr

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh! Oh! I know! I recommend:

ABENOBASHI MAGICAL SHOPPING DISTRICT

I *LOVE* this series!

There. Smile
Adyon

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh god, that series is a bag of crazy that is like FLCL, the extended edition! 13 episodes instead of 4-5? Haha, it is indeed a funny one though. I'd forgotten about watching it a few years back.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I forgot all about that one actually.
LD!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dammit Darqcyde, I had just gotten out of watching anime. Why couldn't you have shown me a show that was finished. Here I am waiting for the next episode of Sword to come out instead of just binging on all of it in one go.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Casual Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19 ... 29, 30, 31  Next
Page 18 of 31

Jump to: