welcome to the fest
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bush's big mouth
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Drui



Joined: 11 Jul 2006
Posts: 541
Location: 'Jersey :}

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 5:35 am    Post subject: Bush's big mouth Reply with quote

So given the exchange between our illustrious president and Tony Blair on Monday, lemme hear your thoughts about the lovely language of the current administration...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Amilam



Joined: 09 Jul 2006
Posts: 922

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think it's that big a deal. It's certainly a bit embarrassing that our President is more than a little lacking in eloquence and class, but we knew that before. Hell, a lot of people voted for him for just that reason (which I find many times more disturbing than an off hand swear word).

Still, none of the opinions he said were remotely surprisingly or misaligned from his public policy.
_________________
"And then the sea was closed again, above us."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
WheelsOfConfusion



Joined: 09 Jul 2006
Posts: 12303
Location: Unknown Kaddath

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 5:53 am    Post subject: Re: Bush's big mouth Reply with quote

Drui wrote:
So given the exchange between our illustrious president and Tony Blair on Monday, lemme hear your thoughts about the lovely language of the current administration...

New Kyooler.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Jinx



Joined: 09 Jul 2006
Posts: 3648
Location: America, fuck yeah!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not even sure why this is news. It is news; I saw it on every major network yesterday / this morning.

So what? In what he thought was a private exchange with someone he's a close friend with, he used the word "shit".

Big. Fucking. Deal.

Now, if he'd said, "I think we should bomb the shit out of Damascus," that would be news. But not because of the word "shit".
_________________
The universe we observe has precisely the properties we should expect if there is, at bottom, no design, no purpose, no evil, no good, nothing but blind, pitiless indifference.
- Charles Darwin
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Marik



Joined: 10 Jul 2006
Posts: 1234

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 8:07 am    Post subject: jesus, blair, those democrats sure are anal cocksmokers Reply with quote

I support and encourage the use of colorful language by presidents.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
cletusowns



Joined: 10 Jul 2006
Posts: 496
Location: Oak Park

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If anything reading the transcript gives you an idea of how the worlds most powerful leaders talk to each other.

That and the UN is useless.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
Sojobo



Joined: 12 Jul 2006
Posts: 2443

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marik wrote:
I support and encourage the use of colorful language by presidents.

But what about professionalism? Cursing is so amateur, so bush... league... sorry.

*hides*
_________________
"To love deeply in one direction makes us more loving in all others."
- Anne-Sophie Swetchine
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
bun bun
Guest





PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jinx wrote:
I'm not even sure why this is news. It is news; I saw it on every major network yesterday / this morning.

So what? In what he thought was a private exchange with someone he's a close friend with, he used the word "shit".

Big. Fucking. Deal.

Now, if he'd said, "I think we should bomb the shit out of Damascus," that would be news. But not because of the word "shit".

His use of the word "shit" isn't what shocked me; like you said, so what? It was something less definitive than that. I don't know what it is for sure, but his personality comes across as scarily petty and self-absorbed if you read the entire article. Maybe they chose their quotes wisely, but I've gotten the same skin-crawly-I-don't-like-this-man feeling from EVERY transcript or video of Bush.

Ever read "blink"? The book about split-second judgements? It has to be something in that category.
Back to top
Sam



Joined: 09 Jul 2006
Posts: 9581

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 9:59 am    Post subject: fuckshit shitfuck united natfuckionsshit Reply with quote

Sojobo wrote:
But what about professionalism? Cursing is so amateur, so bush... league... sorry.

*hides*


I hold cursing to be about necessary in many contexts. Plus, he's President Bush. Seen where he is? He gets to swear all that he wants. If I were stuck reaping like that, I'd swear too.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Sojobo



Joined: 12 Jul 2006
Posts: 2443

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My post was just a vehicle for making an astoundingly bad pun. Any views it may have expressed were not those of the author.
_________________
"To love deeply in one direction makes us more loving in all others."
- Anne-Sophie Swetchine
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Fhqwhgads



Joined: 11 Jul 2006
Posts: 1337
Location: sfcaus

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bun bun wrote:
His use of the word "shit" isn't what shocked me; like you said, so what? It was something less definitive than that. I don't know what it is for sure, but his personality comes across as scarily petty and self-absorbed if you read the entire article. Maybe they chose their quotes wisely, but I've gotten the same skin-crawly-I-don't-like-this-man feeling from EVERY transcript or video of Bush.

Ever read "blink"? The book about split-second judgements? It has to be something in that category.

*nod* Sad Sort of OT, but can I just say, I deliberately registered as a Republican in 1999, not because I'm actually a Republican (I'm not. I'm not party-line anything, ever), but because the state I live in is soooo red that the only chance we had of stopping the Shrub was to vote for McCain in the primaries. The General Elections where I live are a joke.
_________________
There are 4 boxes to use in the defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, ammo. Use in that order. Starting now.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
MsFrisby



Joined: 09 Jul 2006
Posts: 3966
Location: a quiet little corner of crazy

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't you live in Colorado? This state isn't nearly as red as Texas and Arkansas (where I used to live.)

Anyway, it's not the fact that "oooooo.. the president said a BAD WORD!" It's more that he acts so religious and espouses all these hard-line fundamental values and then, when he thinks the mics are off, curses and makes off-color jokes. It offends his main constituency. All those fine christian ladies who allow that the man should be the head of household and those ministers who think sinning = hell and not redemption.
_________________
A person's character is their destiny.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Fhqwhgads



Joined: 11 Jul 2006
Posts: 1337
Location: sfcaus

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MsFrisby wrote:
Don't you live in Colorado? This state isn't nearly as red as Texas and Arkansas (where I used to live.)

Yeah, matter of perspective I guess; MN=DFL-land (or used to at least) Wink Also I think it's not as bad up where you are, Ms Fris... down here in Dobsonville the propaganda machine works long and hard to weed out any instances of thoughtcrime Sad A bastion of the "If you just repeat it long enough it becomes true" theory...

MsFrisby wrote:
Anyway, it's not the fact that "oooooo.. the president said a BAD WORD!" It's more that he acts so religious and espouses all these hard-line fundamental values and then, when he thinks the mics are off, curses and makes off-color jokes.

BINGO. One face per person, please. Mad
_________________
There are 4 boxes to use in the defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, ammo. Use in that order. Starting now.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Drui



Joined: 11 Jul 2006
Posts: 541
Location: 'Jersey :}

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MsFrisby wrote:
Don't you live in Colorado? This state isn't nearly as red as Texas and Arkansas (where I used to live.)

Anyway, it's not the fact that "oooooo.. the president said a BAD WORD!" It's more that he acts so religious and espouses all these hard-line fundamental values and then, when he thinks the mics are off, curses and makes off-color jokes. It offends his main constituency. All those fine christian ladies who allow that the man should be the head of household and those ministers who think sinning = hell and not redemption.

Exactly my thoughts, MsFris... I wish I could find the exact quote, but last night on Nightline, the anchor was asking Bush that if he was going to curse on camera, could he at least stop appointing regulators that would stop the news stations from broadcasting it?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Lemontree



Joined: 10 Jul 2006
Posts: 3298

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 5:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Bush's big mouth Reply with quote

WheelsOfConfusion wrote:
Drui wrote:
So given the exchange between our illustrious president and Tony Blair on Monday, lemme hear your thoughts about the lovely language of the current administration...

New Kyooler.


Once again I shall say....

I <3 Wiki.

Seriously, I'm continually surprised by all that they have on there.

Now back to the subject at hand.. does anyone have a handy link to this transcript? Question
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group