welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Whats so special about... ?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lemontree

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 7:21 pm    Post subject: Whats so special about... ? Reply with quote

Alright I know there are alot of Brits on this forum.. and I saw over in the "You learn something new everyday.." thread, the discussion about brittish currency... So I wanted to start a thread just about that stuff because I've wanted to travel to England for quite a while now, and am desperately attempting to save up and go next Spring-ish.

(Especially since I found out that my Uncle's best friend owns a flat in London, that I would be more than welcome to stay at while I'm there.)

So here's the thing, I don't actually want to spend very much time in London. I'll most likely only be able to visit for about 8-10 days.. but want to see as much of the countryside as possible. I was tentatively thinking of flying to London (dropping off extra luggage at the flat), then traveling to Norfolk, Nottinghamshire, Newcastle, Derbyshire, Cheshire, Bath, then back to London.

I demand to see a football game while I'm there.. (of course I'm sure that'll take some planning, but I thought a Newcastle United game might be fun.) And I demand good pubs and booze! But mainly I just want to see the natural sites as well. And the small old towns.. maybe even rent a bike for some of it.

Any suggestions on great places to visit? Especially in Norfolk? I'm not positive on visiting there yet.. it was just an idea to see that coastline, and especially since I live so close to Norfolk in America. If it really holds nothing interesting, then where should I spend my time instead?

Very Happy
Kilgore

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All I know is that after a couple months in the Czech Republic paying the commission at a British currency exchange felt like being sodomized with a baseball bat.

-Slick
Lemontree

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is rather unfortunate. Confused

At least the baseball bat was spikeless. ...
Rosie Bee

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I've lived in England all my life (31 3/4 years) and you've managed to ask about... all the places I've never been Smile

Actually, I grew up very very near Bath, which is beautiful but very touristy. And I went to Uni. very near Newcastle, which is not very beautiful.

So, good advice from me all round!
Lemontree

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rosie Bee, I like the beautiful, not very touristy type stuff. The different areas I mentioned are just ideas right now, nothings set in stone. Having lived in England all your life, whats on your top 10 for places to see?
Halen

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Durham is beautiful. The Lake District is really beautiful (but you'll need to hire a car). Bath is a good touristy place to go - Brighton if you want kooky shops, a great pavilion and an extraordinarily gay nightlife...

You know, it depends what you like. Do you want old buildings, countryside, history?
richardtock

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go to Hull, it's lovely.

Your only problem with travelling around England is the train fees. They're expensive, man.
Halen

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

richardtock wrote:
Go to Hull, it's lovely.

Shocked are you sure?

Hey, check out Slough while you're there!

Come bombs, fall on Slough...
richardtock

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bombing's hardly going to improve the situation...

Also: don't actually come to Hull. It's terrible.
Celaeno

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I vote...skip Newcastle and go to Durham instead.

And if you're looking for a good travel writing book on England, check out Bill Bryson's Notes From a Small Island.
Teh Digital Dragon

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What the fuck have you got against London?

Fine, if you don't want to see the big city (you gay) cornwall and scotland are perfect pastoral paradises, I really can't recommend them enough. Brighton too is beautiful, sunny and sandy and also has a very vibrant city scene (and as previously mentioned, it's pretty gay, so it'll suit you).

I've stayed in norfolk and found it pretty boring but you might like it, I'd suggest that you spread your net a little less widely if you're only here for 8-10 days though.
Lemontree

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teh Digital Dragon wrote:
What the fuck have you got against London?

Fine, if you don't want to see the big city (you gay) cornwall and scotland are perfect pastoral paradises, I really can't recommend them enough. Brighton too is beautiful, sunny and sandy and also has a very vibrant city scene (and as previously mentioned, it's pretty gay, so it'll suit you).

I've stayed in norfolk and found it pretty boring but you might like it, I'd suggest that you spread your net a little less widely if you're only here for 8-10 days though.

You've probably got a good point about the broad net.. thats more enthusiasm speaking.. kinda like when you go to the grocery store with an empty stomach and come home with waaaay more food than you actually need. *shrug*

As for London.. there's plenty to see there, I'm sure. But I kinda just want to save that for another trip. I want to see the countryside and then enjoy the city later. =b

But lets see, Bill Bryson's "Notes from a small island." Got it, I'll look it up. Thanks!

Just how bad are the train fees? I really had no clue about them yet.

Durham.. gotcha. I'll look into that too. I really want to see the Peak district as well. I hear its gorgeous.

Brighton sounds like a blast, so that'll def. go on my list of places to look into.

Oddly enough, most of my motivation behind Newcastle was just getting me further north at the apex of my trip.. but also I like the beer. ...
Fhqwhgads

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You totally need this.

I mean, if you can find it. And if you're okay with map directions from 1986. Shocked
WheelsOfConfusion

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

richardtock wrote:
Go to Hull, it's lovely.

Lluh ni sklehw slles rehtom ruoy!
Natashabi

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whelks?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Casual Chat All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: