welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Male birth control pill soon a reality
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Would you take it or make your man take it?
Male Contraceptive? BRING IT ON! MORE NOOKIE FOR ME!
87%
 87%  [ 28 ]
Male Contraceptive? Man, that's a women's job to take a pill for safe sex!
12%
 12%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 32

juggernautxug

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 7:13 pm    Post subject: Male birth control pill soon a reality Reply with quote

Implants and patches and creams, OH MY!

John Schieszer wrote:
SEATTLE, Oct. 1 — - Forty-year-old Scott Hardin says he’s glad that men may soon have a new choice when it comes to birth control. But, he adds, he would not even consider taking a male hormonal contraceptive. Hardin is like many men who are pleased to hear they may have a new option but are wary of taking any type of hormones.

“I would rather rely on a solution that doesn’t involving medicating myself and the problems women have had with hormone therapy doesn’t make me anxious to want to sign on to taking a hormone-type therapy,” says Hardin, who is single and a college administrator.

For the first time, a safe, effective and reversible hormonal male contraceptive appears to be within reach. Several formulations are expected to become commercially available within the near future. Men may soon have the options of a daily pill to be taken orally, a patch or gel to be applied to the skin, an injection given every three months or an implant placed under the skin every 12 months, according to Seattle researchers.

“It largely depends on how funding continues. The technology is there. We know how it would work,” says Dr. Andrea Coviello, who is helping to test several male contraceptives at the Population Center for Research in Reproduction at the University of Washington in Seattle.

Coviello and her colleagues have found that a male contraceptive that releases testosterone over three months is potentially a safe and practical method of contraception. The Seattle researchers have been testing a sustained-released, testosterone micro-capsule, which consists of a thick liquid administered by injection under the skin.

“I never had any real noticeable side effects. I didn’t notice any mood changes. I may have put on a little weight,” says Larry Setlow, a 39-year-old computer programmer with a small software company in Seattle. He has taken part in three male hormonal contraceptive clinical trials at the University of Washington and has received both pills and injections.

“They all worked really well and I was able to look at my lab results and see my sperm count drop to zero,” says Setlow.

So, for all the guys in here, would you take a male version of the pill?

For the ladies, would you make your guy take the pill?

I for one can't wait for the male pill to be released. It would be a load of my mind to know that I am compleatly safe of makeing the worst STD around another kid. (im just kidding btw I love my two kids just really don't want any more)

Although this seems like a good idea, some worries arise from this:

-would the spread of STDs and HIV/AIDs rise since most men only wear condoms for the sake of not getting a girl pregnant?

-will this give men another "edge" into talking women into having sex? "don't worry baby, i'm on the pill there's nothing to worry about"

-will this stop women from taking the pill since they can shift the responsibility over to the men?

What are the rest of the sinfesters views on this?
Lemontree

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if there are any long-term repercussions to it? Men unable to father children later on.

Otherwise I'm very much for it. I strongly believe in still being prepared myself.. but wouldn't it be an added de-stresser to know that both members of the couple were safe-guarded? Plus I've often found it financially unfair coming from the woman's perspective. My insurance plan does not cover well-woman visits OR contraceptives of any sort. So having to buy generic at $30 a month, is still cheaper than a kid.. but after also shelling out over $100 for the doctor's visit.. my boyfriend just gets to sit back fancy-free and without having to pay a cent for sex.

So yes, yay for Male Contraceptions.
Kitten

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Male contraceptives? w00t!
Natashabi

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's a good thing.

I hope that people would still use other methods to prevent the spread of disease.

It may give an "edge" to men with some women but not with me. Primarily because of the above reason. Just because I wouldn't be getting pregnant doesn't mean I want whatever else the guy's carting around in his shorts.

I think in long term relationships it may give the couple the option of letting the man take the drugs which would be a nice change but some women aren't taking the pill because it's a form of birth-control, so I doubt those women would stop taking it.

Finally:

I think this guy's name needs an "o" instead of an "i".
DELETED

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DELETED
Laughterheals

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd take it, but if it means I become sterile later, screw that. I'd rather go to condoms for protection on my behalf.

Anyways, barring any long-term repercussions, I don't see why it would be a problem for males to take this. It's asking a lot already for women to take so many precautions (birth pill, diaphragm, etc), so the guys should step up and help take some responsibility when it comes to sex.

Has anyone seen The Mating Habits of the Earthbound Human? I'm laughing at the way the movie portrayed contraceptives.
Dro

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It can't hurt, but I'm not sure too many women will take some guy's word that they are on the pill. The repercussion still falls on the woman. Now that there is no excuse, maybe it is time to toughen up paternity laws.

Last edited by Dro on Mon Jul 17, 2006 8:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
PsycoMonkey

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

and so i say its the womans job..why?..because the female im my relationship took it upon herself to take the pill..plus...spermocide in pill form = evil!! Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad
juggernautxug

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Halfpint wrote:
Natashabi wrote:
YADA YADA YADA

Finally:

I think this guy's name needs an "o" instead of an "i".

GIGGLE! Laughing

I'm missing something.... Confused
andrew

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*douses thread in gasoline*

*flees*
Natashabi

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 8:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Male birth control pill soon a reality Reply with quote

juggernautxug wrote:
I'm missing something.... Confused

juggernautxug wrote:

John Schieszer wrote:
Forty-year-old Scott Hardin

Rolling Eyes
Mizike

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting stuff. Anyone know about what the male pill does for one's complexion? I know that Tricyclin clears up acne a little and it makes for a good excuse for younger people to start these things (at least I know it does for some young Catholics).

Also, what does semen look like with a sperm count of 0?
DigitalVirtuoso

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't trust taking the first several generations of the pill. Those nasty little gremlins we call side effects, may wait to pop out until 10 years down the line. This would be less then ideal when you are in your 30s wanting to have a child.

*The Year 2021: Picture the Next Blockbuster movie*

Honey I shrunk the .... !

"I didn't even use a shrink ray this time!"

Well... you COULD make that movie now and call the drug of choice Steroids.

JOSE CONSECO Starring as Wayne Szalinski !!!

Founder of the 10 July 2006 Elitist Member Club
Member jackets coming soon!!!
Dro

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mizike wrote:

Also, what does semen look like with a sperm count of 0?

Like champagne. And it has a nice floral scent.
mouse

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

as a single woman, i'm not sure i'd trust a guy who said he was on the stuff - women forget to take the pill, so i'm sure men will too. and like the pill, it will do nothing to stop stds. but i think for people in a committed relationship who want to delay having children, this is a really good thing. (for those who don't want children at all, there is always a vasectomy.) some women have serious problems with the pill and other forms of birth control, so it would be good if the guy could take the load - and if they are _both_ on some sort of birth control, it would reduce the incidental failure rate (all forms of birth control have some failure rate). interesting that it seems to be excess testosterone - wonder how that works?

and i wonder how various religious groups will react to this. some are against women taking the pill - ostensibly because it sort of acts like an abortifacient, in that it prevents implantation. i wonder if they will be supportive of pharmacists who don't want to give it out because of their beliefs - or if any one will have any problem giving it out at all?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: