welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Anime: the good, the bad, and the WTF!?!?!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Heretical Rants

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

just marathoned Samurai Flamenco

it was pure gold

the first six episodes are completely solid

I was a bit sceptical about where it was going about halfway through, and some of the twists are a bit hit and miss, but it all pulls together by the end -
and the ending was perfect

extremely satisfying

no regrets
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^^^
Yes!! The first couple of times they started introducing characters I was all "meh" but then it worked out better than I could have expected.

This most recent season of new shows . . . theres a lot I want to like . . . but there are more than a few problematic shows.

So far other than Haikyu! (which I'm just too much a rabid fanboy to judge rationally but OMG it's all I dreamed and hoped for and more), the top two new series are Mekakucity Actors and Knights of Sidonia.

Mekakucity is different and could go a lot of ways. Knights of Sidonia is some realistic sci-fi mecha that has probably the best visuals of the season.

I so want to like No Game, No Life, but it's well . . . yeah . . . "Onii-san!" . . . yeah . . . but then it tries to play it for laughs, which it might pull off. If it does, it will have some of the best NEETs ever, which they really aren't, but damn it's pretty and could be perfect, except . . . "Onii-san!" . . . yeah . . .
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Heretical Rants

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 3:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I so want to like No Game, No Life, but it's well . . . yeah . . . "Onii-san!" . . . yeah . . . but then it tries to play it for laughs, which it might pull off. If it does, it will have some of the best NEETs ever, which they really aren't, but damn it's pretty and could be perfect, except . . . "Onii-san!" . . . yeah . . .

I watched a bit of it and I have to say, it was massively discouraging for the first glimpse of the show's reality (and the very first scene after an in-game fight sequence that I didn't care about) to be a close-up of a little kid's crotch.

It's a shame, because I think the characters' relationship would be really compelling if it weren't played so much for weak comedy and loliservice. A perfect team, trusting each other completely, and completely dependant on each other because they don't interact with anyone else? They each contribute their strengths to their combined efforts to defeat any opponent at any game? They seem scarred and cynical and don't know how to deal with the real world? Their situation suddenly changes in a way that might let them actually develop as people? Yes, great, give us that.
but you just had to go and ruin it, didn't you, animation people

Episode one at least was interesting.
Episode two set some stuff up that might turn out to be interesting, but didn't make me want to keep watching.

more games, less shitty comedy, pl0x

Episode three has ten minutes, and no more, to make me care about the rest of the show.

EDIT: okay, it's got me for a while longer. The things that annoyed me about the first two episodes were downplayed and the rest was only amped up. It continued to incorporate comedy, but this time a couple of the jokes actually made me laugh. The protagonists are impossibly good at what they do, but their opponents have all sorts of unfair advantages so the conflict is still compelling.
It still has a lot of immature crap undercutting everything else, but this was a lot more entertaining than ep. 2.
The pacing was great; it didn't waste any time.

My overall impression of this show is that someone took a good cartoon and beat it over the head with a stupid stick until it bled tears of mediocrity

update, much later: episode 5 was terrible, and I'm not watching this show anymore
Heretical Rants

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WTF: The Tom and Jerry Show keeps showing up in my recommended anime. Apparently the new The Tom and Jerry show is pretty popular in Japan.

I don't get it.
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heretical Rants wrote:
update, much later: episode 5 was terrible, and I'm not watching this show anymore

yeah . . . that was sort of a thing . . .
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Knights of Sidonia . . .

Wow

possibly one of the best series of all times. Attack on Titan meets Titan AE meets Akira meets Gundam.

Some episodes are action packed, some dramatic and emotional, some both. It's just so good, I'm at a loss.
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone else catch the restart of Hunter X Hunter manga? it's good, but pretty much is all set up for up coming events.
Heretical Rants

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll read it when there's a new volume.
Heretical Rants

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ping Pong: The Animation is niiiiiiiiiice
Heretical Rants

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I WATCHED THE FIRST TWO PARTS OF THAT JOJO THING THIS WEEKEND

THE ONE WITH THE KIMYOU NA BOUKEN AND THE HAMON AND THE OH NOOOOO

I WANT MY TEN HOURS BACK

URGH
stripeypants

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found all my old Vision of Escaflowne DVDs. I am going to do a marathon of them once I'm done with the move.

I'm still pissed because I saved up for the box set when I was a kid and they ran out. So I had to buy each individual DVD, which was more expensive. Then, as I went in to buy the last disk - there was a bunch of the box sets. I am coming to the conclusion this will never cease to piss me off.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should watch Hozuki no Reitetsu.

And by 'you' I mean both of you and everyone else who is not me.
Heretical Rants

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw the first bit of it when it was first airing.

It entertained me in much the same way as Sayonara, Zetsubou Sensei -- a series which holds a special place in my heart even though I've only seen a small part of it. It was super fun to watch, but gave me no motivation to keep going with it.

Ping Pong The Animation is my favorite thing from the Spring 2014 lineup.
stripeypants

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an anime I'm required to watch. Can't remember the name of it, but that's next on my list.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heretical Rants wrote:
I saw the first bit of it when it was first airing.

It entertained me in much the same way as Sayonara, Zetsubou Sensei -- a series which holds a special place in my heart even though I've only seen a small part of it. It was super fun to watch, but gave me no motivation to keep going with it.

Ping Pong The Animation is my favorite thing from the Spring 2014 lineup.

You NEED to go back and watch more. You meet more people, you learn more about hose you've already met, jokes just get better and better.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Casual Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36  Next
Page 32 of 36

Jump to: