Sinfest Forum Index Sinfest
welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Pete Coors Helps Promote Product (Read: Gets DUI)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
andrew

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 5:56 pm    Post subject: Pete Coors Helps Promote Product (Read: Gets DUI) Reply with quote

http://www.cnn.com/2006/LAW/07/15/coors.dui.ap/index.html

Quote:
DENVER, Colorado (AP) -- Beer baron Peter Coors' driver's license has been revoked by a hearing officer who ruled the executive had been driving under the influence of alcohol, officials said.

Hearing officer Scott Garber ruled Friday that Coors did not stop at a stop sign on May 28 and was driving intoxicated.

Coors, 59, said he had consumed a beer about 30 minutes before leaving a wedding, the Rocky Mountain News reported Saturday. He faces a July 20 arraignment and has 30 days to appeal the revocation.

"I made a mistake. I should have planned ahead for a ride," Coors said in a statement. "For years, I've advocated the responsible use of our company's products."

(more)

On the one hand, I can't stop laughing - and really, Coors makes such crappy, crappy beer.

On the other hand, I'm afraid there are too many really stupid people who will take this as a carte blanche to drive drunk. "Hell, if Pete Coors can do it, so can I! Hyuck!" Like this country doesn't have enough alcohol-related fatalities as it is.

Thank God Seattle is filled with beer snobs who only drink high quality local & foreign imported microbrews before they drive home drunk.
Natashabi

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very true.

I wanted to find the "Almost Live" sketch from the "Guide to Living in Seattle" about the beer choices in Seattle but I was unsuccessful and just found this:

Men of South King County Which says the exact opposite but illustrates the sort of people who may take this DUI the wrong way.
Sam

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 8:36 pm    Post subject: fuh fuh fuh more like LIEberal am i rite Reply with quote

Pete Coors is the first political candidate I have ever -- ever -- campaigned against. I went and signed up for Ken Salazar's campaign and went around hanging up flyers in moderate counties surrounding Boulder and pushed some time on the volunteer front trying to persuade people not to vote for Coors.

When Nighthorse retired, the Republican primary in Colorado was Bob Schaffer v. Coors. This meant that the Colorado caucus was a battle between a big, fat, flaming fuckhead (Bob*) and a merely terrible candidate (Pete).

Pete won. Good -- he was no Bob, but he was still a person who was bad enough for me to campaign against. He was simply a big-name guy that the Colorado conservative groups had hoped to stooge into office on name recognition and ample funding.

Indeed, Coors poured over a million bucks into his own campaign and put up a website and series of commercials providing an entirely content-free and generic campaign position which told you next to nothing about his actual positions. His entire campaign was a duplicitous and hollow attempt to feign moderacy. All you ever got was bulk-rate shit like 'committed to lowering taxes' and 'preserving and protecting our natural resources.' No details or specifics.

It is a fun and profitable strategy: stick behind the vagaries.

But, it couldn't work, this time: he had a donor record as long as his arm. He tried to court women voters, but was found to be tied by six-digit figures to the Independent Women's Forum. Tried to court moderates, but was tied by seven-digit figures to Cato, American Enterprise, and the Heritage Foundation. He tried to paint himself as an environmental advocate; this was the biggest bullshit stance, on account of the fact that he donated heavily to groups that specifically litigate against environmental regulation (Pacific Legal Foundation, Landmark Legal Foundation).

In the end, it was really a good thing that he was such a rich guy -- based on his campaign alone, there would have been few ways to tell he was full of shit. Money talked. Better yet, it swore.

So, I was pretty happy when he got roundly defeated by Salazar.

Under any normal circumstances, I wouldn't exactly want to gloat over a drunk driving conviction, whether or not I was opposed to him as a candidate. Incidents like these tend to loom over or destroy people's political careers while having little actual bearing on the quality of their positions or their capacity to govern. But, fuck it. He didn't even want people to know what his positions were. Him drifting through a stop sign and blowing 088 on a BAC test, all the while trying to claim that he only had 'a beer' thirty minutes before he drove? It's fucking karma.

*Bob resorted to a pretty nasty campaign against Pete in the primary. He accused Pete of supporting The Homosexual Agenda on account of the fact that Pete's company dared to provide benefits to the partners of its gay and lesbian employees. He's held hands with Focus on the Family. ew

**further on Independent Women's Forum: Really, it's bad. You probably don't know who they are, but there are few groups as bizarre and creepy as it. It's like if a bunch of black guys got together in favor of legislation associated with the Jim Crow era, and called themselves the Free Negroes Society.
Uncle Taylorbell

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 9:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Pete Coors Helps Promote Product (Read: Gets DUI) Reply with quote

andrew wrote:
On the one hand, I can't stop laughing - and really, Coors makes such crappy, crappy beer.

Oooo, that's cold ... but not as cold as new Coors SubZero SuperChilled, available for responsible drinking in all good bars and draught stockists.
PeteMoss

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember when he ran for office.

Coors Brewing company placed full page ads in every Gay news medium they could to distance them selves against his fun for office.

Coors Brewing company has a very open work environment and offer same-sex partner benefits.

In that ad (I can't find the text for it) Coors Brewing became the FIRST and ONLY corporation stating that they do not support amending the USA constitution to ban same sex marriage.

Of all the beers they brew, my personal favorite is the Blue Moon Belgium White. That is some good beer. It is about the only one I can drink from a bottle, everything else has to be draft.

As far as his DUI, sucks to be him.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: