welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Anime: the good, the bad, and the WTF!?!?!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 32, 33, 34, 35, 36  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Heretical Rants

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They keep readapting old crap to animation

JoJo, DBZ, Hunter x Hunter, and now Sailor Moon

the new Hunter x Hunter combined massive stylistic improvements with the opportunity (now fully realized) to cover new material

but the titular character of Sailor Moon is still a squeaky, annoying wall-eyed idiot, and AFAIK they're not going to do anything new, so what's the point?

the only thing Sailor Moon had going for it even in the '90s is that it was one of the first to popularize the magical girl genre
but it doesn't have that anymore

It has nothing.

I am annoyed.

Make something new, you hacks.

I mean, okay

maybe they're going to dodge some of the mistakes of the original adaptation? the comic was slightly less shitty? so maybe they're going to try to stay true to that: slightly less shitty.

but so far they've just added in bits that look like they were rotoscoped from a 3D model, which is more shitty, not less
Heretical Rants

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

...but to be honest, the only thing they would have had to have done to get me to like this would have been to get a different voice actress for the only role that still has the original voice actress and she's so fake-squeaky omfg it grates on my brain. And I still might watch it if someone informs me that they've at least somewhat distilled the thematic poignancy of the original. I've always kind of wondered what the series would be like if it didn't totally suck. I'm just not convinced that this is going to be an improvement.

and in the end I'd rather have my kids watching this than, say, Breadwinners, but only because Breadwinners is complete and utter irredeemable shit, and this is just some silly nostalgia thing that's being taken far too seriously by whoever the hell financed the latest coat of lacquer that they've decided to spray on it

As far as I can tell they're aiming entirely for the nostalgia audience and hoping that either that's enough or that enough more get caught up in the nostalgia-momentum. They aren't making it for the younger audience; it still feels old. It's still in the same primitive outdated mangacrap style. It's a kids' show aimed entirely at adults -- adults who already watched it before production even began. ;lkjasdfdl;kjadf;lkjfasijsdafoijefjoivdskanj

EDITS: I had mistyped "production" and began"

Last edited by Heretical Rants on Sun Jul 06, 2014 9:25 pm; edited 3 times in total
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you were a twelve year old boy and a fan of the series you might think otherwise.

But yeah, the rehash has gotten ridiculous. Don't forget that Captain Earth is Battle for the planets and also the darker and weirder Gotchaman remake.

Besides, there's more important things afoot:

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Samsally

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of my friends has convinced me to start watching Soul Eater. She also tried to get me hooked on Attack on Titan but no. Just... no.

One of my cousins talked up Fairy Tail a lot so I might look into that, too.
Heretical Rants

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Samsally wrote:
Soul Eater

Fairy Tail

Soul Eater and Fairy Tail are both aimed pretty squarely at the Pubescent Teenager audience

with Soul Eater there's some great stylistic stuff to be had, and Maka's interactions with the world are pretty satisfying

but Fairy Tail ranks right up there with One Piece and Recent Generic Monster Card Game That I Don't Remember The Name Of in terms of absolute unwatchability for me - there's hundreds of hours of material there and I can't make my way through more than fifteen minutes

Darqcyde wrote:

Besides, there's more important things afoot:

Other things that annoy me merely by existing this season:

Sword Art Online II: why won't it die already

but yea, overall the summer lineup consists of the usual collection of drudge + maybe a couple of things that look interesting

Last edited by Heretical Rants on Sun Jul 06, 2014 9:37 pm; edited 2 times in total
Samsally

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well if i wasn't going to watch it before now i pretty much have to.
Heretical Rants

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've tried watching bits of Fairy Tail on at least three occasions. I've seen bits from the beginning, middle, and end of its major story arcs, and the rest is still behind a massive wall of unwatchability.
Samsally

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah but tell me the last time we agreed on media in... well, ever.
Heretical Rants

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it doesn't in any way resemble anything I remember you saying you enjoyed

I suppose you might enjoy it if you convince yourself that you're going to just to spite me
Samsally

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha, well, I'll probably at least check it out, my cousin was pretty excited about it and I gotta come back with some sort of opinion of my own.

I can't imagine wanting to spite you enough to force myself to watch something I don't like, though.
Heretical Rants

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Somewhere out there, there could be a slightly different version of me that likes Fairy Tail.

There's a clear gradient between myself and that alternate version of me - it's a hill, not a truly absolute barrier:
I found Reborn! to be moderately watchable. If Reborn! is your favorite thing ever, you will at the very least find Fairy Tail to be watchable. If I were obsessed with boobs, that would win it even more favor in my books.

googling "why do people like fairy tail" comes up with the following:

Quote:
because of the boobs
I don't see any other explanation,the show is too generic to stand out for anything else

Quote:
Dude, I'll be honest with you. I hate Fairy Tail with a passion, but if you can't go past 5 episodes of a long running shonen like Fairy Tail, then you will barely even grasp the basic idea and setting of the series. Try to get to at least episode 20 or 30, where the first true antagonist appears and then make your decision. Also, you're not supposed to make threads like this.

alternate-universe me who is obsessed with boobs watched ten hours of it because of the boobs, and by then alternate-universe!me had gotten a feel for the characters and their conflicts and gotten used to the comedy - perhaps even enjoying the comedy - and that momentum carried alternate-universe!me through the hundreds of hours of generic shounen beat-em-up story arcs that the show has to offer
Thy Brilliance

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take it easy HR, you're getting all worked up over nothing.

It's a silly show that's not meant to be taken seriously.

Also they don't really have boob phobia in japan, I imagine you would have noticed this by now.
Heretical Rants

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the boobs don't turn me away, really

it's just that they're on the short list of things that could potentially make this thing enjoyable - and you know you're scraping the bottom of the barrel on entertainment when you have to say that

it's got abs, too
but the alternate universe version of me that's obsessed with abs is busy rewatching Free! - Iwatobi Swim Club over and over
the abs in Fairy Tail really don't compare favorably to those

The alternate universe version of me that's obsessed with Hello Kitty and collecting little animal-head keychains and cell-phone baubles might be watching Fairy Tail for the weird animal things.

There's probably even an alternate universe version of me that likes the comedy, but I disown them.

I can't imagine an alternate universe version of me that actually cares about the storyline, but that's me speaking as a version of me that hasn't watched the prerequisite twenty hours of angry screaming heavily-muscled children throwing fireballs at each other that are necessary to really truly know the story.

Last edited by Heretical Rants on Sun Jul 06, 2014 10:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
Thy Brilliance

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 10:30 pm    Post subject: THERE CAN ONLY BE ONE Reply with quote

Heretical Rants wrote:
the boobs don't turn me away, really

it's just that they're on the short list of things that could potentially make this thing enjoyable

it's got abs, too
but the alternate universe version of me that's obsessed with abs is busy rewatching Free! - Iwatobi Swim Club over and over
the abs in Fairy Tail really don't compare favorably to those

The alternate universe version of me that's obsessed with Hello Kitty and collecting little animal-head keychains and cell-phone baubles might be watching Fairy Tail for the weird animal things.

There's probably even an alternate universe version of me that likes the comedy, but I disown them.

I can't imagine an alternate universe version of me that actually cares about the storyline, but that's me speaking as a version of me that hasn't watched the prerequisite twenty hours of angry screaming heavily-muscled children throwing fireballs at each other that are necessary to really know what the story is truly about.

It's time for you to defeat your alternate reality selves and become stronger..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UpOTHprtOec
Heretical Rants

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not a super-powered science-fiction action murderer, Thy.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Casual Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 32, 33, 34, 35, 36  Next
Page 33 of 36

Jump to: