welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

WhupTour '06
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
WhupAs101

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 10:47 pm    Post subject: WhupTour '06 Reply with quote

So, here's a little background. I'm 24 years old, no job, no responsibilities, no obligations. My father died last November (cancer) and I've been sort of out of it since then. I've been spending my days sleeping playing video games and reading comics and manga, and not much else. I just turned 24 on the 14th of this month, and upon waking up the next day, I stared at the ceiling, and out of nowhere I had that White Snake song "Here I Go Again" run through my head.

See, I'm in the process of moving to a small town at the southwest tip of VA (I'm in Richmond til the end of this month). The plan is to go down there and start going to to the much, much cheaper community colleges that litter that area. Actually make something of myself and whatnot. But I can't get the grants and everything for the semester that starts at the end of August, so I'm probably going to have to wait 'til the semester after that. That leaves me with a whole semester to either: A) Hang around the house and play video games B) Get a job down there and just sort of bleh my way until next semester or C) RIDE THE RAILS AND LIVE BY MY WITS AND HAVE ZANY ADVENTURES.

I'm obviously choosing C. I'm gonna be a drifter and travel from town to town righting wrongs and becoming the sheriff of some small town and HAVE BYGOD ADVENTURES!!!11. The only two places I really feel like I need to go are Florida and Texas, to see my friend and mother respectively. Other than that, it's going me, my digital camera, my laptop and my Dodge Neon causing various shenanigans all over the U.S.A. I'm just going to point the Neon in a direction and drive, let the wind blow me where it will. I might even hit WA or Cali. The whole United States is my playground.

In short, it's going to be FRIGGIN' AWESOME.

However I don't want to head out without some kind of plan as to where I'm going to stop and what I'm going to see. The way I take to get to my destinations and how long I decide to take, that's gonna be up to me and the wind, but I would like to have some places I know I can stop.

So, what I'm getting at, if any of you guys can give me some suggestions as to places that might be fun to stop by on my whirlwind adventure, I'd be appreciative. Also anyone who might want to hang with Whup, this would be a good chance.

I'm gonna be a DRIFTER. I am so totally psyched by this idea.

Also what cheap motels are good and have internet access, and,... well tell you what, since the only plan I have is to point the car one way or the other and drive, any advice/thought you have for me is appreciated.

WHUP-TOUR '06, WHOOOOOO.
Uncle Taylorbell

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're gonna be a bum?
Monkey Mcdermott

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The bums will always lose Lebowski!

THE BUMS WILL ALWAYS LOSE!!
Uncle Taylorbell

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was actually looking for a Pulp Fiction response, but fair dos.

I advise you to do what your father did, sir, and get a job!
Celaeno

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm impressed.

Question: From where is the money to do this coming?

The insane gas prices (and not to mention hotel and food costs) stop me from attempting anything like this.
eureka00

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd also be afraid to do something like this by myself. *shrug*
WhupAs101

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Question: From where is the money to do this coming?

Dad left me a little. It's not a lot, but it's enough for me to at least get started in school.

I've worked out how much I have and how much this should cost me, and I'm not in too much danger financially. Not to mention how I'll probably sleep in the Neon a lot of the time. I'm only going to get a motel when I'm in a spot where it's worth having a "home-base". Maybe every few days, just for the sake of the shower. I'm going to be cheap with the food too, I was thinking just carry some bologne and cheese in my cooler and keep some bread around for the most part. Save the eating out for the special stops. If nothing else, McDonalds is universal, and a couple bucks on a dollar menu will take you far.

I'm trying to be smart about it, which is hard considering that overall it's kind of a reckless thing to do. But I've always wanted to see the country, and there's never going to be a better time in my life to accomplish it. I feel like I'd regret it later in life, having the dream go unfulfilled. I think Dad would appreciate the spirit of it too. He was a trucker and big into westerns. If I was taking off riding a horse instead of a Neon, it'd be perfect. Laughing

Edit: Oh and having a Neon helps with the gas a lot. The mileage on these things is fantastic. Not that 20 bucks a day for gas isn't still a lot in the long run, but it's doable. I'll try and position myself where I can walk or bus where I need to go after I hit a destination town. Plus bum rides off my e-buddies.
Flion

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I was but a cub, I did something like that. I sold my body for food and gas. The whole event left me scarred; I'll never be able to look at men the same way aga... wait, that's not my story.... er, um, ...

I always found a solution to all obstacles. Most times, some kind stranger would help me out and eventually, I found my way back home to my Mast... wait, that's not right, either.

Ah! Here it is. It was a coming-of-age thing for me. I went across country on a Honda 350CL and $500. It was a bit scary at times, but when I got done I knew I could do whatever I set out to do. Except, of course, deal with Mom freaking out because her 'little boy' was 'out there somewhere all by himself.' Moms never see their kids grow up.

Still, as fun and interesting as your journey is likely to be, I'd suggest your time would be better spent getting ready for school. It's been a few years since you last had a class. I found that I badly needed a refresher before tackling some subjects, most notably Algebra and Trig. Audit a course, or just blatantly sit in (some teachers don't mind, if you ask); it'll help. That way you can get some remedial stuff out of the way, find out what college level work is like (high school does not always prepare you), and be ready to go onto new material when you actually start classes for credit.
Teh Digital Dragon

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I donít suppose you fancy drifting across the atlantic?
WhupAs101

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teh Digital Dragon wrote:
I donít suppose you fancy drifting across the atlantic?

I don't think my Neon floats. It does many things, but floating is not one. However I wish I could pull off such a feat.

Flion, yeah that's not a horrible idea. However considering how much time I have, I think I'll have plenty of time to prepare after I get back. I might just be gone a couple weeks, I might be gone a month or more, but I doubt I'll be gone the entire semester.
OriginalCrazyone

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like to reccomend something... get a video camera and a digital camera, make a documentary of your travels and then sell it to TLC or Discovery afterwards (if it lasts for a month or more, call it the $20 journey or something) to make back the money from the trip... it sounds like it would be an awesome ride and quite an experience that many people would love to share, if you are willing to share your experiences... or at least share it with your friends here....

-OcO-
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
John Mytton

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get a pistol. I recommend a large-frame S&W .357 Magnum.
Drui

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What kind of stuff are you interested in? I could recommend a boatload to you, but they'd all be nature things, and I don't know if you're into that.
BoySetsFire

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

avoid Midland AND Odessa, in Texas, at all costs. And under no circumstances stay in the Comfort Inn, on the Arkansas side of Texarkana, just off I-20.
Kilgore

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds awesome. My recomemndations:

A) Look for hostels. While they aren't ubiquitous here like they are in Europe, there are a couple hundred scattered throughout the country. Find them online. If you're looking to pay to spend the night somewhere just for the sake of a shower, why not do it at a place where you can get by for 10-50 bucks?

B) Whenever I'm on the road, I buy bagles and bananas. They're great, reasonably healthy food that sticks with you. And they don't require refridgeration or anything. Mmmm....bagels.

-Slick
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Casual Chat All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: