welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Anime: the good, the bad, and the WTF!?!?!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 25, 26, 27 ... 34, 35, 36  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Heretical Rants

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surprised

"going to"

are you saying it doesn't already?
Samsally

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yinello wrote:
This show is going to have a gazillion yaoi fics before it even starts.

I feel like I just watched a "what if the boys from Ouran High School Host Club were on the swim team, instead." fanfic turned advertisement.
Heretical Rants

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the PV (one-hour loop without any of those pesky annotations) and nowhere-near-complete fan-made game are pretty cool, too

helpful link fairy awaaaaaaaaaayyy~
Samsally

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heretical Rants wrote:
nowhere-near-complete fan-made game are pretty cool, too

ABNORMALLY EXCITED ABOUT THIS NOW THE MAIN CHARACTER IN THE GAME IS ACE FOR REAL?!
eureka00

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CTrees wrote:

The War in the Pocket
I expected to hate this. Starts off with a great fight, involving my favorite class of suit designs (I'm weird, I know), and then follows a whiny child (theoretically eleven, seems eight or younger), leaving me dreading him as a pilot. Turns out my fears where unfounded - War in the Pocket is a tight, quick (six ~20min OVAs) story about love and the effects of war, told through the lens of a child. The cross-side romance is understated but effective. Honestly, the Gundam-setting is irrelevant; change some job descriptions and it would be just as effective a story in a village in WWII. The Gundam focus is low, but the actual work is excellent. It's not my favorite work in the franchise (because I like giant robots fighting), but it's probably my pick for the best of what I've seen so far.

War in the Pocket seems like it shouldn't be that good, but it turns out to be great. I totally agree with your synopsis "War is Hell", and it's one of my most favorite Gundam series. My other favorite Gundam series is 08th MS Team. I hope you enjoy that one.
Yinello

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heretical Rants wrote:
the PV (one-hour loop without any of those pesky annotations) and nowhere-near-complete fan-made game are pretty cool, too

helpful link fairy awaaaaaaaaaayyy~

HILARIOUS
Yinello

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heretical Rants wrote:
Surprised

"going to"

are you saying it doesn't already?

Well maybe a million, but not a gazillion. Yet.
Samsally

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys. Guys I wanna make a dating sim now and it is like 100% HR's fault.

OMG I EVEN HAVE A STORY THAT WOULD WORK AS A DATING SIM.

Oh nooooo what a rabbit hole. Fuck. I'm not allowed another big project until I work on the comic more.

Comic awaaaaaaaaay.

(have i mentioned i learned how to brew perfect french press coffee today? there is a lot of caffeine in me right now. that's totally my excuse.)
Heretical Rants

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Samsally wrote:
Heretical Rants wrote:
nowhere-near-complete fan-made game are pretty cool, too

ABNORMALLY EXCITED ABOUT THIS NOW THE MAIN CHARACTER IN THE GAME IS ACE FOR REAL?!

IDK IT'S HARD TO BE SURE NOTHING IN THIS GAME SEEMS TO BE MORE THAN HALF-SERIOUS BUT THAT SEEMS TO BE SOMETHING WE CAN TAKE AT FACE VALUE IDK WHY AM I YELLING

ALSO I JUST FOUND SOMETHING REALLY HILARIOUS IN THAT GAME I MEAN I CAN'T STOP LAUGHING OMGGGGG AAAAAAAAAA THIS IS GREAT
Samsally

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Share please! I'm pretty sure I've read through it all but there were multiple moments of insane cackling so I wanna know which one.
CTrees

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just finished Mobile Suit Gundam 0083: Stardust Memory.

Holy shit. Yeah. I think this is required viewing for any deep foray into the Gundam franchise. Important plot points, no newtypes, twisty plot that had lots of shocks and seriously averted the expected tropes (surprising me a few times)... It's pretty great. And because it's short (thirteen ~24min OVAs) and tightly paced, it's difficult to talk about without spoilers. So, uh, yeah. Regardless, most of the usual advice is "watch these in production order," but watching Stardust Memory between the original series and Zeta is highly recommended. It even transitions the tone, I'd say.

EDIT: Gundam F91 blows. "Some decent suit designs" is the best things I can say about it. Inconsistent animation, uninspiring characters, lacks of transitions between scenes that make no sense (wait, how did they know to chase them? wait, how did they get into space they were just in a van, what?), the silliness of early ZZ that people hated combined with rampant cartoon physics, etc. It's far enough into the Universal Century future (30yrs after Char's Counterattack) that it can't even rely on continuing the stories of existing characters as a hook. It's on par with AGE and the second season of 00 for how much I dislike it. Thankfully it's only a 2hr movie - the originally planned, fifty episode series may have smoothed out some problems (like the missing transitions) but would have otherwise been completely beyond my endurance level (and I stuck with 00 all the way to the end).
CTrees

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, the 08th Mobile Suit Team. It's good - very good. Certainly worth watching, even if you don't care about Gundam. It's pretty firmly in "real robot" territory, without many of the "super robot series" trappings that Gundam series normally edge into. I was expecting it to be a bit darker (it's fine that it's not!). Loved the fight with the custom Gouf. Otherwise... I mean, what is there to say about these OVAs that every other recommendation on them doesn't already say?

I think I'd put it at my third favorite gundam series, behind Stardust Memory and Unicorn, and ahead of The War in the Pocket (which I still think is technically the "best," when judged beyond simply being a Gundam series).

Not *entirely* sure what's next. I'm thinking Igloo, and maybe a diversion into the Gunpla Builders stuff before diving into Victory Gundam.
Yinello

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

O.M.G.

Michiko to Hatchin is possibly one of the best anime series out there. How can you not love people who speak Japanese in Brazil? Well even if you don't, the anime is so beautiful and the story is so captivating, you better watch it or else.

Btw it's not a kiddie series. Mature themes ahoy (but without becoming too much and nothing triggery).
Heretical Rants

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Panty and Stocking transformation sequence, Uchiha version from nico nico douga

okay yes this is old but I only just now found it somehow
also I can't stop laughing
that happens to me a lot I guess

... the rumored second season of Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt is never going to happen, is it.
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2013/06/02/full-body-looks-at-gintama-the-movie-the-final-chapter-be-forever-yorozuya-future-character-designs
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Casual Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 25, 26, 27 ... 34, 35, 36  Next
Page 26 of 36

Jump to: